PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Marmot Pounder?

HiKen2011
07-29-2010, 17:33
Was thinking about taking this bag on LT Aug17th for e2e. I know the temps could possibly drop into the 40's. or even the 30's. With my long johns and down jacket that I'll have anyway should the pounder work. I'm a hot sleeper and sleep only in my draws at night. What do you guy's think.

Thanks

HiKen2011
07-29-2010, 17:51
I'll also be using a silk liner from Jag Bags too. :sun

FamilyGuy
07-29-2010, 18:23
Hard to say whether you will be warm as there are so many individual and external factors but make sure your sleeping pad has a sufficient R-value. You would be amazed at how you can boost your sleep system with a warm pad that minimizes heat loss from ground conduction. The ground can suck out a lot heat!

A tent that sufficiently blocks the wint is also key. Eat lots before going to bed. Don't over hydrate the system. And layer in as you mention in the original post.

I have never found liners to increase measurable warmth for the weight - maybe 3-4 degrees.

STICK
07-29-2010, 20:05
Why exactly the Marmot Pounder? I have found that I love using my Jag Bag silk liner (I have the Fine silk and the Endura silk) with a quilt. The quilt is great to use whether in warm or cold weather and it is not near as constrictive as a bag.

Just a thought, and a suggestion. As far as the Pounder bag, I have no experience. I recently bought the Helium and I love it. Marmot seems to offer a very nice bag. Nice materials and nice craftsmanship, in my limited experience...

Blissful
07-29-2010, 22:01
You'll be cold if the temps drop that much, imo. Marmot pounder plus would be better

garlic08
07-30-2010, 00:00
That's exactly the kind of trip I would carry a one pound bag on. I carried a similar bag (MH Phantom 45) on most of the AT, including some nights in the high 30s. With skillful campsite selection you can keep away from the coldest and windiest spots. Watch low spots for temperature inversions, too.

Mountain Dog
07-31-2010, 16:42
I have the pounder and I do not think it will suffice for your trip. I'm a warm sleeper but I get cold in the pounder at anything under about 50.