PDA

View Full Version : Trail Names

Sunshine Tami Jo
07-28-2010, 04:23
I thought it might be fun to learn how some of you or your aquaintences earned their trail names. I'm sure there are some interesting stories out there.

Bucherm
07-28-2010, 04:47
Carry over from my navy nickname.

berkshirebirder
07-28-2010, 07:02
Two Left Feet. Hospital error.

coyote13
07-28-2010, 07:59
when I was young (6 or 7) my Dad asked me if I would rather be Wyle E Coyote or the roadrunner.I said Coyote.
The next morning when I woke up and WASN'T coyote I was quite upset.
Name stuck for the last 45 years

SpoonsMcgoo
07-28-2010, 08:34
My son found 2 headlamps while doing an overnight a couple of years back. He was 4 at the time. He wore them both for the whole hike. Now, he wears them whenever we hike. Day or night.

Llama Legs
07-28-2010, 09:34
Not my trail name...but one that I gave my buddy earlier this year.

We were hiking with the early birds in the snow, temps in the teens at night, and he was reading "The Road" (post-apocalyptic novel) in the shelters...:eek:

Mountain Wildman
07-28-2010, 10:01
I don't have a Trail Name yet, I chose Mountain Wildman for this site because the Trail Town I live in is surrounded by Mountains and my best friend always calls me Wildman. I was going to go with White Mountain Wildman but I figured that was a little long.

Raul Perez
07-28-2010, 10:34
As a kid I always climbed trees and was dubbed monkey by my family. I can even do a decent monkey impression. Even my Niece calls me Uncle Monkey.

So it was easy to go with Trail Monkey.

sidebackside
07-28-2010, 10:46
My story isn't as good as the others on here. Really...it's kinda boring I guess. I got my name from the way I sleep on backpacking trips...in the tent or in the shelter...on my side..over to my back...turn to the other side...and repeat. :) Sidebackside

Spokes
07-28-2010, 10:58
....... rode my bicycle non-supported from Yorktown, VA to Astoria, OR the year before I thru'd. The name kinda stuck.

dzierzak
07-28-2010, 10:59
Son and I did some time on the AT in PA this summer - he ended up with Drafty (hikes in a kilt and likes good beer). He gave me TOP (tired old Pole).

Storm
07-28-2010, 11:05
Real last name is Gale. So Storm has been around for a long long time.

Rocket Jones
07-28-2010, 11:07
Mine is a holdover from another hobby, high power rocketry. Hence, I'm jonesin' for rocket launches.

grayfox
07-28-2010, 12:05
The Gray Fox is from another sport. I was very good at something that a fellow who's nickname was The Silver Fox was good at and a friend gave me an 'also ran' nickname.

I was telling another friend about my exciting plans to do some section hiking next year and how much I wished I had had a chance to hike the AT when I was younger and etc. My friend said, "Hmm, Bittersweet." It seems so appropriate that I gotta go with it.

Manwich
07-28-2010, 12:12
I dehydrate manwich and rehydrate it in the woods and eat it on a tortilla. According to my friends, I'm the first person to ever do this and I'm going down in history as a hero and a savior.

Sunshine Tami Jo
07-28-2010, 12:25
Great stories! Keep 'em coming! I guess I am going to wait until I am somehow bestowed a trail name. I won't choose one for myself, but I'll certainly decide whether to accept one or not!

Llama Legs
07-28-2010, 15:32
Mine is a holdover from another hobby, high power rocketry. Hence, I'm jonesin' for rocket launches.

now that, I need to see pictures of !!

Hikes in Rain
07-28-2010, 15:55
Only have limited times I can head north to hike, rain or shine, so I take it when the time is there. Usually rain, enough so to shake your faith in statistics. As an example, most of Georgia was in the middle of the most severe drought on record in the mid-90's; water was so non-existant the maintainers were leaving 2-liter bottles of water at the sites where springs used to be. I go hiking...and the remnants of a tropical storm settle in for all four days I was out. Even got picked up at Unicoi Gap in pouring rain! I leave the mountains, the rain stops and the drought returned for a couple more years.

couscous
07-28-2010, 16:54
A fellow backpacking with me nine years ago looked at my couscous and proclaimed "you are what you eat" .. and it stuck. Glad I wasn't eating "four cheese instant mashed potatoes" at the time .. that would have been a bit cumbersome.

