PDA

View Full Version : rainbow springs

Trail Dog
11-13-2004, 19:24
any one know if rainbow springs campground has closed for good?

Brushy Sage
11-14-2004, 18:07
I'm guessing you already know their website has been taken down and their phone line taken out of service. I hoped to drive over there today (Sunday)and take a look, however I got delayed and didn't make it past Highlands (NC).

Lilred
11-14-2004, 22:02
I was at Indian Springs Campground around Oct. 22nd, and the manager there told me they had sold it to a developer. Don't know how reliable a source he is, but that's what he said.

hacksaw
11-21-2004, 22:47
I happen to know the developer and, unfortunately, it's toast.

Hammock Hanger
11-21-2004, 22:55
What a shame. I spent many good times there with my husband and son, as well as when I was section hiking the area. It was a beautiful place. Sue/HH

hacksaw
11-22-2004, 00:39
I'm with you, sue. I met one of the finest trail friends I'll ever know right there at the picnic tables. George Goldman, Sr.

Hacksaw

hmmm....no icon for a shed tear.

Ridge
11-22-2004, 08:42
What are the future plans for Rainbow Springs?

Doctari
11-22-2004, 13:45
I stayed at Rainbow springs once, and visited a few other times during the days of B & J.

I will miss the campground as I would a good friend. This is a huge loss to the AT community.

Doctari.

:(

max patch
11-22-2004, 14:30
Hacksaw, I don't belong to the GATC but I've bumped into Mr. Goldman several times on the trail in Georgia and have always enjoyed talking to him. Very nice man. Its been at least 5 years or so since I've run into him; does he still get out on the trail much?

smokymtnsteve
11-22-2004, 18:00
I'm with you, sue. I met one of the finest trail friends I'll ever know right there at the picnic tables. George Goldman, Sr.

Hacksaw

hmmm....no icon for a shed tear.

Hacksaw, I don't belong to the GATC but I've bumped into Mr. Goldman several times on the trail in Georgia and have always enjoyed talking to him. Very nice man. Its been at least 5 years or so since I've run into him; does he still get out on the trail much?

I see Uncle George almost everyday, he still gets out some, just finished the annual DALTON GANG trip to Le Conte.

smokymtnsteve
11-22-2004, 18:03
also great story Hacksaw, shared it with Uncle George this morning over coffee, he wants to "publish" it, and give away copies...

what do ya think? :-?

hacksaw
11-22-2004, 18:29
Steve,

I ran it by my publicist and he don't care none, we got enough on the plate trying to clear other works for publication (anyone remember the "Stover Creek Haint" teaser of a couple of years past?) so jump on it, Bud, just shoot me a private email and let me clear the copyright for you.

Ridge, re: rsc

As I recall that's about 10 acres plus or minus and I believe he said something like six or eight one acre plus McMansion lots..... gag!

I have known this man for some time and he's a really nice guy, he just fell in with the wrong crowd and became a developer....what can I say.

AT Troll- re: the story Steve and I were referring to is the latest rewrite of the story of how I became Hacksaw. I will be happy to post it here I just am not sure where the proper place would be and my butt still burns from the last flame job I got here. :rolleyes:

attroll
11-22-2004, 23:36
AT Troll- re: the story Steve and I were referring to is the latest rewrite of the story of how I became Hacksaw. I will be happy to post it here I just am not sure where the proper place would be and my butt still burns from the last flame job I got here. :rolleyes:
Is the story that bad? LOL.

smokymtnsteve
11-23-2004, 00:46
It includes some very disreputable "characters" :D

Lugnut
11-23-2004, 01:55
It includes some very disreputable "characters" :D

Like "The Weasel"? :-? :D

SGT Rock
11-23-2004, 02:30
Speaking of the Weasel, I haven't seen him on since I got back from Iraq.

Hacksaw, how have you been. Have you been well enough to get in some trail time?

hacksaw
11-23-2004, 02:57
Lugnut,

THE Weasel wasn't around for my trail naming, however my darling daughter hung his on him! Smoky Mtn Steve gets costar billing on this one. :D

Rock, Buddy, I was up the weekend before last from Springer over to three forks and down Noontootla Creek to Askey Road and back then on up to Hightower Gap and down to the ranger base and out, it was a hoot! Springer lot on FS 42 was packed! we got dropped and picked up. Unfortunately it was an SAD that ended rather unpleasently (That's Search and Detain) did back to back all niters but the trail is safer/cleaner/nicer from our efforts. Nasty characters, exciting persuit, hadn't used that skillset in a long time, but it ain't gone away! ;) I got to play with one of them new full auto Glocks..BAD to the bone and a 50 round clip! Weighs like about 3 potato chips w/o ammo. You seen one yet?

