PDA

View Full Version : Piped spring south of Big Bald

10-K
07-31-2010, 19:29
Last year I was hiking , going north, between Sam's Gap and Spivey Gap and I found an unmarked piped spring a mile or 2 south of Big Bald.

I've hiked that section 6 or 7 times since, and today I hiked it again specifically to find that spot and didn't have any luck.

Does anyone know the place I'm talking about? It was on the left (going north) and downhill from the trail.

couscous
07-31-2010, 19:48
If nobody can tell you specifically, this is where I would look. (Map) (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=35.9871566,-82.4967598&ie=UTF8&t=p&z=15)

Tennessee Viking
07-31-2010, 20:08
It sounds like the campsite at Low Gap. You walk pass Street Gap along that flat ridge top. Right before you start to climb to the Wolf Laurel access trails and the bad weather trail, you come to a large flat saddle area to the left of the trail.

In 08, I did an overnighter and I remember seeing a fairly good spring running through that area, but I never stopped.

There should be a couple blue blazes (not listed/mapped) to some alternate water sources just before that on the right. And a couple springs before reaching the bald. But I don't remember seeing anything else until the shelter.

weary
07-31-2010, 20:45
Last year I was hiking , going north, between Sam's Gap and Spivey Gap and I found an unmarked piped spring a mile or 2 south of Big Bald.

I've hiked that section 6 or 7 times since, and today I hiked it again specifically to find that spot and didn't have any luck.

Does anyone know the place I'm talking about? It was on the left (going north) and downhill from the trail.
I don't have a clue. But I do have a bit of background. Piped springs used to be routine on American trails. Maintainers would run pipes from upstream sources to campsites. Then 20 years ago or so ago, clean water laws required piped water sources to be tested for several potential contaminants.

As a result, most piped water sources were discontinued. At Chimney Pond in Baxter Park, for instance, the pipes that brought water from an upstream brook were removed, leaving only the pond itself as a water source for most users of the area. Having remembered the upstream sources I always wander upstream a bit before getting drinking water. Most, however, use the pond, which is pretty clean, but down from the 'WASH BOWL" WHERE MANY CAMPERS WAS THEIR DISHES.

BTW. the caps are not shouting and have no significance. I just hit the caps lock key by mistake.

I was a bit surprised when I walked north from Georgia in 1993, to discover many piped streams, several years after the new regs were imposed.

I haven't been hiking in the south for a decade, so I don't know the current situation. But you may have discovered a long unused piped spring.

Weary

jlb2012
08-01-2010, 08:41
It sounds like the campsite at Low Gap. You walk pass Street Gap along that flat ridge top. Right before you start to climb to the Wolf Laurel access trails and the bad weather trail, you come to a large flat saddle area to the left of the trail.

Good chance it was the campsite at Low Gap - I remember the piped spring from last year when I camped there and it was to the left and downhill somewhat from the trail as the trail heads north - campsite is in easy view of the trail but the pipe was somewhat hidden by some brush.

10-K
08-01-2010, 09:08
Good chance it was the campsite at Low Gap - I remember the piped spring from last year when I camped there and it was to the left and downhill somewhat from the trail as the trail heads north - campsite is in easy view of the trail but the pipe was somewhat hidden by some brush.

That might be it..sounds like it. I guess I haven't been able to find it because everything is all greened up and there's a good chance I'm not looking in exactly the right place.

Chaco Taco
08-04-2010, 16:36
There is a piped spring just before the run up to the top. There used to be a wooden "bulletin board" looking thing, but that got cut down. There are some rocks and a fire ring, its just past that down the hill a bit. There is also a spring before that bout a mile, but someone took the pipe for it.

tiffanys
08-06-2010, 02:39
I remember the piped spring from last year when I camped there and it was to the left and downhill somewhat from the trail as the trail heads north - campsite is in easy view of the trail but the pipe was somewhat hidden by some brush.

10-K
08-06-2010, 05:14
So, I guess I'm looking for Low Gap, right? I'll check in my guidebook to see if I can't zero in on it.

sherrill
08-06-2010, 10:09
I believe it's right before Low Gap, about 3.8 miles from Sams Gap. Sounds like others have camped there too.

As you head north you'll cross over a small rise, then the trail levels out and you'll see the campsite down to the left. If you go down the hill and stand near the fire pit in the middle, the pipe is almost in front of you as you start back up the hill. As others say, it's in some brush, but it's not hard to find.