Rocket Jones
07-28-2010, 17:45
now that, I need to see pictures of !!

From a few years ago: http://rocketjones.mu.nu/archives/234466.php

She'll reach a full mile and change with a maximum motor, recovers under parachute.

My daughter took this photo, which is one of my all-time favorites: http://rocketjones.mu.nu/archives/026849.php

Mountain Wildman
07-28-2010, 17:56

She'll reach a full mile and change with a maximum motor, recovers under parachute.

My daughter took this photo, which is one of my all-time favorites: http://rocketjones.mu.nu/archives/026849.php

Wow, You are into the serious performers, In grammar school I used to build the little ones, mostly Estes, and launch those, still big fun but not as big as your rockets, About 12 years ago I built a Carde Black Brant, It's sitting on my shelf now, never sent it up but I still have the engines for it.
My buddy and I thought about building one about the same size as the one in your picture but we never got off the launch pad(pun intended):D

Llama Legs
07-28-2010, 18:35

Thanks Rocket !

My wife (in Fla) and I (in WNY) were both huge space/rocketry nerds when we were kids.

johnnybgood
07-28-2010, 18:36
Heard it every day as a young lad growing up...:D

Spatchka
07-29-2010, 11:20
Came from a canoe trip at boundary waters.
When asked were i'd gotten off to, a friend who knew I was a big fan of ' A Clockwork Orange'' answed - ' he's having a bit of Spatchka..."
Since it's one of my favorite things to do, it stuck.

Bare Bear
07-30-2010, 16:42
One guy who just refused to accept any of the names our group hiking suggestred dubbed him "Stinky Pants" because...well you can figure the rest.

GoldenBear
07-30-2010, 16:56
It's the nickname for my college team.

crazyonelost
07-30-2010, 22:58
I was on a EMS call with my Volley Fire Dept and had a sticky situation. Where a man was on some kind of drug rage and was being pretty crazy throwing stuff around,breaking things and two kids trapped in the house. The cops hadn't showed up yet and I was scared for the kids and ran in and grabbed them and ran like hell out the door.

I had the father chasing me and he was about 6'7" and about 300 lbs and me 5'4" and 140 lbs and when the cops showed up they said I was one crazy fool for doing something so stupid.

Tinker
07-31-2010, 00:06
My story is in another thread, however I'll give a Reader's Digest version here. I like to modify gear and make it work better, or find multiple uses for things ordinarily only used for one purpose.
I "Tinker" with gear (from a trip on the Long Trail, circa 1995).

RGB
07-31-2010, 00:57
My friends think I read too much Stephen King. What do they know?

See The Stand.

flemdawg1
08-03-2010, 14:44
During the drought of '08, I had to sneak behind some cabins on Log Cabin Rd w/ mine and some friends water bottles as all the springs were dry. Hence: Nalgene Ninja was born.

Screen name is a carryover of a nickname from the Navy.

flemdawg1
08-03-2010, 14:44
I also was a nerdy rocket launching kid, and turned that into an aerospace engineering career.

Bucherm
08-04-2010, 00:41
Screen name is a carryover of a nickname from the Navy.

What was your rate?

<----CTM2...put on E5 the day I went on Terminal! :D

One Leg
08-04-2010, 05:44
"One-Leg" - Not really quite sure exactly how I came about this name. (Joking) - Actually, I've been called "One Leg", "Iron Leg", "Peg Leg", "Pirate", and "Lead Foot" for the shotgun lead that claimed my leg............ The kids took to calling me "Robo Cop" or "Inspector Gadget"............but the one I answer to is, for very obvious reasons, "One Leg".

There was a time, when I was being hounded by unwanted press that I just wanted to be left alone and HIKE, so my brother and my wife coined "The Multiplier" for me, which stemmed from the fact that a) the Bible says "Be fruitful and multiply the earth", so I did my part by multiplying times ten (7 living, 3 deceased).

-Scotty "One-Leg" Rogers (some assembly required)

CatchUp
08-04-2010, 09:36
Newbie here...no trail name yet, but I chose "CatchUp" because I feel like I've missed out on so much...time to "catch up"..

flemdawg1
08-04-2010, 09:36
What was your rate?

<----CTM2...put on E5 the day I went on Terminal! :D

MM2 - also frocked shortly before terminal leave.