How you liking Maryville?
When you coming down?

Hacksaw

SGT Rock
11-23-2004, 08:31
Hacksaw,

Outstanding! You must have found the right stuff to get you out if you are running around like a 19 year old Marine again. I haven't made any plans yet, but Maryville is nice because I can be on the trail on a whim instead of planning for weeks and all that goes with living hundreds of miles from a trail. The job is training NG units to prepare them to go to Iraq and hopefully help them keep out of trouble over there. My job is sort of like reacting to contact - you can rarely plan anything. That being said, I am trying to plan some hikes to take my oldest boy down around Springer, and I would also like to cover some gaps between NOC and Erwin so I have the entire section to Damascus done. Probably won't happen until Spring, but I would love to see you again and maybe if you are up for it, we can do some miles. If you are ever in the Smoky Mountain area and you need a shuttle let me know.

Moose2001
11-23-2004, 10:21
Hacksaw! Hey...I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. Hope things are going well for you. When you planning on picking up the hike and heading North again? I'm planning on being down your way in April. Might just run into you out on the trail.

Lugnut
11-23-2004, 11:06
Lugnut,

THE Weasel wasn't around for my trail naming, however my darling daughter hung his on him!
Knew that part. Thought the name might have been a payback.
Have you heard anything from him?

hacksaw
11-23-2004, 16:41
Hey guys, the weather goes to crap and we all come out of the woodwork!

Haven't heard back from Russ, but I emailed him the other day and Daemon didn't kick it back, so his email address is still active.

He was having some serious issues last time we spoke, I hope he's worked through it.

HEY MOOSE!!!!! good to hear from you, old man! I been feeling pretty chipper of late, actually been doing some tracking for some of the local agencies down here. I forgot how much fun I used to have doiing that stuff! They also got some 'way cool toys these days, like an automatic .40 cal that'll empty a fifty round clip(FULL auto) in about two shakes and weighs nothing! Even has a muzzle stabilizer...Damn accurate and reeeely scary if you're on the wrong end of it, and some night vision stuff that can pinpoint MICE at a hundred yards!!! Great for shelter clearing! (Hey, I see nothing wrong with hunting mice with a bazooka, especially a full automatic one!)

Moose, Rock and the rest of you guys when you get ready to come down this way, PLEASE get in touch! I'd love to see you! I've hit on some really cool Non AT hikes that are big time fun and very accesable. The more I get around the more I learn about the cool stuff we got around here.

Gotta go, I'm cooking dinner tonight! (Italian sausage and peppers 'n onions over spaghettini primavera, a Hacksaw especiality!!!) :jump

Kerosene
11-23-2004, 18:41
The Weasel hasn't been on this board since September 2002. He was based in southeast Michigan and I had lunch with him earlier that summer in Ann Arbor. He was in the legal profession and periodically landed overseas work. It's possible that he stopped posting because he was spending so much time writing missives during business hours!

smokymtnsteve
11-23-2004, 19:05
ah yes THE WEASEL...

he kant hear any better than I kan. ;)

hacksaw
11-23-2004, 23:16
That's the boy!

Steve, have Uncle George let me know what he wants to do with the story. If you think you can swing it, let's do lunch sometime, I'd like to sit down with you both.

Oh, and THE Weasel is also a Federal Judge and quite independant in both thought and activity. I 'magine he does have a bit on his plate. He might be ovare in China, I know he had a daughter in the Peace Corps there for a time, things being so rapidly changing in our relations with the big Red one, he might have landed a gig lawyerin' for somebody. He does constitutional law and international law as well, and was into arbitration for a time.

