PDA

View Full Version : Hello From A Newbie

OnlyJohn
07-30-2010, 15:01
Hello everyone. I have just begun to get serious about hiking and I am sure I will be asking many foolish questions that make you experienced hikers laugh. I am, however, very willing to learn from your experiences.

I have put everyone here at my office on notice that I plan both to retire and thru hike the AT before I am 50. I will keep you posted.

OnlyJohn

coyote13
07-30-2010, 15:06
i wish you well on both counts.i am 51 and retired but limited by physical ability to section hikes. i am doing flip flop of SNP in May 2011

sevensixtwo187
07-30-2010, 15:24
I too wish you well. Welcome.

Blissful
07-30-2010, 15:27
This is a good place to be. Lots of info. Check the articles section too.

Bare Bear
07-30-2010, 15:42
Welcome. The one essential item I have always relied on is 'keep a sense of humor' at all times.

couscous
07-30-2010, 16:09
Think of your body as a brand new 2010 model car. Going to be great the next couple years and then things are slowly going to stop functioning like they used to. Vision will change, muscles will get tight sooner, knees will complain more about going down hills, ground and shelters will seem harder, etc. There are many amazing hikers in their 50s, 60s, 70s but for most people things start getting more difficult after 45... so take the first chance you get. I have some friends that will try to do the trail in 5-week section hikes starting next year. Going to take 5 years to complete the trail, but getting 5 weeks off for several years may be easier than getting 5-6 months off.

deadhorsejoe
07-31-2010, 10:46
All I can say is Amen Mr. Couscous Amen. These 58 year old bones and joints agree.

Think of your body as a brand new 2010 model car. Going to be great the next couple years and then things are slowly going to stop functioning like they used to. Vision will change, muscles will get tight sooner, knees will complain more about going down hills, ground and shelters will seem harder, etc. There are many amazing hikers in their 50s, 60s, 70s but for most people things start getting more difficult after 45... so take the first chance you get. I have some friends that will try to do the trail in 5-week section hikes starting next year. Going to take 5 years to complete the trail, but getting 5 weeks off for several years may be easier than getting 5-6 months off.

Sierra Echo
07-31-2010, 11:06
Howdy neighbor!!!

Tinker
07-31-2010, 19:04
Hey, OJ (hmmmmmmm...... maybe not the best initials :D).
All I can say is do what you really want to do while you're still young. Every 10th birthday (more often, lately), I look back on the past ten years and realize how aging accelerates with time. It used to surprise me. Now I just accept the fact that whatever I choose to do will be harder, physically, take more time, and require longer to recover from. I've made peace with that and friends with "Vitamin I" (ibuprofen). :D