PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Men's Pack

Stabes
07-30-2010, 09:46
I would like to buy a new pack for my boyfriend for his birthday, I know something about women's packs, not a lot about mens. First off, he is about 6' 1, does anyone know about what size pack I should look at? Needs to be big enough to go on 4-5 day hikes and he is not what I would call a "Light weight" hiker though I am slowly trying to get him there. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

skinewmexico
07-30-2010, 10:07
You really need to find some stealth way to measure his Torso. That's the only way you'll get the right fit.

Feral Bill
07-30-2010, 11:20
You really need to find some stealth way to measure his Torso. That's the only way you'll get the right fit.
Even that's iffy, given the great variability in people's shapes. Maybe a nice card with an IOU for a pack enclosed, followed by a romantic trip to some outfitters would work nicely.

scope
07-30-2010, 12:27
What Wild Bill said, guys love shopping for toys. If not that, then consider an adjustable pack like the Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian. Not only does the adjustable part ensure a fit, but its almost impossible not to be comfortable with the GG suspension.

Luddite
07-30-2010, 12:48
It doesn't matter how tall he is, you need to measure his torso. You could always buy him a regular size and if it doesn't fit him just take it back. Or get him a gift certificate. Gift certificates are boring though.

mykl
07-30-2010, 12:48
Get him a pack from a place with a good return/exchange policy. At least hes not getting a cheesy card for a gift. I don't like giving or getting them as a gift. Gift cards seem effortless and last minute.

Mountain Wildman
07-30-2010, 13:33
Mystery Ranch makes excellent packs and all you need to know is waist size and how tall he is to order one, they are not cheap but are some of best. The Trance XXX is 4200 ci and may be large enough but if not there is the G5000 or G6000. The Trance XXX is the most reasonable price.
http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it.A/id.13869/.f?sc=11&category=9

http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it.A/id.3499/.f?sc=11&category=8

http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it.A/id.3575/.f?sc=11&category=8

Mystery Ranch is the best pack made short of custom.
But also popular are Granite Gear, Osprey, ULA and Golite.

Lostone
07-30-2010, 16:33
In columbus you have a couple of great stores to take him into and get fitted. Everest gear on bethel road is nice and has a bunch of packs bought my daughter there. Outdoor source is great too not as many packs as everest gear. I understand Clintonville outfitters is nice but I have never been myself.

I would take him in on his birthday and have him fitted and let him pick it out.

bigcranky
07-30-2010, 16:52
Great idea -- my wife got me a new pack for Christmas one year, total surprise (but she knew what I wanted and it only came in one size.)

Any chance you can make it a romantic weekend trip to, say, Damascus, VA, and go to Mt Rogers Outfitters for the pack, then hike an overnight at Mt Rogers? (I meet people from Ohio there all the time.) They carry the ULA packs, as well as all the other good brands, and they specialize in backpacking.

If not, then look at the Osprey Aether 60, or the REI Flash 65, or something like that. REI will have both, and they have a great return/exchange policy. (Those packs are large enough to carry a traditional load, but are lighter than traditional packs.) Or do what my wife did and buy a Six Moons Designs Starlite, though that may be way too far in the direction of light/UL.

skinewmexico
07-31-2010, 00:15
ULA. Start him at the top. They called me at home to help me fine tune the fit of my Circuit.

Tinker
07-31-2010, 00:46
Buy him a gift certificate at the local outfitters, then bring him in to pick out his own pack (or buy him one to REI - first ask if they will return cash for it if he decides that they don't have what he wants - THEN go to ULA:)). The pack I use isn't made anymore, so I can't suggest it - besides, it's entirely frameless - not the first thing to buy when someone is experimenting with lightweight hiking.

Tinker
07-31-2010, 00:47
Er, buy him one AT REI etc.

Stabes
08-21-2010, 19:19
Thanks for all the good advice! I think I am going to take him to a gear store and as nonchalantly as possible have him try on packs.

leaftye
08-21-2010, 19:42
The better lightweight packs are rarely found in stores. Anyway, we need to know a price range first because there are packs in the $750 range like Mystery Ranch, Cilogear and McHale. There are full-featured lightweight packs in the $200-250 range like ULA, Gossamer Gear, Six Moon Designs and Zpacks, but they may be too small for him right now. These 4 companies also make smaller stripped down versions of their packs that weigh as little as 2 ounces. Golite and Granite Gear have full featured packs that are $100-200 and can be found in stores like REI, but the light packs will be small packs. Osprey and Montbell also make similar packs in that price range, but they're harder to find in stores.

You said your boyfriend is not lightweight yet, so you might was to look at the very light yet large packs by Titanium Goat and Luxurylite. They are expensive though. They have the advantage of being versatile enough to carry large heavy loads, but be reconfigured to carry small lightweight loads.