PDA

View Full Version : 3-4 day NC hikes?

Nevermind
07-30-2010, 15:07
Any suggestions on a good 3-4 day hike in NC this time of year? I got a couple days off work and am gonna get on the trail somewhere tomorrow morning. I'm stayin out of the Smokies to avoid required shelters. The Art Loeb shuttle is too expensive ($125 and I'm going solo). I'm looking for a loop or easy road access that's not too far from Burnsville, NC. I can leave a car and get a ride if it's not too far.

Yes, I will be getting my maps out as well, I just wanted to throw out a line in case anyone had a particular stretch they really liked. Thanks for any suggestions!

Hope everyone has a good weekend! :sun

bus
07-30-2010, 15:25
Uncle Johnny's to 19E? Or Hughs Gap to Walnut Mountain Road

Bare Bear
07-30-2010, 15:45
You can leave a vehicle at Johnnys and get a pick up ride back from Culvers Gap or 19E (only you know how far you can go, but the Roan Mountain section is one of the harder ones especially in the heat).

Bare Bear
07-30-2010, 15:45
Sorry just realized Uncle J is too far from your start.

Nevermind
07-30-2010, 15:57
Eh, Erwin isn't out-of-bounds, but I did 226 to Erwin recently. A lot of elevation change going down to the Nolichucky. Got tough on the knees for a 2-day trip, but didn't look particularly pleasant to go uphill, either.

I just discovered atdist.com and made myself a little excel distance chart.

Any thoughts on NC226 to 321 (right before Watauga Lake)? Looks like 48 miles. Can I leave a car at 321 or nearby? Otherwise, I could leave a car at 19E, right? That'd be 28 miles.

I haven't looked at elevation yet... I'm young and in good shape (not outstanding), but the heat factor should be interesting. I've just been aching to get out for a few nights.

Six-Six
07-30-2010, 16:05
Park at Damascus and catch a shuttle south as far as you want to go for 3-4 days. Fairly benign section north bound unless you start all the way back at the dam.

Tennessee Viking
07-30-2010, 16:19
You can probably do the north section of the Art Loeb as a loop with other trails.

How about the Mountains to Sea Trail. NC 181/Linville Gorge area to Beacon Heights.

Bare Bear
07-30-2010, 16:29
You can leave a car at 19E. You will almost certainly find it trashed upon return.

bigcranky
07-30-2010, 16:33
How about the Standing Indian loop? Park in the lot outside the campground, then climb the Kimsey Creek Trail to Deep Gap, head north on the AT, and go to one of the trails that comes back down to the parking area. You can go as far as Wallace GaP I think, and road walk back. Nice 3-day loop.

Nevermind
07-30-2010, 17:22
The Linville MST section is intriguing... how's parking? I see the MST website suggests 221 to 181 for a 34 mile stretch. Sounds gorgeous except the 2007 fire may have scorched some of the section?

bus
07-30-2010, 22:41
You can leave a car at 19E. You will almost certainly find it trashed upon return.

yep, but you can leave it at the hostel right by there an dit wil be fine..they do shuttles too

Nevermind
07-31-2010, 02:15
Would it be better to leave a car at Woodlawn Park (221), or at the parking area for Ripshin Ridge (181)?

Woodlawn park certainly has more traffic coming and going which kinda bothers me, though it is also easier to patrol. I doubt people would go all the way up 181 to Ripshin ridge to mess with cars. Any experience or thought on this?

grizzlyadam
07-31-2010, 07:26
there is actually a small out of the way parking area at woodlawn park. if you're heading north on 221 you will come to woodlawn park on your left -it's just a parking lot with some picnic tables- and just beyond that is the turn in for a forest service building or something. (can't remember exactly). on their access road is where the MST exits the woods and there are some parking spaces. they aren't really seen from 221 very easily.

are you planning on hitching from one end to the other when you're done?

Grits
07-31-2010, 07:38
You have Mount Mitchell and the Black Mtn Crest trail Mitchell Trail, Bumcombe Horse Trail, Green Knob Fire Tower and the Big Ivy areas and the Mtns to sea trail on the south side of Burnsville and the AT from Sams Gap to Erwin and Uncle J's as well as the Lost Cove area on the North side of Yancy County take your pick all are great. Enjoy your hike.

Grits
07-31-2010, 07:40
The Black Mtn Crest Trail you will bag 6 - 6,000 ft peaks in 13.5 miles with 7000 ft of elevation change. :D

Nevermind
08-03-2010, 15:59
Thank you all so so so much for your posts and suggestions. Due to what I've already done in the area, proximity to my homebase, and length, I went with the 34-mile stretch on the Mountains to Sea Trail. I just got back. No, literally, I just got out of the shower (first things first). I dropped a car at 221 and my brother shuttled me up to Ripshin Ridge, 181.

My conclusion for the hike: Maybe the toughest but also one of the most beautiful I have done in North Carolina. I highly recommend this hike, but I would also put some conditions on it. The climb from Linville Gorge up to Pinnacle Peak is pretty brutal. Trekking the Southern Appalachians says it is 1200 feet in a mile. There was one switchback, so most of it is straight up. I was very very happy to have this on my third day, after two days of conditioning. I'm 21 and in good shape, but was not in hiking shape starting out, so those first two days were necessary to whip me into good condition.

I'll try to post a trip report soon, I just wanted to jump on WB and say thanks to everyone for your help.

Cheers!

10-K
08-03-2010, 21:00
Not NC but close: Atkins to Damascus. This is an outstanding hike in every way,

SmokyMtn Hiker
08-03-2010, 21:13
Nice to hear you had a good trip, you were right here in my backyard, well at least in the county I live in. The Linville Gorge is an awesome place.