FritztheCat
08-04-2010, 11:13
Don't have a trail name yet but was given a call sign when I flew in the back of an F/A-18 jet: Psyfly. Was a great way to end 20 years in the Navy! The pilot gave me the call sign because now that my Navy career has ended, I'm working toward a master's in psychology.

halftime
08-04-2010, 11:25
halftime
I was hiking with a group when bad weather began approaching. Someone said "we will need to do double time to make it". I had an injured ankle so invited group to proceed ahead saying "I'll be lucky to do 'halftime' ".

Carbo
08-04-2010, 14:48
Damnitbobby
This is what my mother called me the whole time I was growing up, everyone thought it was my name.

One Half
08-06-2010, 20:17
My husband got the trail name of Francis during a 10 day trip through the 100 mile wilderness. He's 6'3" and very strong. We were not in charge of packing food and we hiked with some people who liked to brag about how much they packed. 70 lbs for a 140lb man was a heroe's pack. Anyway, each day everyone's pack would get lighter with the exception of my husband's. People kept asking him to take a little bit of their load - like a pack mule he hauled it. Thus Francis (the talking mule).

hailstones
08-06-2010, 23:00
Was caught in a lighting/hailstorm near muskrat creek shelter while trying to hang a bear bag,lighting hit the tree next to me and then the hail decided to commence a beat down,GOOD to be alive!!

GrubbyJohn
08-09-2010, 07:51
my wife gave me mine after a 12 day section hike without a shower or bath... kinda explains it's self.... then she made me ride in the trunk

El Jefe
08-10-2010, 15:45
Got mine for my beard and the type of hat I wear when I hike.The looks seems to bring about the image of a certain Cuban dicatator..

beakerman
08-10-2010, 16:42
got my name as a youth...I had a big nose and was a hardcore chemistry nerd...hence beaker. i even had a muppets t-shirt with ny namesake on it.

i add man to the end when loggin in to various sites because apparently unlike tiggers I'm not the only one.

vinovampire
08-11-2010, 20:55
Vino Vampire!

The name was bestowed upon me during a brilliant night of wine drinking with two of my good friends/hiking partners. There are actually really four parts to the name. The "vino" is obviously because I used to drink wine like some people drink water. Now, I don't even drink. The "vampire" came about because I used to have ridiculously sharp teeth. Now, my teeth aren't nearly as sharp, because my dentist thought they were too sharp and sanded them down (seriously). The "!" exclamation point is because some people say I'm "volatile." And, when I'm signing into trail logs, I sign the V V as fangs!

yeayah!

- VinO vAMPIRe ! -

Old Hiker
08-11-2010, 21:16
I'm old. I hike. I'm usually too tired to be imaginative. :rolleyes:

gunner76
08-11-2010, 21:35
Gunner76

Gunner was nickname in the Maines and I joined in '76

Mango
08-11-2010, 21:43
Early in '06, Matt was on top of a fire tower in N. GA or SW NC on a clear day. He turned all around and exclaimed "You can see 365 degrees from up here." Thereafter, he was 365, even though he resisted for awhile.

Bare Bear
08-13-2010, 13:06
My mom used to call me "Bear" short for Barry. When I was around five years old I guess she was trying to give me a bath and stripped me down and I took off running outside, had to be brought back by my brother. She started calling me "Bare Bear" then. I used to hate it when she called me that in front of my teenage friends but now she is gone it is a nicer memory.

flemdawg1
08-13-2010, 13:54
Early in '06, Matt was on top of a fire tower in N. GA or SW NC on a clear day. He turned all around and exclaimed "You can see 365 degrees from up here." Thereafter, he was 365, even though he resisted for awhile.

Is yours for this guy?
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/www.remotesynthesis.com/.../content/MangoSNL.jpg

Different Socks
08-15-2010, 00:10
As far as i know, I am the first and only "Diffferent Socks" to thru hike the AT. I got my name way back in 1991 when a girlfriend suggested it b/c I wore different colored socks whenever i went hiking.

coyote13
08-15-2010, 07:35
Hey 'socks' I do this too,although not always on purpose.But I always have a pair just like them in my pack.

Cameldung
08-15-2010, 09:51
We were doing some camping in the desert and ran out of wood for the fire. I improvised with....