Hacksaw

smokymtnsteve
11-24-2004, 10:36
Hacksaw we will have to hurry on that lunch as I have been offered a position in Healy AK, begining ASAP. the job is managing a racing dog kennel for a Yukon Quest musher. So I will be living in a log cabin in Healy AK, in view of the Alaska range out on the old Stampede trail. If I accept the job (and I think I will) and go, I am only going to buy a one-way ticket, maybe after I get settled you could come up for lunch in Healy, we could go to Black Diamond grill, where my son SMOKYMTNRED works as an ATV guide. or I could just feed you some dog food (moose steak), that is if you can tolerate the dogs howling, my hearing loss will come in as handy on this job, as it did the night at plum orchard. If Life hands you lemons make lemonade!

attroll
11-24-2004, 12:25
Steve

Steve you're buying a one way ticket. Will you ever come back? Would like to meet you someday. Don't know when it will be. But I sure would like to. Does that mean I have to come to Alaska to do it?

Lilred
11-24-2004, 12:37
Steve

Steve you're buying a one way ticket. Will you ever come back? Would like to meet you someday. Don't know when it will be. But I sure would like to. Does that mean I have to come to Alaska to do it?

Hmmmm I am thinking Alaska would make a great place for the next White Blaze gathering??? :-? ;)

Best of luck on your new job Steve. I'd grab it in a heartbeat.

smokymtnsteve
11-24-2004, 12:44
If and when I get settled I will invite you all up for a visit.

mind you that I have NOT offically accepted the position, my next communication with Dave will be on Thanksgiving when he will be in Fairbanks for the holiday.
I have to make a final decision by then but I'm 99% sure.

http://www.daltongangkennels.com/

I would be living in the Healy cabin (pics)

Lone Wolf
11-24-2004, 12:48
You gonna have a puter so you can continue to aggravate some here on Whiteblaze? :)

Youngblood
11-24-2004, 12:49
If and when I get settled I will invite you all up for a visit.

mind you that I have NOT offically accepted the position, my next communication with Dave will be on Thanksgiving when he will be in Fairbanks for the holiday.
I have to make a final decision by then but I'm 99% sure.

http://www.daltongangkennels.com/

I would be living in the Healy cabin (pics)

SMS,

What did Abbey have to say about this? Just a joke, sounds like you have at least one good reason to go, with your son being there. Good luck with whatever you do.

Youngblood

smokymtnsteve
11-24-2004, 13:04
You gonna have a puter so you can continue to aggravate some here on Whiteblaze? :)

the cabin is off the electrical grid, there is a generator, but no puter access,
there is cell phone coverage, and also the public library in Healy which is a few miles away.

smokymtnsteve
11-24-2004, 13:08
SMS,

What did Abbey have to say about this? Just a joke, sounds like you have at least one good reason to go, with your son being there. Good luck with whatever you do.

Youngblood

PLEASE STAND FOR THE GOSPEL OF ABBEY!

"How to Overthrow the System: brew your own beer; kick in your Tee Vee; kill your own beef; build your own cabin and piss off the front porch whenever you bloody well feel like it."

THANKS BE TO ABBEY!

ga>me>ak
11-24-2004, 16:22
SMS,
Curious how you landed this job, with help from your son? I was in Healey 2 yrs ago with my brother. Stayed at that big relocated bunk house(from the slope). We ate acros the roadway at some bar/restaurant, which I belive is the Diamond grill. A lady behind the bar said she/parents owned it.She came across as a real character. We talked about, umm, tobacco laws ;)

ga>me>ak
11-24-2004, 16:28
where's my edit button, I wasn't done yet :confused: See ya up there at the end of the year or the spring of 06. I, too, would like to meet ya

Kerosene
11-24-2004, 17:43
the cabin is off the electrical grid, there is a generator, but no puter access,
there is cell phone coverage, and also the public library in Healy which is a few miles away.Wow, no 'puter access. Good luck on your withdrawal!:jump

smokymtnsteve
11-24-2004, 18:36
SMS,
Curious how you landed this job, with help from your son? I was in Healey 2 yrs ago with my brother. Stayed at that big relocated bunk house(from the slope). We ate acros the roadway at some bar/restaurant, which I belive is the Diamond grill. A lady behind the bar said she/parents owned it.She came across as a real character. We talked about, umm, tobacco laws ;)

sounds like you stayed in that relocated mining camp the DENALI NORTH STAR INN, which is located fronting on the PARKS HWY, across the Parks Hyw from DNS is the TOTEM there is a big sign on there lot saying Welcome to Healy.

and ya I've been to the TOTEM, it's a rocking place. but the Black Diamond grill is located about 1 mile up that side road from the Denali north star. so it sounds like U were at the TOTEM.

http://www.thetoteminn.com/

ga>me>ak
11-24-2004, 19:42
Your right, it was the Totem Inn. I couldn't remember a golf course to save my ...

hacksaw
11-24-2004, 19:55
You lucky, lucky dog!

