PDA

View Full Version : And again.............

Mrs Baggins
07-28-2010, 17:39
http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/one-dead-two-killed-in-bear-attack-at-montana-campground/19572412

Mountain Wildman
07-28-2010, 17:47
I was never tuned in to bear situations since I always car camped, And always on the east coast, It's not the A.T. but there seems to be some kind of incident in the news every couple weeks. It's truly sad that a person was killed in this bear attack.

kanga
07-28-2010, 17:52
Sometimes this kind of stuff happens in bear country. Sad, but that's the risk you run if you choose to go there.

Wise Old Owl
07-28-2010, 17:59
You are more likely to get mauled by an on coming car in an accident, Mrs. Baggins. Keep that bear spray handy.....

Jack Tarlin
07-28-2010, 18:07
In most years, you can count the number of fatal bear attacks in the United States on one hand.

In many years, you can do this if you're missing a couple of fingers.

But year in, year out, an American dies in their bathtub almost every single day of the year.

Just out of curiousity, when was the last time you read anything on-line or elsewhere talking about the insidious threat of bathtubs?

Honestly, people, conquer your fears. Your chances of getting killed by a bear are around the same as winning Powerball and getting struck by lightning while collecting your ticket.

In short, I wouldn't dwell on it.

Dogwood
07-28-2010, 18:20
Just out of curiousity, when was the last time you read anything on-line or elsewhere talking about the insidious threat of bathtubs? Jack Ralin

We don't hear more about the greater risk of dieing in the bathtub because bathtubs are familiar to humans while big bad bears represent a great mysterious unknown where humans may not be at the top of the food chain which translates in many folk's minds to being a greater risk. Isn't that what we are taught, be fearful/suspicious of what you do not know or understand?

johnnybgood
07-28-2010, 18:23
It appears the bad news bears live out west . Never heard of so many related bear deaths in such a short time frame .

skinewmexico
07-28-2010, 18:28
Too much food in the food chain. Expect the number of predators to explode in the next few years, and see more issues like bear attacks. It's just nature trying to re-balance.

mudhead
I'm not swimming off Cape Cod anytime soon, if that's what you mean.

Llama Legs
Totally agree with the "don't dwell" on (black) bear philosophy. But...

Use good sense with food handling and food waste disposal (btw, should have NO food waste). Segregate all your smell items from other gear. Keep your sleeping gear and sleep clothes away food contact at all times.

It's really not that hard to do and in turn, you'll have almost no issues with mice and raccoons either.

Bags4266
07-28-2010, 18:30
Well more people "on average" step into a bathtub than tent near bears. So yes there will be more deaths in a bathtub. They don't equate.

Skidsteer
07-28-2010, 18:36
It's all part of the vast animal conspiracy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LDnQpD_uFQ

Jack Tarlin
07-28-2010, 18:36
Getting nature to "re-balance" may prove difficult.

Another option is to take up hunting and bring your kids along, too.

It keeps numbers at a reasonable level; it does the job that natural predators once did; and the money generated thru fees and licenses raises millions of dollars every year that support and maintain wildlife and their habitat.

Some of the most ardent environmentalists I know are also ardent hunters, tho unfortunately, their numbers, at least in the Northeast, are diminishing, which is too bad; for example, we probably have more deer in this country now than we did during the Revolution. And in other areas, deer aren't the problem, but bears are. And unfortunately, wishing the problem away won't accomplish much.

kanga
07-28-2010, 18:50

You are not right. That was friggin hilarious!

Dogwood
07-28-2010, 18:58
Well more people "on average" step into a bathtub than tent near bears. So yes there will be more deaths in a bathtub. They don't equate.

Actually, I have reliable figures that say more people have tented in "bear country" in the last 10 yrs than thru-hikers that have stepped into bathubs in the last 10 yrs!

Mrs Baggins
07-28-2010, 19:11
There's another news story about a bear stealing a car! It's not that I believe bears are a bigger threat than dying in a bathtub. It's just stories in the news.......and the people who always believe it's the fault of the humans every single time. No it's not. Sometimes there are just mean, rogue animals just like there are mean rogue people.

Dogwood
07-28-2010, 19:20
GRRRH!

Human behavior plays a significant role in the majority of bear attacks! Go to any NP that has issues with bears and they tell you the same thing.

Skidsteer
07-28-2010, 19:24
GRRRH!

Human behavior plays a significant role in the majority of bear attacks! Go to any NP that has issues with bears and they tell you the same thing.