Mrs Baggins
08-15-2010, 11:11
In New Zealand on a trek trip in 2003. Everyone knew I'm a huge Lord of the Rings fan. Hiked up Fox Glacier and needed a hand up to climb a big boulder for a group photo. A trek mate reached down to help me up and said "Come on Mrs Baggins." I loved it instantly and have used it ever since.

Bearpaw
08-15-2010, 11:28
Picked up the name in the Marine Corps when I was drawing arctic gear for a Norway deployment. I asked for a 9EE cold weather boot. MSgt Hunter joked, "Sir, with short fat feet like that, you won't need your bearpaws!"

Bearpaws are short round snowshoes designed for maneuverability. We would stage our skis in an assault area and go to bearpaws for an attack. I became Lt. Bearpaw instead of Lt. Basil for much of that training cycle (about 3 months).

The name went with me on my AT thru-hike when I got out in 1999.

Bearpaw
08-15-2010, 11:30
Gunner76

Gunner was nickname in the Marines and I joined in '76

Semper Fi brother!

Not Sunshine
08-15-2010, 13:28
Damnitbobby
This is what my mother called me the whole time I was growing up, everyone thought it was my name.

I hope you've heard the skit from Bill Cosby about what he thought his name was. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwYVqMj5i6k

Enjoy.

Sarcasm the elf
08-16-2010, 00:21
Bailey Boy

Adopted it from my trail dog who died before his time. Ever since I started going by it, it's felt a bit like he's still there with me on the trail.

On the plus side, it allows my friends to make frequent Indiana Jones references:

Professor Henry Jones: ...Junior.
Indiana Jones: I like "Indiana."
Professor Henry Jones: We named the *dog* Indiana.
Sallah: You are named after the dog? HA HA HA...!
Indiana Jones: I've got a lot of fond memories of that dog.

Graywolf
08-16-2010, 02:19
I go by Graywolf as I have a fondness for Graywolves and my last name is Gray..My Choctaw name is "Nashoba" which also means Graywolf..

On my section hike I went by, "Windwalker" as I was carrying my Native American Flute with me..

On my thru, I want the Trail to give me a name..Think it would be fun..

Graywolf

Different Socks
08-23-2010, 00:35
We were doing some camping in the desert and ran out of wood for the fire. I improvised with....

Now that's funny!!

Bare Bear
08-23-2010, 11:11
"Stinky Pants" got his name because .........oh you figured it out already.
"VETO" got her name because she kept vetoing every name we tried to give her.

wolf
08-24-2010, 21:56
i would pick up things at camp and store them,
trail rat

Different Socks
08-25-2010, 00:07
Met a female hiker on the trail in 92. She got her name after eating a can of chili and ended up with a case of the ****s. Her trail name? --Atomic Chili--

Met another guy from Sweden that would tell us the strangest, craziest most entertaining stories. We eventually gave him the trail name "The Crazy Swede".

Yet another guy on the AT forgot several times which way he had to go once he left the shelter in the morning. This resulted in a few times of backtracking more than a mile or so. His trail name after that? Wrong Way Ray

At Low Gap north of Neels Gap, a bunch of us met two mailcarriers whom hiked as far as they could on the AT every summer. Since they were from a small town in North Carolina, we bestowed upon them the trail names of "Goober and Gomer".

Lillianp
08-25-2010, 12:36
I fall a lot for unexplained/silly reasons (slipping on an icy surface I've already been standing on for 2 minutes, etc) and sometimes create hazards in my falls/hiking for those right in front or right behind me. I fell 84 times on my thru-hike. (Keeping count made it funny rather than annoying)

Different Socks
08-26-2010, 00:31
I fall a lot for unexplained/silly reasons (slipping on an icy surface I've already been standing on for 2 minutes, etc) and sometimes create hazards in my falls/hiking for those right in front or right behind me. I fell 84 times on my thru-hike. (Keeping count made it funny rather than annoying)

I'm sorry, but I don't see the connection between what you said and your trail name.

kayak karl
08-26-2010, 00:54
we were in NH i think and other hikers were waiting for BAM-BAM. i thought strange name. but later i saw a hiker walking towards me and i said "you got to be BAM-BAM" it was perfect for him LOL

Rocket Jones
08-26-2010, 06:27
I'm sorry, but I don't see the connection between what you said and your trail name.

