PDA

View Full Version : Rangers, Ridgerunners and all the rest...

Omega Man
07-30-2010, 23:53
Rangers have a uniform, badge and have full peace officer powers, I would imagine they are easy to recognize. But what about Ridgerunners? What exactly is there function and what authority do they work under? Can they issue tickets or detain a hiker? Where would one expect to find a Ridgerunner? Do they wear any defining insignia? Do they stay in shelters along the AT or use a tent? Are Ridgerunners found along the entire length of the AT?

From reading some of the posts regarding GSNP, I'm left with the impression that the woods are teaming with Law Enforcement types, is this true?

Also, do thru-hikers get ticketed for hitchhiking to and from the trail?

Tinker
07-31-2010, 00:03
My friend, Peanut, is a ridgerunner and caretaker for a shelter on the Long Trail in Vermont. She wears a nametag while on duty. A couple of times in the White Mountains I have been charged a tentsite fee by an AMC caretaker. It's possible that an individual would try to charge a fee by pretending to be a caretaker. If you're suspicious, ask where their sleeping quarters are and arrange to meet them there to pay.
I'm not aware that ridgerunners and caretakers can issue tickets or detain disorderly people. The ones I've met had access to two-way radios and could contact their superiors (usually at a basecamp location) if troubles arose. My understanding has always been that they would have to contact the law enforcement officials who had jurisdiction over the county in which the section of trail lay, and that they, or possibly members of the Forest Service, would take care of the situation.

Don H
07-31-2010, 08:51
Ridgerunners are employed by the various trail clubs that have responsibility for sections of the AT. Some of their duties include; educating hikers (LNT,shelter and camping rules etc.), minor trail maintenance, and first responder to emergencies. They do not have police powers but most carry a radio and call the appropriate law enforcement agency if needed. I've only met one RR on the trail and that was in Shenandoah NP.

johnnyblisters
07-31-2010, 10:09
Ridgerunners enforce local regulations via the authority of the resource (vs. authority of the agency). They are mainly out there for education and encouraging stewardship among those who are recreating in the backcountry.

Hikes in Rain
07-31-2010, 12:47
I've only met rangers and ridgerunners in the Smokies, although I know they are elsewhere. Each encounter was enjoyable and informative. One saved me a bunch of work. I'd gotten a misimpression of the water source at Peck's Corner, and had gotten the idea it would be better to stock up at a tiny spring at the side trail junction, rather than the long downhill climb from the shelter. The ridgerunner kindly didn't laugh at me. Sure enough, got there and the tiny spring would have been a mess to get a night's water. Down at the shelter, the piped spring was relatively close (train was steep, though) and gushing like a firehose!

I has also hoped to hike from Derrick Knob to Mollie's Ridge, but ended up daudling too long taking pictures. With darkness and cold closing in, met rangers at Spence Field while getting water. They suggested stopping at Russell Field instead, changed my permit on the spot, and mentioned the scout troupe at Mollies, hinting that the almost empty Russell's would be more restful anyway.

All in all, I'm happy they're out there.

TheCheek
07-31-2010, 15:49
The trail is not teeming with rangers and ridge runners. I did a thru in 2005 and met about 10.ridge runners the whole way and every single ridge runner I've ever met have been really nice folks. Not in the least have they been power abusing types. Never saw a ranger on the AT.

SGT Rock
07-31-2010, 16:16
The ridgerunner I met on the trail in the smokies put on a uniform shirt when I saw him. He also had a radio.