Yeah but there's no excuse for stealing a car.

Dogwood
07-28-2010, 19:30
Lol lol lol!

Mountain Wildman
07-29-2010, 00:35
Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My.:eek:
It will take much more than a few animals to keep me from Thru-Hiking the A.T.
I agree that the chances are slim of an aggressive animal confrontation on the A.T., But I've read up on the appropriate actions to take if such a confrontation should occur. To be honest, I'd rather deal with a bear than a mountain lion.
Actually, Neither is preferable.:sun

mick2360
07-29-2010, 06:37
Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My.:eek:
It will take much more than a few animals to keep me from Thru-Hiking the A.T.
I agree that the chances are slim of an aggressive animal confrontation on the A.T., But I've read up on the appropriate actions to take if such a confrontation should occur. To be honest, I'd rather deal with a bear than a mountain lion.
Actually, Neither is preferable.:sun

Interesting point; there is an increase in catamount sightings in the NY area. The DEC denies it but I'm wondering if people would go to the trouble of making reports.

Lots of bear here in the NY/NJ boundary area. Most of the hikers I've talked to hear them at night and are not bothered, likely an outcome of proper food storage; don't keep that half eaten snickers in your tent.

The bears I have seen have been shy and move off if given time; note to self...let the bear decide when to move!

coyote13
07-29-2010, 07:17
quite a few big cat sightings here in Florida panhandle and bears are a common site.people don't think of that in Florida but it is true.I actually have a beaver problem on one end of the property here.I believe that as long as you store food properly,do not molest,feed or bothr the bears your chances of being attacked are very slim.
oh yeah, don't chase the 'cute' little cub thru camp trying to get a picture.

fiddlehead
07-29-2010, 07:47
I'd rather deal with a bear AND a Mt. Lion than a Gibbon.

IceAge
07-29-2010, 09:50
I'd rather deal with a bear AND a Mt. Lion than a Gibbon.9082

Euell Gibbons?

Spogatz
07-29-2010, 12:38

Euell Gibbons?

Many parts of a pine tree are edible......

weary
07-29-2010, 16:06
News by definition is reports on the unusual, not the usual. Bear attacks are reported in the media because bear attacks are rare.

Similarly, hiker deaths are reported in great detail. In contrast, an ATV rider getting killed is worth no more than paragraph or two in most newspapers.

Why the difference? Hiker deaths are rare. Kids run into rocks and trees and die on their ATVs and snowmobiles frequently.

It's rare for a hiker to get killed, either by accidents or from animal attacks. It's common for folks in motor vehicles to die.

Weary

Wise Old Owl
08-02-2010, 09:04
I'm not swimming off Cape Cod anytime soon, if that's what you mean.

I not swimmingin my bathtub either... I stick to showers!:D

Wise Old Owl
08-02-2010, 09:09

Fantastic Skidsteer! Great Find!

TOW
08-02-2010, 09:24
http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/one-dead-two-killed-in-bear-attack-at-montana-campground/19572412bears be hungry.......

Incahiker
09-07-2010, 15:50
I tell you what, I will never go camping in Griz Country. There is just something about those grizzlies that strike fear deep within. I can tolerate black bears, even though the last one I saw was chest tall on all 4s (pretty indimidating). But the grizzlies are another story. I know I might be missing a lot by not camping or hiking in those places, but there is enough beautiful land where they don't linger. If I saw one in the wild I think I would die from a heart attack before it would do anything.

JAK
09-07-2010, 16:09
Nice thing about drowning in the bath tub is that you know people won't be talking about you on the internet, talkinf about how unprepared you were, what swimming lessons you may or not have taken, how a life jacket and beacon might have saved your life, the cost of paramedics responding to the 911 call, debating what a safe water level is, discussing the evolution of humans and water and how we have to assert our dominion over the elements, stuff like that.

Pedaling Fool
09-07-2010, 16:17
That's true JAK, but your name will be brought up when talking about nominees for a Darawin Award.

JAK
09-07-2010, 16:20
So far, always the bridesmaid.:)

kanga
09-07-2010, 16:23
So far, always the bridesmaid.:)
haha! funniest thing you've ever posted!

Dogwood
09-07-2010, 16:42
I bet those bear attacks were on hikers sleeping in those bright orange and red MSR tents which bears find annoying!

Smile
09-07-2010, 18:03
I bet those bear attacks were on hikers sleeping in those bright orange and red MSR tents which bears find annoying!
And they smell kinda sweet like honey :)