She put her trail name - Crash Course - in her post title.

earlyriser26
08-26-2010, 06:35
Hiking in Maine back in the 70's I started hiking about 4:30 AM and hiked to a shelter where I was going to stay for the day by about 9AM. The hikers were just getting up and one said you must be an "early riser" and the name kind of stuck.

Waterbuffalo
08-27-2010, 21:54
On a hot August Georgia Section Hike I got dehydrated and heat exaustion and drank all my water. From then on I carry enough water for the group so Waterbuffalo stuck

IronGutsTommy
08-28-2010, 15:05
hope to get one on my thru.

Dogwood
08-28-2010, 15:26
When other hikers found out I was a Horticulturalist/Landscape Designer/AT thru-hiker and carrying 3 books on local wildflowers and plants endemic to the Appalacian Mnts they started asking me to identify all the plants they were experiencing. The white and pink flowered tree they asked me the most about was the American or Florida Dogwood, Cornus florida. Someone at an AT shelter campfire named me Dogwood. I accepted the trailname as I thought it appropriate because it's one of my top 10 small native flowering trees I use in my landscape designs. I also thought the trailname fit my personality as the tree doesn't at first have an endearing name/personality but once you get to know the tree it has many outstanding 4 season landscaping attributes, kinda like myself!

Jonnycat
08-29-2010, 09:04
My Mom gave it to me when I was born.

Dirty Nails
08-29-2010, 17:30
I made a lot of foolish mistakes on my first A/T hike. I jokingly repeated the phrase "If I'm gonna be dumb, I better be tough!". It was determined that I must then be "Tough as nails!"
Hence the trail name "NAILS".

Ace82
05-07-2011, 21:42
Ace- I look like Jim Carey. It beats Loyd Christmas or fire marshal bill:P

30 Large
06-27-2011, 19:06
My trail name comes from a hard lesson learned awhile ago.
I was doing a solo trip up near Face Mountain, BC and came down with a severe case of dehydration. I pushed myself too hard and too fast in attempt to make a flight I had booked and collapsed on the trail. When I came to, I fought the urge to admit defeat (thus making my situation worse), I inevitably had no choice but to use my emergency beacon.
The airlift and ensuing days of recovery cost me around $30,000, hence the name.

Moral of the story: Re-booking a missed flight is always the cheaper route! lol

pdcollins6092
06-27-2011, 19:27
Skunk Ape :)

I figured me being from Florida it would be fitting...

lemon b
06-29-2011, 07:57
Kids gave it to me years ago for carrying lemon wipes.

Mr. BuffaloMan
06-29-2011, 12:14
A very nice Englishman named me Mr. BuffaloMan. I was stubborn when it came to my 70 lb. pack weight on my thru, I come from South Dakota and I bear a slight reseblance to Buffalo Bill Cody.

TheRaven
06-29-2011, 13:11
Living and working at the state park in Martha's Vineyard I kept a bunch of wild ravens as pets...or they kept me..not sure. Fed them every day at lunch, and they woke me up every morning. Combine that with my desire to scavenge any and everything kind of set in motion the name Raven

lush242000
06-30-2011, 19:11
Trail name is Firefly. I got it because I just to smoke and hike at the same time. People kept saying I looked like a damn firefly.

4dogHiker
07-01-2011, 12:20
Firebug: My husband and I were camping several years ago and an old man came up to our campsite while I was building up a fire. he said to my husband "that's quite a firebug you got there."

One-8T
07-01-2011, 13:22
One-8T - My son and I were on a section from Damascus to Marion last year. After the 3 days of great conversations and bonding, he says "Dad, you're 180 degrees different out here. Completely relaxed, never worrying about things from the office, and you seem really really happy." I was taken aback, honored and ashamed all at the same time and vowed to change my life and the way I live. We now hike almost every weekend and have completed three more sections last year and GA this year. Been a happy 180 degrees different ever since. Thus the One-8T on my AT license plate.