I was up that way about 15 years ago w/ my sweet baby girl Julia, but not back since. Have always wanted an excuse to get back, you just might be it, ole buddy! Good luck on the position, hope it all works out for you. DEFINATELY hate to see ya' go, but understand perfectly.

Hey, I just thought, who's going to keep Uncle George straight what with you up in the great white north and whatall? I'm open for that position!

When would you be leaving? If not before the first of next week we still might be able to squeeze in a quick lunch.

Hacksaw

Lugnut
11-25-2004, 01:24
Admit it Steve. You're going to AK because of their lax herb laws! :D

smokymtnsteve
11-25-2004, 12:59
Admit it Steve. You're going to AK because of their lax herb laws! :D

where is THE Weasel when ya need a good attorney, guess we could ask the Rainman....can I plead the 5th admendment?

in my conversation with Dave this morning I accepted the gig, so it is a done deal, now just the logistics of packing and tying up ends here in GA and making transportation arrangements.

:sun :banana :sun :banana :sun :banana :sun :banana :jump

attroll
11-25-2004, 19:21
How long do you plan on staying up there. Is this perminant?

smokymtnsteve
11-25-2004, 20:08
ATTROLL for right now it is just going to officially be a long visit, I'm not changing my legal residence until I spend this winter season up north, I need to be on the ground and experience winter before making the change permanent but my intensions are (if everything goes according to 'plan')
to become a legal AK resident.

My son will be returning to Healy this March, he will be driving the pickup we're rebuilding right now. Smokyred will tow my old trailer and bring my belongings up in the spring, at that point I will have made a final decision about changing my legal residency,if not before.

when your out on the trail you always need to have an alternative plan in place just in case, but I truly believe I'm really gonna dig this. But I do have back up plan.

orangebug
11-28-2004, 08:25
I drove by there yesterday, and it looks closed and signed off for no trepassing. The sign is still up, and not warning to hikers that this is gone.

While driving up there, I saw a bunch of places for sale, acreage and such. RSC isn't on a ridge and doesn't have that much of the commanding view that lots of places closer to Franklin, Waynesville and other towns can offer. It's land is pretty open to the road running by it.

Buildings may be destined for the bulldozer, but I think it is premature to suggest that a developer will be successful there, either.

hacksaw
11-28-2004, 13:01
Orangebug,

As I said in an earlier post, I do know the developer, and it is a done deal. He has been at it (real estate development) for a number of years and specializes in not the most desireable properties. It will develope, and it will fly (unfortunately).

Living in Smyrna you are aware, I'm sure, that "If you build it, they will come."

Realize, please, that while I am not happy with this situation and did speak agin it, I know of whence I speak.

Hacksaw

smokymtnsteve
11-28-2004, 13:08
au contaire, the view of the setting sun is stunning from Rainbow Springs

I lived there for the month of april 2000, and remember many fantastic sunsets.

orangebug
11-28-2004, 15:46
Living in Smyrna, I'm also familiar with "location, location, location."

This isn't a place that will sell McMansions. This isn't even of the "R Ranch" location. It certainly ain't Big Canoe or the Florida/retirement developments around Franklin and Waynesville.

I can't see that it could compete successfully for the RV crowd at the state park. I hope this isn't another manufactured home development.

smokymtnsteve
11-28-2004, 15:55
there is no state park nearby.

Rainbow springs land is a great building location it even has some nanty-hala
river front.

a generation ago the little community of rainbow springs had a much larger population.

there is a walmart, and lowes 15 miles away, that land has too much value for manufactured housing but then again what is wrong with manufactured housing?

Hacksaw, R U at liberty to give us any details about the development plans?

hacksaw
11-28-2004, 16:29
Right now location, location, location is anyplace that doesn't have an airport near it and can be perk tested to support a septic tank and drain field.

