PDA

View Full Version : Hammocking the AT.

LiquidLunch
07-30-2010, 09:44
As i am about to depart in little over a month on my lifelong dream of hiking the AT. I am going to section hike starting at Springer Mountain. My question is are there any sections of the AT that a Hammock is not capable of being hung? Appreciate any and all input.

couscous
07-30-2010, 10:00
In the Whites and other areas with only krummholz vegetation .. small crooked Balsam Fir and Black Spruce .. but there are huts available .. or you can descend below treeline.

couscous
07-30-2010, 10:37
Almost everything you take can serve multiple functions. I found a nice tree two weeks ago at the Pine Knob shelter that my 6' strap wouldn't fit around so I pulled off my waist belt (web strap that adjusts for 3"-42" waists) and used it as a "strap extension".

LiquidLunch
07-30-2010, 11:10
In the Whites and other areas with only krummholz vegetation .. small crooked Balsam Fir and Black Spruce .. but there are huts available .. or you can descend below treeline.

Im sorry, my lack of knowledge of the northern states doesnt help me much. are the White you are referring to the area of New Hampshire? or in Virgina?

LiquidLunch
07-30-2010, 11:12
Almost everything you take can serve multiple functions. I found a nice tree two weeks ago at the Pine Grove shelter that my 6' strap wouldn't fit around so I pulled off my waist belt (web strap that adjusts for 3"-42" waists) and used it as a "strap extension".

What type of waist belt? I just purchaced a web belt but it is not reated to hang weight from it it has a plastic type buckle. Is it recommended for the trail to have a belt that can double as a harness?

rhjanes
07-30-2010, 11:22
Im sorry, my lack of knowledge of the northern states doesnt help me much. are the White you are referring to the area of New Hampshire? or in Virgina?New Hampshire

couscous
07-30-2010, 11:34
Yes, New Hampshire.

What type of waist belt? I just purchaced a web belt but it is not reated to hang weight from it it has a plastic type buckle. Is it recommended for the trail to have a belt that can double as a harness?

Not a recommendation, just an observation of what works for me. My belt is not "rated" for hanging weight, I've just learned that it provides me with an option for using larger trees. It's an old BSA - Boy Scout web belt.

kayak karl
07-30-2010, 11:48
i've hiked Ga, NC, Tenn, Va, Pa, NJ, NH, Maine and Never went to the ground. even in the Whites there are pay site that welcome hammockers.

for set up i used 12' straps each end with rings. now i use whoopie slings and 4' straps. carry extra amsteel if you thing you will come up short.

couscous
07-30-2010, 12:36
Great info. Amsteel is amazing stuff! I got mine from Redden Marine Supply (http://www.reddenmarine.com/site/view_department.cfm?action=Department&department=21&category=992&brand=0&counter=0&letter=0&subcategory=5313).

Migrating Bird
07-30-2010, 13:12
In the White Mtns. you cannot camp above tree-line, strictly enforced. Hanging is fine there are several for formal campsites for $8.00 pp. or you can camp according to the rules, I also stayed in Huts see link http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/recreation/camping/2010_backcountry_rules_web.pdf

kayak karl
07-30-2010, 14:14
In the White Mtns. you cannot camp above tree-line, strictly enforced. Hanging is fine there are several for formal campsites for $8.00 pp. or you can camp according to the rules, I also stayed in Huts see link http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/recreation/camping/2010_backcountry_rules_web.pdf
i stayed in Madison Hut and left before morn. i will never stay in a hut again. the $8 sites were great. did work for stay at 2. just cleaned up blown down branches.

coyote13
07-31-2010, 21:24
what size amsteel do you use? 1/8 ,1/4 or bigger?

couscous
07-31-2010, 21:29
7/64", 2.5mm, 1600lbs Avg Strength .. light enough to put in a shirt pocket .. strong enough to pull my Jeep.

gunner76
07-31-2010, 22:05
Amsteel 7/64 is rated for 1,600 lbs and that is the smallest size they make. This stuff is strong and available in several colors. I use the 7/64 and or 3/16. When I get a new hammock I change out the factory line for the Amsteel. Check out Hammock Forums as they have a post for the discount code if ordering Amsteel from Redden Marine Supply (http://www.reddenmarine.com/site/view_department.cfm?action=Department&department=21&category=992&brand=0&counter=0&letter=0&subcategory=5313). I have also found it at WestMarine but at a higher price.

TinaLouise
08-01-2010, 08:26
I too have the 7/64 size amsteel blue on my hammock. Great rope!! I color coded my hammock and my tarp. Since my hammock has a dedicated foot/head end and my tarp also has a dedicated foot/head end, I needed a way to tell at a glance which end of the tarp I was setting up to go with that end of the hammock. I put red amsteel all at one end and silver amsteel all at the other end.

coyote13
08-01-2010, 09:52
Thank you. I have Just put in an order with 'Redden' andI like the color coding idea.anything to make it simpler I say.

TinaLouise
08-01-2010, 13:20
Thank you. I have Just put in an order with 'Redden' andI like the color coding idea.anything to make it simpler I say.

please be aware that knots will slip with amsteel rope (amsteel is extreamly slippery). I had a bowline slip with me in the hammock. Only reason I didn't hit the dirt was due to me having a half knot tied into the end of the amsteel. That little knot kept the bowline was pulling all the way apart. What I did was learn how to splice and reworked the rope back into itself, thus creating what what some would call the chinese finger toy (you remember... you stick your fingers into each end of the chinese toy and as long as you're trying to pull your finger out with force, you flat out can't. But push your fingers together, crushing the middle of the toy together and your fingers come right out. The same principle is used with this rope. The rope slings are called "whoopies" because of the inventor over on the hammock forum. They are very easy to make and you'll never have to tie another knot in your suspension. If you go over to Hammock forums, check out the "Clark Jungle Hammocks" and go to "clark nx-150 w/whoopies", this guy has posted pictures of whoopies attached to his hammock.

Bearpaw
08-01-2010, 13:40
You can buy premade Whoopies from Whoopieslings.com (http://whoopieslings.com/) or from ArrowheadEquipment.webs.com (http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1099697) (which is a wealth of small source gear items, like small sheets of tyvek or specialized cordlocks, clips, etc.).

It is an easier way of getting set up than the trail and error of making your own.

LiquidLunch
08-01-2010, 15:42
wow guys thanks for the plethera of ideas and fact about the trail. I look forward to trying the ideas out on the trail. Appreciate all the help. Thank you

WILLIAM HAYES
08-01-2010, 18:10
you will not have a problem hanging your hammock except above treeline then you can in most cases either go to ground and cowboy camp,stay in a shelter or descend below treeline i h ave never had a problem hanging my hammock on the other hand i have had problems finding suitable tent sites when i use to carry a tent i would never go back to using a tent