PDA

View Full Version : Sleep system

cole
08-01-2010, 13:12
I have been struggling with my sleep system decision for my 2011 thru hike. I have read about people swapping out their sleeping bags for warmer weather bags. I have previously hiked with two separate bags for winter and summer seasons. I have since given away both as I have outgrown them. So I am left with no other decision but to purchase a new one. I would like to not have to buy two new bags. I don't have the largest budget to work with so I'd like to spend my money on one nice piece of equipment rather than two lesser pieces. I can handle a good amount of cold but but not too much as I have around 8-9% body fat.
So my question is what would be a good option as far as having one bag for the entire trip and if there is a good option will a bag liner in the colder temps suffice. I will be starting late April. Looking for something in the ultralight to lightweight range.
Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks

garlic08
08-01-2010, 13:38
Starting in late April, you don't need a really good warm bag. You can probably get by with a budget down bag like the Campmor 20 down bag, around $120. It's a good thru hike bag with continuous baffling so you can shift down from top to bottom and vice versa for different temps.

cole
08-01-2010, 21:21
my apologies I meant late march/early april

Ironbelly
08-02-2010, 08:11
I would go with a bag somewhere in the range of 15-30, you can always sleep with it a little open if your warm, but will do well on the chilly nights as well. I don't own two bags, I have 1 15F bag as my sole bag. I do have a thermarest reactor plus liner I carry in winter that adds about 10F to it.

So thats my opinion, buy one nice bag, take care of it, and either use it like a quilt in warmer weather, or add a liner for deep winter weather.

cole
08-02-2010, 15:53
Thanks for the replies garlic08 and ironbelly. I guess I will get a 20 degree bag and a liner. This seems to make the most sense.

Any suggestions as far as brands/models go? Most of my older bags ended up with zipper issues and were too bulky. I want something that will pack down small but will also loft nicely.

garlic08
08-02-2010, 17:07
In my opinion you can't beat down for weight, compressibility and loft, but it takes some experience and care to keep it dry. As they say, down is always best unless it isn't. That Campmor bag noted above is probably your best bet for the money, unless you see a better quality down (550 fill at Campmor is fairly low grade) on sale somewhere. You have months to look around. My first down bag was the Campmor and it worked well for a thru hike of the PCT and then some.

I really like a continuously baffled bag so you can shift down around. It takes a little more fussing, but it's more versatile for more seasons. You also want a full zip for warmer weather.

If you get a chance, try out whatever you buy in cold weather this winter and get some experience with it before the hike. Try it out in wet weather, too, and make sure you can keep it dry with whatever shelter you're using.

JAK
08-02-2010, 21:51
Speaking of sleep systems, I am growing some German Chamomile and just made tea for the first time. Stuff works. Does it grow on the trail?

buz
08-04-2010, 16:50
IMO, the campmor bag is a good value bag, but not a 20 degree bag, more like 30, based on scout experience with 5-10 users. I own one, and put 4 ounces of hq down in it. Now it is a for sure 20 degree or lower bag. Low cost for decent down bag, but if you have a budget that can handle a nicer down bag, I would spend the cash. 800 fp, lighter, more compressible, warmer, but more $. Will last a long time. I would agree with garlic's comments 100%, and add, fit is crucial, figure out what fit is best by trying some bags out that you know the exact dimensions on. Makes comparing much easier. One bag will work fine, but in the warmer months, you will be carrying extra weight, so what, if that is what you can afford.