Trippy Einstein - First training hike last year with a pack for my then 12 year old son. He throws his full pack (16lbs) on his back for the first time on a trail...takes 5 steps and trips on a root landing face first on a wooden water diverter/step, opening a deep gash on the bridge of his nose. After a minute on the ground, I help him up and he begins a conversation about how the speed at which he was walking (slowly) combined with the distance (short) and rate at which he fell should not have resulted in such a forceful impact. The next hour of conversation centered on velocity, distance, and inertia and migrated into quantum physics and I was again reminded at the astounding intelligence of my son. A few weeks later on a section hike he was expounding on the theory of sub atomic particles and the Hadron Super Collider and tripped badly again. He continued this pattern for the next 8 days - theory -trip - theory - trip. Trippy Einstein was coined forevermore.

Heading back out for a section from Bly Gap to Fontana for more trippy adventures in 2 weeks. Can't wait!

WILLIAM HAYES
07-01-2011, 19:54
the first time i hiked on the AT several years ago I hiked with my episcopal priest -my pack weight was a ridicious 54 lbs -now its 28-30 lbs with everything including one week supplies -i was slow up the mountains back then and out of shape - i did 14 the first day -nearly killed me-his comment was you are slow up the hills and with a first name of bill i am going to call you Hillbilly I never liked the name but it has stuck with me all these years

Hillbilly
AKA
Bill Hayes

squirrel1
07-02-2011, 00:33
I have the attention span of a squirrel on crack. But that's just according to friends, family and co-workers. What do they know. I think ...oooooo shiney thing.....

Jay_NJ
07-03-2011, 12:15
My trail name is "Garter". I found out rather unfortunately that I am mildly allergic to cliff bars and again unfortunately I often have the fastest pace out of most of my hiking partners. Much like the lovely garter snake, I musked the trail (farted constantly) and nearly killed the people behind me. I actually like the name and I now never eat cliff bars.

Silverstone
07-03-2011, 12:19
I thought Silverstone would be a good trail name, just because it's part of my 'porn' name--you know, pet's name/middle name, street you grew up on--but I think that when I hit the trail at Springer, I'll go by 'Double Wide'.

Fat guy from the South, it just works. :D

Papa D
07-03-2011, 12:36
we named a kid "Pig Pen" - just like the Charlie Brown Character, his stuff was always everywhere - he was always the dirtiest of the bunch, couldn't keep mud from caking on his legs, it dried and got in his sleeping bag - there literally seemed to be a dust cloud following him - just like the cartoon - the guy could knock out big miles though.

Chatter98
07-22-2011, 09:50
Looks like this thread is still active, so Ill share mine. It back from 98 when I first started hiking. I was very out of shape and hiking from Springer Mtn to Hawk Mountain shelter at the time was a severe work out for me. My first hike on the A.T.(actually my first solo overnight back packing trip) found me at Hawk Mountain shelter just as it started to get dark. I was exhausted and very hungry. There were two others at the shelter that night, Packer Backer and Tonto, a lovely mother and son pair. As it got dark, I prepared my dinner and they retired to the top level of the shelter to go to sleep. I began to eat my meal in the pitch black of night. Shortly, I heard rustling and twigs breaking over my left shoulder. I slowly twisted around with headlamp in one hand and food in the other. I was greeted by a giant set of eyes and a maw about 5 feet or so away, it was a giant black bear! We stared at each other for a minute and eventually he ambled away, back into the woods.
I was freaked out, this was my first time backpacking and I had just gone face to face with a giant black bear.
I immediately tossed my pot on the table and jumped up and started to shout to the sleeping pair in the shelter about my encounter, Packer Backer slowley woke up and looked at me and said what are you chattering about. I explained what happened. The next morning she told me I should go by Chatter, as I was chattering about bears in the middle of the night. It has stuck ever since. The crazy thing is, the bear looked farther in the dark, when I found his paw print, he was close enough I could have reached out and touched him.
Chatter

usmcpayne
07-22-2011, 12:00
got mine while in Iraq. Apparently being there for a long time makes you say dumb things and well they still call me that 5 years later

swash
07-22-2011, 16:05
Highline - for the love of my low cut REI socks and my extra long REI sock liners. When pulled all the way up my liners go a good 3" past the top of my socks. It's my favorite everyday hiker fashion statement.

Ironbelly
07-22-2011, 16:27
Ironbelly: Got my trail name doing a 3 month trek, and a seperate 1.5 month trek in the heart of the winter. Given to me by my brother. I used to also play everquest on occassion, it's the name of a big ass polar bear in the game. Seeing as how I love winter backpacking, it was just kinda fitting.