Orangebud, I am not a developer nor a supporter of developement, but after many years of navigating the traffic around the metro area and living in Fair Oaks, Austell, Kennesaw, and, yes, even in El Smyrna (Que Pasa, Mano?) among others how far away would YOU go to stay off South Cobb, Cobb Pkwy, or !-75 between Wade Green and the river? Franklin ain't EVEN too far. Many McMansions are nowadays wired to the main office and the execs get their day done in their pjs and watch those beautiful sunsets and never roll a wheel on the Mercedes.

Just by the tone of your posts you don't like it, heck I don't like it either, but facts of life are that growth from the major population centers of the southeast know no bounds save the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico.

I am a native of Forsyth County and a very proud son of the south and I ran from Cumming several years ago because the majority of the populations of the states of Michigan and Ohio now reside in the zillion McMansions that occupy the old haunts of my youth. Those old dirt roads that I knew would always be there for me to ride are now three four and six lane parkways CHOKED with houses, Zaxbys WalMarts McDonalds, Waffle Houses (FIVE W.H.s in Forsyth County) and Krogers. When I was sixteen I had to go to the next county to see a movie, bowl, get any kind of burger other than Dairy Queen, or shop at ANY chain store. Now I trip over them and get traffic jammed by their customers. Hell, I even have to PAY to access ANY spot of Lake Lanier shoreline. I watched that dam get built and the lake fill up and cover my relatives property.

Tell me again why you think that property won't develope?

Where did you say you came from?

Steve, or any other native, am I wrong here?

Hacksaw the disgusted

hacksaw
11-28-2004, 16:40
Steve,

Sorry man, in my previous tirade I failed to respond to your question. I know, but am not at liberty to discuss beyond what has previously been posted. The developer lurks this list and we have spoken. He assures me laughingly that it will definately NOT be pre fab, but high end and readily scoffed at Orangebug's suggestion that it won't fly. This man is a professional, well regarded in the business and very succesful, and he knows how to spell demographics. He has done his homework.

Hacksaw the bemused

smokymtnsteve
11-28-2004, 17:01

"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell."

THANKS BE TO ABBEY!

YEA HACKSAW the south jist ain't what it used to be, the growth here in the last 20 years has been horrible. and trafffic is getting worse everyday.

it is easy to see how the land of RSC could easily be developed at a profit.

the whole US 64 corridor near Franklin is experiencing rapid growth. the RSC is prime location. whatever is built there will sell quickly.

hacksaw
11-28-2004, 18:49
You guys know what Buddy and Jensine were asking for RSC. It wasn't a distress sale. My friend was happy with what he paid. His numbers indicate a ROI well into seven figures. These numbers were good enough for his bankers.

As to success, I can't argue with the figures I've seen being batted around, and I know that they are not out of line with the numbers you could put to ANY of the properties Orangebug saw for sale. I toyed with the idea of making B&J an offer for a few weeks, but when I got my info on the area together I saw that what happened to RSC was bound to happen to that entire area, as SMS pointed out, the US 64 corridor is HOT for development. Frankly, I didn't want to be the only guy in the area who wasn't developing his property past the level of RSC, nor did I want to be back doored into developing by development pressures.

What I am saying here is, unfortunately, what has happened to RSC was inevitable. I saw it a couple of years ago when I thought of acquiring the RSC property, and my friend, with whom I had no connection as far as the RSC sale was concerned, in fact I found out he had bought it after the sale, saw the same things I did in his investigation before buying. He went for it because he is a developer and it was a good deal, I did not go for it because I am decidedly NOT a developer even though my survey indicated it was a good investment at a good price.

Hacksaw the undeveloped but definately not a negative

smokymtnsteve
11-28-2004, 19:11
here is a real estate tip for ya Hacksaw, Parks Hwy and Stampede Rd, Healy AK,

within the next decade the Stampede RD/trail will become entrance #2 for Denali NP. It already is, the tourist developement is just beginning there
and is growing by leaps and bounds. Healy has the potential of becoming the G'burg of AK. as Glitter Gulch is already approaching capacity.

Delta airlines has recently aquired gate space/routes at FAI airport so fares to FAI will 'crash' this will cause tourist to fly into FAI instead of ANC and make Healy the gateway to Denali. so if you gotta a little loose change laying around, I know of some great properties on state maintained roads near the Parks hwy and the Stampede, also there is a nice historical building for sale in Nenana,AK would make a great BB. (maybe I'll talk to uncle george)

also this month in Fairbanks, LOWES opened to compete with the HOME DEPOT that is already there.

