PDA

View Full Version : Water Supplies

Highlander
11-14-2004, 01:24
Two groups of us are planning a hike and meeting at Woody Gap, approaching from different directions. Does anyone know of the present water supply status at this location ? We have some little guys with us and the idea of packing in extra water is not appealing.

ffstenger
11-14-2004, 05:39
From where each direction to Woody Gap?? I was through that area not long
ago and had no problems with water. how long are you gonna be out?
Showme

Jaybird
11-14-2004, 10:16
No water probs reported in WOODY GAP AREA this year!
GOOD LUCK w/ yer hike! :D

FatMan
11-14-2004, 12:21
Highlander,

Welcome to WhiteBlaze. I too live in Lawrenceville.

Don't know your experience level so I thought I would clarify that there is no public water source at Woody Gap in the picnic area. There are restrooms though.

The only water source I am aware of is down an old road/path just to the right of the AT as it enters Woody Gap from the Big Cedar side. It is about 100yds on the left side. I've never spent much time there, only hiked through so there may be others but I am not aware of them.

No need to carry much water on your hike as there are many water sources leading from the north as well as the south. The group from the south only needs to be aware of the 6 mile stretch from Hawk Mtn shelter to Justice Creek with no reliable water source. Although this time of year there may be some usable seeps running along this stretch.

Enjoy your hike.

Dances with Mice
11-14-2004, 12:29
Two groups of us are planning a hike and meeting at Woody Gap, approaching from different directions. Does anyone know of the present water supply status at this location ? We have some little guys with us and the idea of packing in extra water is not appealing.

I don't understand the question. If you mean "Is there water at Woody Gap?", then the answer is yes. Woody has one of the nicest springs on the Trail, with water pouring right out of the rock beneath the roots of a large tree.

If the question is "Is there water available along the Trail starting from Woody", then the answer is still yes, no matter which direction you hike.

Youngblood
11-14-2004, 12:30
I've gotten water at Woody Gap many times. There is a blue blazed trail that starts near the restrooms that goes a hundred yards or so to a spring. The spring turns into a small stream that parallels the sidetrail... I prefer to go all the way to the source of the spring and get the water where is comes out of the ground. This sidetrail pretty much parallels the AT also, but I didn't see any linking trails other than the marked one that starts near the restrooms.

...about those restrooms. It is a basically a 'two holer' privy on a concrete slab. And they do lock them up in the winter.

Youngblood

JimSproul
11-14-2004, 15:59
If you are going south there is good water at Gooch Mountain Shelter about 5 miles south of Woody Gap.