PDA

View Full Version : Valley Way tentsite closed 8/8/10 to 8/12/10

peakbagger
07-30-2010, 08:13
The RMC Valley Way tentsite closed 8/8/10 to 8/12/10

This is the low bucks alternative to staying at the Madision Hut in the White Mountains. There really isnt a lot of alternatives unless you want to hike quite a way down the Valley way to get into the hardwoods.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From WMNF: "The Valley Way Tentsite, located on the north slope of Mount Madison, will be closed to all use from late morning Sunday August 8 through midday Thursday August 12. During this time Americorps crew members from the NH Conservation Corps will assist the US Forest Service with site repairs. The existing wooden tent platforms will be removed and native soil tent pads will be constructed in the footprints where the platforms now stand."

Blissful
07-30-2010, 15:31
wow, Thanks for the info, just about the time when I'm gonna roll in there too (with my hike delay), sigh. :(

Tinker
07-31-2010, 00:30
wow, Thanks for the info, just about the time when I'm gonna roll in there too (with my hike delay), sigh. :(
Blue blaze to "The Perch" (Randolph Mountain Club). Self-serve, low cost cabin on the edge of a beautiful ravine. You won't be disappointed. Of course it is off the ridgeline :(. But it's worth it, really! :)

Tinker
07-31-2010, 00:33
Blue blaze to "The Perch" (Randolph Mountain Club). Self-serve, low cost cabin on the edge of a beautiful ravine. You won't be disappointed. Of course it is off the ridgeline :(. But it's worth it, really! :)

My apologies! :o I meant Crag Camp!:o:o I've done that several times lately. The Perch is just below treeline in the woods. Crag Camp is more or less AT treeline and has the spectacular view mentioned above.

rickb
07-31-2010, 05:37
Note dates the Perch is closed

http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/aboutthermc/importantnotices.html

CrumbSnatcher
12-15-2010, 15:51
hows the trail/grade 0.6 miles from the AT to the VALLEY WAY Tentsite?
thanks

peakbagger
12-15-2010, 16:17
Well compared the nebraska its downright steep and nasty;). Compared to what you just climbed over, its a real well graded trail from Madison hut, they used to run donkeys up the trail to service the hut http://www.whitemountainjackass.org/history.html so I expect its suitable for hikers. Like a lot of other places in the whites, you drop down several hundred feet in elevation.