Rocks 'n Roots
11-28-2004, 21:44
It's obvious that wild areas have to be protected from people who are only good for one thing in the long-run...

hacksaw
11-28-2004, 22:52
A quote from Pogo aka Walt Kelly

"We have seen the enemy and he is us."

I presume you are of the homo sapien variety, there R & R.

hacksaw
11-28-2004, 23:03
Couple more thoughts

Who/what are we protecting these wild areas for? (I assume you mean Alaska, and I do agree that they do need all the protection we can give. Having been to Denali I would encourage less not more development but, since we are trying to protect these wild areas for us as well as the critters who roam them you got a plan for our protection and use of these areas?)

What, in your opinion are we to do with all the usses that inhabit this planet? there's quite a heard already and more coming than going.

I find it easy to lament the problem, just a little tougher to put forth a workable plan. I'm ready to listen to yours or anyone elses, just lay it out.

orangebug
11-28-2004, 23:58
[QUOTE=smokymtnsteve]there is no state park nearby.
...QUOTE]Just what is that sign saying Standing Indian State Park for by the entrance past Rock Gap?

Maybe it will develop and there will be happy McMansion owners there. I certainly would prefer it to the ridgeline dwellers further east and north, much less those here in NOGA. Personally, I'd be looking for a gated community without the amount of exposed roadfront that RSC has. Being close but off of US 64 is a feature.

I'll look forward to the marketing. Heck, I still have trouble imagining the development around Lake Lure, NC.

steve hiker
11-29-2004, 00:58
in my conversation with Dave this morning I accepted the gig, so it is a done deal, now just the logistics of packing and tying up ends here in GA and making transportation arrangements.
WOW. Lucky dog. I hear the auroras are really nice in Alaska.

Youngblood
11-29-2004, 08:03
Couple more thoughts

Who/what are we protecting these wild areas for? (I assume you mean Alaska, and I do agree that they do need all the protection we can give. Having been to Denali I would encourage less not more development but, since we are trying to protect these wild areas for us as well as the critters who roam them you got a plan for our protection and use of these areas?)

What, in your opinion are we to do with all the usses that inhabit this planet? there's quite a heard already and more coming than going.

I find it easy to lament the problem, just a little tougher to put forth a workable plan. I'm ready to listen to yours or anyone elses, just lay it out.

Hacksaw,

Glad to see you back. Like your logic but since you have only recently started posting again you might not be aware of some of the arguments that have gone on from time to time... basically we have a few folks that get very long winded and don't seem able to distinguish between facts, opinions, myths, etc. They brew up their own form of infomercial style truths and lay it on thick, loud and often... if they can't dazzle you with brilliance they will try to overwhelm you with BS. With that in mind, good luck with that statement "I'm ready to listen to yours or anyone elses, just lay it out" because sometimes you get what you wish for. :)

Youngblood

Dances with Mice
11-29-2004, 09:23
It's obvious that wild areas have to be protected from people who are only good for one thing in the long-run...

Someone agrees with you: http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/

hacksaw
11-29-2004, 09:32
Youngblood,

I read you 5 by 5 Bud, I would have thought that my qualifier of "Workable" would dissuade, but I know in my heart that you are right. I'll take the heat of anyone's personal Idea of right as long as we can keep it civil. I make no personal attacks nor do I expect them in return, although I'm sure I'll get them, common sense being an uncommon virtue.

I appreciate your concern.

You living in Doraville can you bear me out as to my assesment of growth and expansion replete with the usual urban woes? It's about 8:30 on Monday morning 'bout how long would it take you to get from, say, the Doraville City Hall to oh, Northlake Mall (A distance of about 5 miles) by I-285 or Buford Hwy/Chamblee Tucker Rd.?

I used to do that every day.

Even worse, Chamblee City Hall to Perimeter Mall, any route you choose.

Done that one too.

That's why I live and work in Big Canoe.

