PDA

View Full Version : Delaware Water Gap

Porkroll
07-28-2010, 11:56
I am planning a 3 to 4 day trip from DWG. I wanted to know how the parking is there. Or does anybody know of a shuttle service from Trenton? I am hoping to go 8/3 - 8/6.

jersey joe
07-28-2010, 13:02
I am planning a 3 to 4 day trip from DWG. I wanted to know how the parking is there. Or does anybody know of a shuttle service from Trenton? I am hoping to go 8/3 - 8/6.
There is ample parking at the Deleware Water Gap. Are you looking to shuttle, planning a loop back to the DWG, or are you looking to leave a car somewhere up the trail?

Porkroll
07-28-2010, 13:05
There is ample parking at the Deleware Water Gap. Are you looking to shuttle, planning a loop back to the DWG, or are you looking to leave a car somewhere up the trail?
I will most likely loop back to DWG. Thought I'd inquire as to the possibility of shuttling from Trenton to trailhead, and then back.

10-K
07-28-2010, 13:45
I parked at the Recreation Area right off the interstate 2 times, both times for more than a week, with no problems.

Porkroll
07-28-2010, 13:51
I parked at the Recreation Area right off the interstate 2 times, both times for more than a week, with no problems.
Thanks 10-K. That's probably what I will end up doing. Just looking for some reassurance, I guess.:confused:
I'd rather have my own vehicle so I can return when I want. I am hiking with my 13 yo son. So we planned for 3 - 4 days, but his endurance (or mine!) will determine the ultimate length of the trip.

ExosC3
07-28-2010, 14:35
DWG is a pretty populated area in terms of parking and hiking. Theres a large recreation area by the main ranger station and theres a lot of parking there too.

Bags4266
07-28-2010, 14:39
The North bound side parking area of rt 80 can get very crowded on a nice weekend.

jersey joe
07-28-2010, 15:55
The North bound side parking area of rt 80 can get very crowded on a nice weekend.
The area by the ranger station/bathrooms seems like it is a little safer place to park than the northbound smaller parking lot.

10-K
07-28-2010, 17:03
The area by the ranger station/bathrooms seems like it is a little safer place to park than the northbound smaller parking lot.

Just to clarify, I parked by the ranger station/bathrooms that you're talking about. 10 days once and 12 the other - no problems.

Bags4266
07-28-2010, 17:25
Yes, the SB side prob. would be better

Porkroll
10-24-2010, 22:58
Well, I never did update about my trip.
We intended to do a 3-4 day hike, out and back from DWG, NB.
So my son an I arrived at DWG on 8/3, late in the day, around 3 PM.
We just had a lot of little things going on that delayed us, but we made it.
We hoisted our packs, and off we went.
I took a picture of my son at the AT sign leaving the parking lot, and the camera died. That was an omen, but I didn't catch on.
So on up the trail we go, and my son starts to ask for breaks after about half an hour. So I give in once and a while. (I'm not as mean he thinks!) After we cross the trail at about half way, my son falls on the rocky trail and gets a nice cut on his right leg. I push him onward,telling him camp is not far away. When we finally make the camp, he is hurting pretty bad. Luckily there was a group of teens there from a youth camp. As I was cleaning up my son, they offered to share their spaghetti dinner with us!:D
After dinner and some conversation with the teens, my son and I return to our site, which we had set up before dinner. We used our ENO hammocks, and man was I comfy!
In the morning, my son's leg hurt so bad where he was cut, that he begged me to go home, so we did. But not before he fell again, reopening the cut on his leg. After another first aid break, we descended the trail to my car. My poor son was so exhausted, and in alot of pain. He crashed in the passenger seat, and slept about half of the ride home.
So the trip was a disaster, poor planning on my part! And my son does not want to go again.:(
So I will gently coax him into another hiking trip, maybe not on the AT, but definitely I will get him out hiking, again! This time, maybe I'll even bring his sister!

Marta
10-25-2010, 07:08
Ouch! Sorry to hear about your son's misfortunes.

Porkroll
11-23-2010, 21:02
Thanks Marta. I am working on getting back to the AT, this time with our scout troop. I think that my son would do better with some of his friends along for the trip. We are looking at April as a possible date, it depends on what happens to our planned Mountain Biking trip. It doesn't look good for the biking, so some contingency plans are being made, and an AT hike is one of them.

LIhikers
11-23-2010, 23:41
If and when you do get him, and the scout troop, back out there why not go someplace a little easier like Stokes State Forest or High Point State Park. At least that way he won't have to start off facing an uphill and can ease into the hike.

squirrelstew
12-29-2010, 14:19
I recommend a lot of day hikes - like 30 or 40! - some strenuous, before taking a kid on an overnight.

emerald
12-30-2010, 00:36
Good information on the NPS website which I have linked many times before. Will need to find it later unless someone else would be so kind to search and link it.