Razor
08-01-2010, 16:09
Being a ridgerunner in Georgia this year was a blast. It was fun helping those that wanted it and those that didn't ,I left alone to enjoy or suffer to their own ability.It is our primary function to protect the resource and the major way we do that is teach and enforce Leave No Trace Principles.This happens 99.9% of the time with positive encounters .I especially enjoyed helping hikers with routes and specific trail questions .The most crazy part was seeing people start out who where not prepared for the first 40 miles and left abandoned gear,food and supplies .This is not right to the GATC who work 12 months a year to keep the trail to the best standards of any trail, anywhere. To answer your other questions, the ATC works with the local clubs to place RR's at locations where there are high use areas (ie--georgia,GSMNP,maine ,and many others)Each location has specific operating guidelines.I stayed in both shelters and tarped Depending on usage of the shelter.You can treat a RR as a resource ,he is there to help any one that is there to enjoy the trail and preserve it with the proper conservation methods. As to your question about hitching, it depends upon the state. State laws apply whereever you are.When I thrued I just did what I had to ( Even got a ride with a Virginia state trooper) Most people want to help around a trail.

B.B.
08-02-2010, 08:43
Just hiked the GA AT--Springer to Deep Gap N.C. a couple of weeks ago. I noticed your remarks in the shelter registers and thought it was cool to see you posting here and glad to hear just what you do. We were very impressed with the trail maintenance, the shelters...everything in general. Thanks so much for your efforts!!!

generoll
08-02-2010, 09:39
guys like Razor (and Razor specifically) are why I believe the GA section of the trail is the best maintained in what I've seen so far. I've heard hiker comment on the dramatic difference between the GA AT and the next one up the line.

B.B.
08-02-2010, 12:13
I would agree with that generoll....

canoehead
08-02-2010, 12:29
As a Ol'e RR in MA/CT the Sages Ravine area I had to wear a green shirt with an AMC patch on one sleeve and an AT Ridge Runner patch on the other.

Luddite
08-02-2010, 12:55
Being a ridgerunner in Georgia this year was a blast. It was fun helping those that wanted it and those that didn't ,I left alone to enjoy or suffer to their own ability.It is our primary function to protect the resource and the major way we do that is teach and enforce Leave No Trace Principles.This happens 99.9% of the time with positive encounters .I especially enjoyed helping hikers with routes and specific trail questions .The most crazy part was seeing people start out who where not prepared for the first 40 miles and left abandoned gear,food and supplies .This is not right to the GATC who work 12 months a year to keep the trail to the best standards of any trail, anywhere. To answer your other questions, the ATC works with the local clubs to place RR's at locations where there are high use areas (ie--georgia,GSMNP,maine ,and many others)Each location has specific operating guidelines.I stayed in both shelters and tarped Depending on usage of the shelter.You can treat a RR as a resource ,he is there to help any one that is there to enjoy the trail and preserve it with the proper conservation methods. As to your question about hitching, it depends upon the state. State laws apply whereever you are.When I thrued I just did what I had to ( Even got a ride with a Virginia state trooper) Most people want to help around a trail.

What kind of gear did you find abandoned?

Razor
08-02-2010, 16:33
If you could imagine any heavy version of a peice of gear ,it has been left. I once walked up to a shelter and found an entire setup there.Tent ,kitchen( iron skillet,2 pots, spoons,fork) blue tarp,shovel,hatchet,stakes,and mice infested food. They walked in ,camped,and then walked off. Although this is not average, you can not name a piece of gear that has not been left in some shelter.Of course,this gear is usually cheap and heavy.I can not remember wanting to use any that I found.It always wound up in the dumpster. And for those who are reading this,pack it in--pack it out.

Lauriep
08-02-2010, 19:12
More about what ridgerunners do at: www.appalachiantrail.org/ridgerunners.

Laurie P.
ATC

Rain Man
08-02-2010, 21:22
... every single ridge runner I've ever met have been really nice folks....

I've only met two or three and will DITTO the above statement. Nice, helpful, valuable folks.

Rain:sunMan

Philetus
08-10-2010, 22:09
I'll take a chance here to say a personal thank you to Razor. My hiking partner and I spent a night at a shelter with him in late May, and then saw him in Hiawassee the next night and the three of us grabbed dinner together. If you run into this guy in the mountains of north Georgia, get him telling stories. The night at Tray Mountain Shelter was one of the highlights of Georgia for me.