PDA

View Full Version : Hanging in SNP

coyote13
07-31-2010, 20:42
Howdy
!! I want to post a couple of questions about hanging in SNP but can't figure this computer thingy out enough to learn where and how to start topic.Help please

coyote13
07-31-2010, 21:14
I am doing flip/flop of SNP in May 2011.
My questions are as follows :
1- space between trees in SNP. If I remember correctly from several years ago the forest is pretty tightly grown in some places,So is there room to hang all along the A.T. in the park?

2-need to bring bug net in May?

3-Is there Hanging allowed at shelters?

These and any other info you can offer would be greatly appreciated.Thank You

Just Jeff
07-31-2010, 23:53
1 - If there's room to plant a tent, there's room to hang a hammock. You just have to walk until you find a suitable site, but many folks hammock thru SNP...it's no harder than carrying a tent.

2 - Yes.

3 - I don't think there are any rules regarding hammocks in shelters. (If so, they're new rules.) If the shelter is sturdy enough and you're not inconveniencing anyone by doing it, go ahead. I've hung in several shelters but none in SNP...maybe someone here can give you more info on the specific shelters you plan to stay at.

couscous
08-01-2010, 00:17
I'm guessing Coyote13 was asking if it is ok to hang hammocks close to shelters .. rather than inside. Answer is still yes.

coyote13
08-01-2010, 10:10
Thank you all and yes I should have been clearer, I meant at shelter locations as opposed to IN the shelters themselves.

jlb2012
08-01-2010, 11:21
hammock spots that I have used near shelters in SNP

Black Rock Hut : 1st "tent" site below the privy on the right; last tent site above the hut on the right

Pine Field Hut : 1st tent site on the left (roughly the same level as the privy)

Hightop Hut : last (furthest back) tent site to the left of the hut as you face the hut; closest one to the hut is also usable but the tree you tie to rubs against another tree and is very annoying trying to sleep there

Bear Fence Hut : IIRC the last tent site on the left as you are facing the hut (sort of above the spring)

Rock Spring Hut : last (furthest back) tent site behind the privy (somewhat uphill and to the left as walking by the privy)

Gravel Springs Hut : I think it was the last tent site up hill behind and to the left of the hut as you face the hut

In addition to the official tent sites I have also hung using the beam in front of Hightop Hut and various unofficial spots behind Hightop Hut

kayak karl
08-01-2010, 11:46
Listen to him :) he taught me a lot in one hour on Springer.
HOI knows his stuff.
How ya been:)

KK

coyote13
08-01-2010, 22:25
thanks to you all. Hog I am coping this list because my short term memory is...ooooh look rabbits.

gunner76
08-06-2010, 22:08
Better than no term memory. Now, what were we talking about ?