Hacksaw the left wide open for attack

Youngblood
11-29-2004, 10:41
Youngblood,...
You living in Doraville can you bear me out as to my assesment of growth and expansion replete with the usual urban woes? It's about 8:30 on Monday morning 'bout how long would it take you to get from, say, the Doraville City Hall to oh, Northlake Mall (A distance of about 5 miles) by I-285 or Buford Hwy/Chamblee Tucker Rd.?

I used to do that every day.

Even worse, Chamblee City Hall to Perimeter Mall, any route you choose.

Done that one too.

That's why I live and work in Big Canoe. ...
Hacksaw,

You're right about the development. I've been in the Atlanta area for 30 years and the growth has been phenomenal, the planning has been inexcusable. In spite of the trains and buses (MARTA) and Interstate system, traffic is testy to maddening for several hours in the morning and several hours in the afternoon/evening. It is basically a car town, the buses are painfully slow and the trains don't have enough coverage to get you to a lot of places. Sidewalks for pedistrians and bikepaths in the newer suburbs are not adequate and are not more than token if they exist at all. Heck, I think they lock the restrooms at the MARTA stations and expect you to use a call box and wait for "I don't know how long" for an attendant to unlock it for you. Most of the business around the MARTA stations restrict restroom usage to customers only- I seem to recall having to buy a burger at a McDonald's a few years back when I had to take a leak in a bad way when I took the train into town to go to a Falcon's game. Really neat stuff.

I don't know how long those trips in rush hour would take... I avoid going anywhere at certain times of day and tell most people that living in Atlanta is like being held hostage to traffic. If you get caught in bad traffic where there is an accident, I'm not sure you can get there at all.

Youngblood

smokymtnsteve
11-29-2004, 10:45
[QUOTE=orangebug]Just what is that sign saying Standing Indian State Park for by the entrance past Rock Gap?

well it's not a state park sign ,,standing indian is a US FOREST SERVICE campground,

smokymtnsteve
11-29-2004, 10:55
reduce popualtion growth (birth control)

develop more liveable workable communites integrating mass transit.

develop better preventative public health, reduce obesity, better nutrition, more exercise, better education, to prevent disease and spread of illness.

hacksaw
11-29-2004, 15:02
Pretty good plan there, Steve. Too workable and simple to impliment, though!

Blue Jay
11-29-2004, 15:21
reduce popualtion growth (birth control)

develop more liveable workable communites integrating mass transit.

develop better preventative public health, reduce obesity, better nutrition, more exercise, better education, to prevent disease and spread of illness.

As Johnny Carson's Karnac would say, "Name the last 7 things humans will ever do". Face it, as the last election has proven, humans are fungus on an orange and just about as smart.

Blue Jay
11-29-2004, 15:32
You forgot world peace and racial harmony. For god's sake we're rerunning the Crusades from centuries past, as we speak. We could wipe out tuberculosis with existing technology for a tenth of what we're spending on the crusades. We stick our heads through the hole in the fence, get hit with a board and then think, "I wonder what would happen if I stick my head through the fence again". Control population, now that is funny.

smokymtnsteve
11-29-2004, 18:46
I think we should install a silicon valve on every childs reproductive tubes,
you only get your tubes turned back on if you finish an education (which would be be avaiable to you FREE) and then go to work, as soon as save a certain amount then your tubes would be re-connected for free, (if U so desired)

then all children would be wanted children, child abuse rates would crash,

"The purpose of love, sex, and marriage is the production and raising of children. But look about you: Most people have no business having children. They are unqualified, either genetically or culturally or both, to reproduce such sorry specimens as themselves. Of all our privileges, the license to breed is the one most grossly abused."

"Abolition of a woman's right to abortion, when and if she wants it, amounts to compulsory maternity: form of rape by the State."

THANKS BE TO ABBEY!

Fisherman_Tim
01-04-2005, 09:32
So sad about RSC, I stayed there many times over the last 4 years. When I first heard of the sale a couple years ago, I could smell development all over it, I knew it was bound to happen. I love Barry and Terry and I hope they are doing well.

I live in SW Fla, the fastest developing area in the US (Behind Vegas). The company I work for tries to keep a check on develpoment and we have made great strides but I can tell you, without the support of local officials, development can run nearly unbridled.

On my last trip to RSC in Oct, I visited nearly a dozen campgrounds trying to find something simular but nothing compared. I will try Singing Waters near Cashiers this spring. If anyone has any suggestions, please post.