PDA

View Full Version : Hole in insulated jacket...

David S.
11-14-2004, 12:12
I have had the Mont-Bell thermawrap jacket and am loving it...however, "note to self" don't wear these jackets where sparks from fire might get on it! I had a small spark land on my shoulder and it burned a small hole in the fabric about 1/4 inch around...leaving a small white gaping hole revealing the white insulation. (the insulation is actually kind of unique looking for being synthetic) I am wondering what would be the best way and unsightly way to fix this. Here is what I have done so fare. I cut a small patch off of the stuff sack that came with it (its the exact same fabric). I then took this patch and with tweezers, slide it in underneath the shell of the jacket to cover the hole from the underside...and it actually looks hardly noticable now. Now I just need a good way of securing it. I have thought about some sort of glue...maybe contact cement of some sort but I am not sure what type of glue would be best on this nylon. Any ideas would be welcome. I have thought about sewing but it just seems way to intricate.

hikerltwt
11-14-2004, 12:23
If you are wearing that jacket for the woods/hiking, who cares what it looks like, as long as it keeps you warm? As Jack Johnson says "Look at all those fancy clothes, but theese could keep us warm just like those."

Youngblood
11-14-2004, 12:32
A girlfriend of mine once used a hiker's patch for the Georgia Park Service to repair a hole in her jacket. It looked pretty good.

Youngblood

FatMan
11-14-2004, 12:34
I have used this on tent flys, tarps, and sleeping bags for the same problem of being to close to a blazing fire. It works real well and if applied properly will not come off under normal use.

I can't speak for a jacket, but I would think it would work, and if it did come off after time, you can easily replace it. It is worth a try.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=59867

Daddy Longlegs
11-14-2004, 12:38
Duck tape it and forget-about-it.:D or AT patch and cover it.