PDA

View Full Version : looking for suggestions?

bert304
07-30-2010, 20:28
I am trying to find recipes for meals with no milk or eggs and no choc. The reason for this is my son is allergic to milk and choc and eggs. So I am in search of recipes for him so he could eat well if we camp over night. Any help would be great.

Thanks

couscous
07-30-2010, 21:18
What does he like at home? Maybe you could duplicate it on the trail? Some people dehydrate spaghetti sauce and hamburger and fix spaghetti on the trail. Some rice mixes don't have milk or eggs. He probably wouldn't like couscous mixes, but they don't have milk or eggs either.

coyote13
07-30-2010, 22:35
I like to take a little flour and mix up dumplings and then boil up some broth with cubes or bullion powder and make a nice lightweight easy soup

Rocket Jones
07-31-2010, 00:21
Stovetop stuffing in a freezer bag. Cover with near-boiling water and let sit wrapped up for 15 minutes. Add some sliced summer sausage or spam. Dehydrated veggies work great too.

For the morning, freezer bag oatmeal with walnuts, raisins and brown sugar. Good stuff.

grayfox
07-31-2010, 07:47
I have found that milk and eggs are the hardest things to get into my camp menus. Chocolate--sorry about that--poor kid.

Well, if you are only out overnight or weekends, just take what you normally fix at home. Think of it as a big box lunch. If you need to keep things cold you can feeze a few drink boxes or water bottles and pack them around food in a softside cooler.

With kids, the best thing is to take foods that they like at home. Pack up several small bags of goodies that he can carry with him during the day to snack on and make sure that his water doesn't 'taste funny' and he should be fine.

If you use a stove, the canister models are easy and comparatively safe around kids. A stove, a fry pan, a 2qt. pot, and a spoon and bowl for each person--you can do just about anything on the trail that you can do in your kitchen.

And don't forget about hotdogs on a stick. Its just not a memorable kid trip without a few flaming hot dogs lost in the fire pit.

Have fun.

coyote13
07-31-2010, 10:00
Hot dogs...how did I forget Hot dogs.
THANK YOU GRAYFOX

bert304
07-31-2010, 22:30
Well to start, He normally has cereal for breakfast with Silk (soy milk). I guess he could have dry cereal in a small bag or he eats store bought waffles. Most of the stuff he eats is processed food, that seems not to affect his allergies. For lunch and dinner he eats anything that is safe. I just have to write up a menu.

Anyone have opinions on the food from Harmony House foods?
I think I might order some samples from them.

grayfox
08-01-2010, 12:13
I use Silk as well because milk and I don't get along so well anymore. My local Walmart has it in small boxes, shelf stable in the drinks aisle, that I have put in the freezer and then used to keep the food in my soft side cooler fresh. I have seen waffels in bags by the bread or pancake mixes at the grocery store but they did not look that enticing to me and may need a toaster to prepare.

I can recommend nearly all the products from Harmony House. One kind of beef chunks has some extra ingredients that do not taste good to me but some other beef bits are fine. In general, fewer ingredients is better, IMO.

You can order the backpacker assortment but you might find the larger 'sampler' which is about ten dollars more will give you a wider range of choices. I would add some freeze dried products as well-corn, peas, beans, and some fruits-these come in larger packages. You get free shipping if your order is 100 dollars or more.

If you get tired of soupy dinners, the freeze dried veggies as well as all the fruit and some of the TVP can be eaten without cooking and are pleasantly crunchy.

You can mix and match all these dry ingredients to make nearly anything. I use cup of soup envelops or ramen as a base and add any veggies, fruit, nuts that appeal on the day. For two, you might double the packs or add other spice or flavorings to your taste. Check out the flavoring packets that are usually by the gravy mixes, some are good and can save you buying a lot of different ingredients. Check the servings per packet info and divide into small baggies, for pills at drugstore.

The TVP rehydrates well and quickly and is a good meat substitute. Or you can use tuna packets. I find the TVP good when mixed into soups and good to eat right from the bag, but I would not find it as good to cook by itself as a stand alone entree.

For short trips you might want to make a mix for soup and a mix for adding to rice or pasta. About a quarter to a half cup of dried mix per person is a good estimate. Keep your spices separate and add them to taste until you get a bit of experience in how much you like. It is hard to take spices out once you put them in and you can't just add more dry stuff--spice with caution IMO. If you buy the premixed products you may want to reserve some of the flavoring powder until you taste the food.

You can just look at most any cookbook and substitute dried for fresh and come up with a decent meal. Some practice is needed here. Most meals could be prepared with a freezer bag method, though I would suggest a pot with a lid until you get the feel for how long various things take to rehydrate. If it isn't quite done or needs more cold water added you can always put the pot back on the stove.

Have fun experimenting. I can post a recipe if you want but it might be more fun to do your own mixes. Basicly, a starch-potatoes, rice, pasta; a veggie mix; a spice or sauce mix. Pack each separatly and mix and match for any meal combination.

bert304
08-01-2010, 17:46
Thank you Grayfox for the info. I have been trying to figure out what to make him for breakfast that he would eat

sarbar
08-01-2010, 23:27
You can also get vanilla soy milk that is powdered - quite tasty!

Farr Away
08-02-2010, 16:19
You might also try making some breakfast cookies. They're typically very nutritionally dense, and would go well with some soy milk.

LaurieAnn
08-03-2010, 10:50
If you can't find the vanilla soy milk in powder form you can use a little vanilla sugar or vanilla powder to flavor regular powdered soy milk. It's too bad powdered almond milk is such a pita to find.

It's pretty easy to avoid eggs, milk and chocolate in trail foods. GrayFox has some excellent suggestions and have fun experimenting... my advice though, try the meals at home first to ensure that they will work out and that they suit his tastes.

One Half
08-07-2010, 23:09
Well to start, He normally has cereal for breakfast with Silk (soy milk). I guess he could have dry cereal in a small bag or he eats store bought waffles. Most of the stuff he eats is processed food, that seems not to affect his allergies. For lunch and dinner he eats anything that is safe. I just have to write up a menu.

Anyone have opinions on the food from Harmony House foods?
I think I might order some samples from them.

Don't they sell Silk in individual aseptic boxes like juice boxes that don't need refrigeration as long as you use all of it once you open it? If you want it cold for breakfast and you are near a water source maybe you could put it in the water overnight to chill it? (in a plastic bag to keep germies off the "spout").