PDA

View Full Version : Jonesing For the Fall

mtnkngxt
08-01-2010, 12:13
Anyone else out there having serious trail withdraws?

It is entirely too hot out for this hiker to be out on the trail, and I am desperately awaiting the middle of September and those reasonable 75 degree days to return so that I can get back out on the trail.

Unfortunately I'm going to have classes on Friday and Monday this year, so it looks like my 4 day weekend adventurers are a thing of the past.

Thats all just sitting at home in the AC missing the trail, and repeatedly packing my pack.

Llama Legs
08-01-2010, 12:29
[QUOTE=mtnkngxt;1036513]Anyone else out there having serious trail withdraws?

YES !!

ExosC3
08-01-2010, 13:41
take a weekend trip up north maybe...

im doing a 6 day NY thru next week. cant wait! looks like the highs around 85 and lows around 64...may be hot but its certainly bearable

Panzer1
08-01-2010, 15:43
keep in mind that hunting season starts in the fall so get out as early as possible in the fall.

Panzer

mtnkngxt
08-01-2010, 18:29
No hunting in Grayson Highlands or the surrounding area inside the park. That's my usual stomping grounds during the fall.

Chaos_Being
08-03-2010, 15:52
You are not alone. I've been going nuts wanting to get some hiking in on the weekends, but the only nice days we've gotten around here have been on the weekdays (last weekend excluded, but I already had plans.)

This weekend is supposed to be fairly decent though...I can deal with mid-80's, just not 90's and 100's.

solstice
08-03-2010, 19:35
God, yes. I hate, hate, hate summer weather in Florida. Getting ready to move the **** out of here early next year, finally!

My first planned fall hike for this year is indeed Grayson Highlands. Should be gorgeous.

generoll
08-03-2010, 21:17
summer is hot wherever you are. It just gets shorter as you move north.

Graywolf
08-03-2010, 21:25
Woke up last night. I was completely surrounded by darkness. I could feel the wind in my face. It was sooooo cool..I thought, "How nice to be on the trail". I could even hear the breeze russle the trees above me. I looked up and saw the familiar White Blaze on a tree not far from me. Alas!!! I woke up. I was surrounded by four walls, a fan blwing in my face, the cat playing with the drapes, and a White Blaze replica hanging on the wall.. Dang It!! Such a good dream too. Im going back to sleep..

Sincerly missing the Trail...

Graywolf

johnnybgood
08-03-2010, 22:39
This past weekend I finally got to hike with daytime temps in the upper 70's. A light steady rain fell during the night and the morning hours were actually a bit cool. I then zipped up my sleeping bag and went back to sleep in my hammock.
It was then that I realized just how much I had missed hiking this summer.

Bucherm
08-04-2010, 00:21
This past Friday I abruptly decided to go ahead and do a short little hike out to Tibbet Knob in the evening, camp, and hike out the next day. Did wonders for the soul even if it was a short hike.

I find that the 1-2 miles each way hikes are better in this kind of weather, since one can hike in in the evening and hike out in the early morning.