PDA

View Full Version : Eureka Solitaire 1 man

grrickar
11-13-2004, 20:01
I'm perfectly happy with my MSR Hubba, but I saw a tent at the Sport Authority today that was sub 3 lbs and cheap at less then $70. I figured it might be a cheap backpaking tent for those on a budget. Anyone have any experience using one of these?

poison_ivy
11-13-2004, 22:16
Yup and I hated it. It was a condensation nightmare... the last time I used it I had water literally dripping down on me all night. I wasn't terribly fond of it being such close quarters either. I replaced it with a Shires tarp tent, which is about a million times better.

- Ivy

jersey joe
11-14-2004, 04:06
Two years ago I took the Eureka Solitare on my thru hike with me. I mostly stayed in shelters along the way but wound up using this tent about 15-20 times. I was happy for the most part with this tent. It is a bit cramped inside but very light at just under 3 lbs. If your looking to hang out inside your tent, this isn't the model for you. If your looking for a good light shelter when the lean-to's are full, then this is a good option.

I got the model with the aluminum poles(gossamer). The aluminum poles were supposedly stronger than the fiberglass poles but both sets of my poles wound up snapping towards the end of my hike.

Toolshed
11-14-2004, 09:44
I owned the Eureka Gossamer (the forerunner of the Solitaire I think the Soli was orignally the cheaper Fiberglass pole version of the Gossamer) back around the early 90's. I liked it for simply shelter, but I got rid of it after a year. I decided an extra pound or two was worth being able to sit up especially other trails I used to hike where there were no shelters to sit in.
I see a lot of these on Ebay now. And yes,I agree on the conedensation bit also.

Grampie
11-15-2004, 10:02
I used the Solitaire for half of my thru. It cost little ($85), it"s light, under 3lbs. and works well.
The only draw back is: It's a little difficult to get in and out of and you don't have a whole lot of room inside for gear.
I carried a piece of plastic tarp that I could put on the ground, next to the opening, sit on it, remove my shoes and slide inside. I would than fold up the plastic and store it under the fly. If I did another thru I would use the tent again.

Goon
11-15-2004, 12:21
I use the Eureka Gossamer as my 1-man backpacking tent. It's a good tent as long you don't mind not having a lot of space. I'm 6'6" tall and sleep in it just fine.

The Solemates
11-15-2004, 13:25
The first tent we ever had was a Eureka Timberlite 2 that we got for cheap at some sports department store. It worked great for at least 8 years on weekend trips with pops. Back then, 6 lbs was considered lightweight. That tent is as obselete as an Atari these days though :)

Toolshed
11-15-2004, 21:46
The first tent we ever had was a Eureka Timberlite 2 that we got for cheap at some sports department store. It worked great for at least 8 years on weekend trips with pops. Back then, 6 lbs was considered lightweight. That tent is as obselete as an Atari these days though :)
Aaah that Timberlite 2 was a great tent 4lbs 15 oz. Got mine via a pro-deal through the outfitter I worked for, and used it for 11 years. Sold it on Ebay this year and still got more than I paid for it. The great thing about buying so much close-out or pro-deal gear in the last decade - You can use it, sell it and still make a little money.

SavageLlama
11-15-2004, 22:52
Don't knock those Sports Authority tents.. I bought some $19.99 special about five years ago and it has worked well for short wknd trips. I did waterproof it - but that only cost another 5 beans for a can of water-proof spray.

Don't recall the brand name (not sure it has one).. but here's a pic:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/4816/password/0/sort/1/cat/500/page/1