PDA

View Full Version : which is better?

Maddog
07-28-2010, 16:34
marmot helium +15 or western mountaineering versilite? im a hammock hanger. money is not an issue on this piece of gear. thanks!!! maddog

Mountain Wildman
07-28-2010, 16:39
I've never owned either, I have a Feathered Friends now but my next bag is between Feathered or Western, Probably Western because they are so light.

bigcranky
07-28-2010, 17:10
Does the Marmot have a full zipper? If so, it's a tossup. If it has a half zipper, I would get the WM.

johnnybgood
07-28-2010, 17:12
I don't believe you can go wrong with either bag . Not sure if you're talking insulation are all around durability.

Dogwood
07-28-2010, 17:41
You might want the warmer Versalite if you hang out in colder temps.

Presently, I have a 1/2 zip 2006 Helium. It's still in very good shape retaining almost all of its original loft despite having been washed 1/2 doz times and having over 10,000 trail miles on it. Love it. I will be sad to see my old friend be replaced. However, when I deem it has seen better days the Versalite is at the top of the list to replace the Helium in my slightly rearranged sleeping bag line-up.

I have slept in both the Helium and Versalite at their rec temp ratings. Both are true to their ratings. If anything, WM is a tiny bit conservative with their temp ratings. Both are well made, at least the model yr that I got in the Helium!

I would see if I could lie down in each sleeping bag before I bought either or buy from an outfitter that allows no hassle returns. Fit is very similar for both bags but doesn't hurt to check first though.

Hoop
07-28-2010, 18:03
Have you compared the dimensions to see if one is better suited to your bod? The WM website has all the specs on their bags (I have a Versalite), don't know about the Marmot.

Maddog
07-29-2010, 09:45
thanks for all the responses! i guess what i was really asking, is the WM worth the extra $100? maddog

garlic08
07-29-2010, 13:23
thanks for all the responses! i guess what i was really asking, is the WM worth the extra $100? maddog

Your first post said money was no object. I would agree with those above who would get the Versalite if that were the case. But if money is a consideration, I'd go with the Helium.

I own the Helium and have just over half the mileage Dogwood has on his and feel the same about it--you'd have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands (which I feel would never happen if I'm in that bag). (Plus, I got it on sale for $180.)

My good friend has owned both WM and Marmot bags, and is now a convert to Marmot. It's because of the cost.

Maddog
07-29-2010, 15:58
Your first post said money was no object. I would agree with those above who would get the Versalite if that were the case. But if money is a consideration, I'd go with the Helium.

I own the Helium and have just over half the mileage Dogwood has on his and feel the same about it--you'd have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands (which I feel would never happen if I'm in that bag). (Plus, I got it on sale for $180.)

My good friend has owned both WM and Marmot bags, and is now a convert to Marmot. It's because of the cost.

thanks for all the info guys! youve been a big help! maddog

STICK
07-29-2010, 20:15
I recently purchased the Helium. It is a very nice bag. In terms of use, I have not been able to take it out in the field yet, but it is EN rated to 16*. The WM is not EN rated, but they are a quality company with nothing but great reviews. IMO, you will not go wrong with either bag. (And yes, the Helium is a full zip, and actually a two way zip so you can unzip the bottom to vent a little if needed.)

I am wanting to get the WM Antelope MF for my winter bag, but after using my new summer quilt I am thinking I may go with the Nunatak Expedition quilt. They are rated the same temperature but the Nunatak is slightly more expensive. However, the quilt is also lighter... (May be nice to have in the hammock too...)

Will you be using an underquilt?

STICK
07-29-2010, 20:23
Oh, and comparison:

They are the same size in the shoulders (62"), but the Helium is 1" more in the footbox (39" vs 40")
The Helium uses 19 oz of 850+ DF while the Versalite uses 20 oz of 850+ DF
The overall weight of my Helium is 34.5 oz and the Versalite is listed at 32 oz.
The Versalite features a full draft collar, while the Helium does not.

Wags
07-30-2010, 00:08
i would disagree with both bags and recommend you look into a quilt. they are better suited for hammocking...

here's where i'd begin my search:

http://hammockgear.com/

top quilt 3 season burrow (22oz)
+3/4 crow's nest. (16oz)
+no need for an underpad
=you're good to go

great hammock info here:

www.hammockforums.net (http://www.hammockforums.net)