PDA

View Full Version : Tortoise on the JMT

zonedam
07-29-2010, 12:02
My plan is to head out on the JMT starting 8/4/10.
I have a permit reservation for 2 persons but will only pickup for one.
All my resupply has been mailed.
I have been training at Stone Mountain GA since Mid April.
My problem has been injuries to various leg muscles and tendons during training.
Some physio-therapists have taken a personal interest in keeping me up and training, for which I thank them greatly.
However I can't be 100% sure that I will stay fit for all 222 miles to Whitney Portal. Hopefully I can bail if necessary and failing that, I can use my Spot 911.
My food supply covers 25 days.
My schedule is Happy Isles 8/4
Tuolumne Meadows 8/7
Reds Meadow 8/11
MTR 8/15
Whitney Portal 8/25
(I read a thread on yahoo where they made Tuolumne Meadows in one day)
The above does not include zero days which I plan to take close to food
sources to conserve resupplies.
I feel sure that I will be passed by hikers starting days after me. So if you
see an older guy slowly making it to the top of a pass, that'll probably be me, and I might need encouragement.

Phreak
07-29-2010, 13:06
Good luck on your hike. I'm starting a NOBO hike at Whitney Portal on 8/9 and we should cross paths at some point.

PUNKINPUSS11
07-29-2010, 15:23
im heading southbound from the valley on august 4th!!!!!! see u out there

eagleJ
08-06-2010, 01:38
Hey all met and camped with Zonedam Tues. eve after finishing my section from Reds meadow to Yosemite. Great fellow and had some good conversations about gear and the trail. Left him Weds. am headed for Happy Isles as I was headed to the bus stop. So he's on his way!

Dogwood
08-09-2010, 17:49
You are contending with leg injuries, 72 yrs of age, and not being acclimatized to the elev. Who cares about how many pass you? Forget that kinda ego stuff and you'll have a better hike no matter where you hike! Trust me on that! You are out there doing it rather than throwing darts at a dart board saying, "one day maybe I'll do that."

If you are allowing 3 full days from HI to TM that should be MORE than enough time for most JMTers.

Take care of the feet and legs!!!!!!!! Without them you don't hike!!!!

eagleJ
08-31-2010, 20:51
Anyone out there heard any news about zonedam???