Rick Hancock
07-22-2011, 17:22
Actually, I have 2 but only use 1 in mixed company. First is "Rambunctious Boy" from a John Fogerty song, my daughter was "Midnight Special". Several years ago I canceled a couple of hikes due to severe weather. I don't mind hiking in the rain or snow but it seemed foolish to leave town and head into the eye of the storm. One of the guys I hiked with remembered a scene from the movie "My dog Skip". the main character is getting picked on by 3-4 other kids and he run's home, they follow him yelling "TittyBoy"! After canceling the hikes I started being called Titty Boy, truth be told, I kinda like it. The guy that gave me the name is "Coonass" I definitely like "Titty Boy" better!

creekfreek
08-23-2011, 20:41
I'm a kayaker and spend a lot of time exploring creeks. "Creekfreek" seemed obvious when I started joining various forums and has been my handle for about 12 years.

Not long ago, while on a float, we stopped for lunch on some rocks mid river. After eating I decided to take a nap. One of the other kayakers said later, that I looked like a turtle and sounded like a bear, so they started calling me Turtlebear.

I'm not partial one way or the other, but Creekfreek feels right, like an old pair of shoes.

Serial 07
08-23-2011, 21:05
i got accused of assaulting someone with their own hiking poles....a serial killer was born...

I'm gimpy
08-23-2011, 22:44
I sprain my ankles very easliy. First 15 mins in the morning I limp around til my ankles loosen up. It's not the most colorful name, but I like it.

MedicineWoman2012
08-25-2011, 21:57
I am no stranger to helping a fello hiker out during medical crisis or injuries...granted trail Angels have done the same for me. After giving first aid to a doc in SNP that was limping and hoisting his bp to skyline drive...AngelsWings stuck with me among his buddies. TURBO was the first name I received as a long distance sea kayaker and white water kayaker.

Wombat Farm
08-25-2011, 23:14
At birth....

runt13
02-13-2012, 01:04
runt, my brothers gave me the name. everyone was 200+ pounds and solid muscle, i was 170 and not.

RossSFCA
02-13-2012, 02:18
DirtyGirl, because I wore Dirty Girl Gaiters (dirtygirlgaiters.com) during my 218-mile John Muir Trail hike... I did not even get out of Tuolumne Meadows without other hikers or Park Rangers pointing at me (well, my gaiters) and saying "DirtyGirl!". This happened over and over again, which was fun, because it felt like total strangers knew my trail name! :)

For the record, they were pink gaiters with bright red cherries all over them (her current pattern is black with red cherries). I have gotten five other pair to wear on my 2,184-mile AT NoBo thru-hike... look for the guy with the funny gaiters and say "HI!"... or just shout "DirtyGirl!!"

SCRUB HIKER
02-13-2012, 02:58
SCRUBHIKER is an anagram of my real first and last name. Two people on the AT last year discovered my true identity without hints. Everyone else who tried at least needed me to spot them some initials, or my first name. It's an easier game to play when the letters are written down in front of you instead of having to visualize it in your head.

TOMP
02-13-2012, 03:45
scrubhiker is an anagram of my real first and last name. Two people on the at last year discovered my true identity without hints. Everyone else who tried at least needed me to spot them some initials, or my first name. It's an easier game to play when the letters are written down in front of you instead of having to visualize it in your head.

chris burke?

SCRUB HIKER
02-13-2012, 13:19
Sshhhh.

/10

dmperkins74
02-14-2012, 07:03
my son watched this show that had a character called "Alpha Pig"... so he named me AlphaPig.

www.gdbdp.com/at

Wrongwayrusty
02-19-2012, 01:07
Im a tow truck driver known for going the wrong way on the interstate :)

Northern Lights
02-19-2012, 01:27
Im a tow truck driver known for going the wrong way on the interstate :)

Think I met you in Ga, last year. We asked you how you could smoke and hike the hills.

Many Moons
09-21-2012, 21:26
I thought it might be fun to learn how some of you or your aquaintences earned their trail names. I'm sure there are some interesting stories out there.

I got my name from it being my real name. Since I was little everyone calls me Miller. Since my first name is Tim a lot of time friends call me Miller Time. Started my long section this April for a full AT finish in 2017 as Many Moons. but Miller just fits better. Hike On!!!!