PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening A Leatherman Squirt P4

LIhikers
07-27-2010, 21:22
I found one of these small multi-tools in the road the other day.
It seems to be in OK condition but the blade is pretty dull. Looking at the blade, without my glasses, it looks like it is flat on one side of the blade and beveled on the other side, to form the cutting edge.

Anybody own one of these things and can tell me if that's how it's made, or not ? I want to sharpen it but I'm not looking to change how it's made.

Franco
07-27-2010, 22:54
My Micra is like that...
Franco

grayfox
07-27-2010, 23:05
This is called a chisel grind. You are correct that only one side of the edge is sharpened. This makes it one of the easiest to sharpen because you don't have to worry about getting both sides the same. I think the angle is about 30 degrees. Don't make the angle too shallow or the edge will dull quickly and be too fragile. A stone with a fine and coarse side would probably be the stone of choice. A bit of oil or water, depending on what you like to use and type of stone, and a circular motion should get a good edge back with a bit of patience.

I have a flat diamond file that is very light and does a good enough job till I get home.

Learning to put an edge on tools is an essential wilderness skill in my book and worth the effort to learn. I am always surprised that the guys who share thier 'top ten' survival items lists almost never include a file or stone to sharpen their oversized knife. For the record, my 'survival' knife is an ax and yes a file and stone go with it.
On the trail I use the tiny swiss army with the scissors.

amac
07-28-2010, 05:20
Suggestion for sharpening knives: use a hand-held sander with a super-fine grit sandpaper. Works very well.

Dogwood
07-28-2010, 19:35
Take it to a Butcherer. He'll put a professional keen edge on it lickety split and it usually costs nada.

LIhikers
07-28-2010, 20:03
Thanks for all the info, folks! :)

Bama Jack & Sadie
07-28-2010, 21:11
Take it to a Butcherer. He'll put a professional keen edge on it lickety split and it usually costs nada.

Especially if his name is Sam, and your is Alice.