PDA

View Full Version : Evolution of the breakfast shake

BrianLe
08-02-2010, 08:10
On the PCT I had prepped a number of (really, way too many) resupply boxes, and in each one I had made up double-ziplock bags of protein shake powder --- soy protein shake pre-mixed with powdered milk. This was great to have, albeit I did start to get tired of the taste of soy.

On the AT this year I wanted a lot less resupply boxes (five total), so I knew I had to do something different, but I liked, and still like having something akin to a breakfast shake as part of my cold trail breakfast (which generally is a whole lot like my trail lunch ...).

So I just started using those breakfast shakes that you can buy in larger stores (typically in the same aisle as cereals). I'd get a 3-quart amount of powdered milk and pre-mix it all up in town, again in double (quart) ziplocks, and pour out an estimated amount every morning for breakfast.

Then I took my next step down (literally I think down) the nutrition chain by switching to hot cocoa mix. Two packets of hot cocoa in a 20 oz gatorade bottle, add cold water and shake. Certainly doesn't supply the protein or nutrients, but delicious, and dead easy --- no separate milk to get and pre-mix, can just keep the stuff in the packets that it comes in, and even gas station mini-marts and little camp stores often (or at least "sometimes") carry hot chocolate mix.

On the AT, I didn't see this (nutrition difference) as a problem since this particular trail has so bloody many resupply options, not only was I carrying generally less food on my back, I was eating town food more often, thus more chances to get protein and other goodness to make up for what inevitably most thru-hikers are starving themselves of in between towns.

While the above might not be rocket science or any major revelation to most, it was a nice discovery for me this year. Now, I have no idea how I'll work it on the CDT next year, but my inclination will be to stick to the hot chocolate packets and see how that goes. I really like "easy".

corialice81
08-02-2010, 08:16
carnation instant breakfast?

Fiddleback
08-02-2010, 10:46
Carnation (instant breakfast) Essentials and Nido with some Medaglia D'Oro instant expresso. I sift the ingredients at home which reduces clumping.

The beverage and a couple Logan bread bars makes for a high calorie and highly nutritious breakfast that doesn't weigh in the gut during the morning's hoof down the trail.:)

FB

BrianLe
08-02-2010, 10:48
"carnation instant breakfast?"

Right, Carnation Instant Breakfast (http://carnationinstantbreakfastessentials.com/Public/Default.aspx) is what I was using earlier on the trail this year before switching to just hot chocolate packets. The Carnation product calls for mixing it with milk, hence the need to find both the Carnation stuff as well as powdered milk at resupply points, and then to mix them together (either in town, or as-you-go on the trail). Plus, FWIW, the standard amount of powdered milk I could buy was typically a little more than called for in mixing with a box of Carnation I.B. --- no big deal that, however, either give away the extra milk powder, use it for something else, or just have a richer milk percentage.

But hot cocoa packets are a whole lot easier to find and to use ...

garlic08
08-02-2010, 11:39
I've discovered that you can leave the milk out of lots of things and they still work. If you want to keep it even simpler, try just using water with your breakfast. I'm not sure hot cocoa mix has much in it besides sugar, with a trace of milk and flavoring, at an inflated price. I tried it once and it was way too sweet for me.

I was adverse to trying my cold breakfast (homemade muesli of oats, nuts, raisins) without milk, despite the urgings of my lactose-intolerant friend. I finally tried it, found it very palatable (different flavors come out beyond the strange taste of powdered milk), and my resupply got much simpler. It is hard to find powdered milk, and it's often the most expensive thing I buy, so it's nice to not worry about that any more.

Congratulations on your AT hike, and good luck on the CDT. Like you, I hiked the PCT first, and that give me a different perspective on the AT than most have. I made three shoe/guide book drops and no food drops at all, and found resupply to be mostly a breeze on the AT.

Kerosene
08-02-2010, 11:54
I sift the ingredients at home which reduces clumping.How does sifting decrease clumping? I take it that you sift all the ingredients together?

Fiddleback
08-03-2010, 11:08
How does sifting decrease clumping? I take it that you sift all the ingredients together?

How does it do it? I dunno.:D

I do mix and sift the ingredients together and then repackage enough for two drinks in individual baggies. The sifting results in a finer grained mix which I suspect allows it to dissolve more quickly with less/smaller clumps than otherwise. I like the results and 'convenience' on the trail.

Little savings here and there...it may, or may not be worth it...:rolleyes:

FB

Rain Man
08-03-2010, 14:29
Carnation (instant breakfast) Essentials and Nido .... The beverage and a couple Logan bread bars makes for a high calorie and highly nutritious breakfast that doesn't weigh in the gut during the morning's hoof down the trail.

I also like Carnation Essentials (strawberry) mixed with Nido. Really hits the spot for me. But what are "Logan bread bars"? Just googled them and came up blank.

Rain:sunMan

mister krabs
08-03-2010, 15:06
I also like Carnation Essentials (strawberry) mixed with Nido. Really hits the spot for me. But what are "Logan bread bars"? Just googled them and came up blank.

while you may be an excellent driver, your google fu (http://www.google.com/search?q=logan+bread&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a) is weak rain man. :D

Razor
08-03-2010, 15:15
Many,many of us have google Fu weakness. Is it contagious?

mister krabs
08-03-2010, 15:53
Many,many of us have google Fu weakness. Is it contagious?

I think it's generational and vocational, not catching, thank goodness :D

Turtle Feet
08-03-2010, 19:31
carnation instant breakfast?

I did the Carnation instant breakfast thing a few years back when I had my kids out on Isle Royale. They were small, so basically I was carrying food for 3 people (albeit small people). The only problem for me was that they weren't very filling!

I've since found a meal replacement that comes individually packaged (weigh 1.7oz each) that you just add water to. They're low in cals. but high in protein. :banana I'll probably be using those a few weeks at a time (I get bored easily), then switch to a granola mix with hot tea (not mixed! ;)) and back again.

I've eaten 2 lifetimes worth of instant oatmeal on the trail, but anyone have any other tasty, lightweight suggestions????

turtle feet

Fiddleback
08-04-2010, 10:16

Try again. I just Googled "Logan bread" and got "1,100,000 results (0.10 seconds)":D

Farr Away
08-04-2010, 11:50
Try "logan bar recipe". I got 8 results.

-FA

KnittingMelissa
08-04-2010, 19:51
I've eaten 2 lifetimes worth of instant oatmeal on the trail, but anyone have any other tasty, lightweight suggestions????

turtle feet

Mix your morning allotment of cocoa powder in with the instant oatmeal. I usually just get the regular instant oatmeal (cheaper), and pour in the cocoa mix with it while hiking (I always need a warm breakfast), and just mix it all with a little too much water for just oatmeal. Tasty, fast, and lightweight. Easy to clean the old pot too, afterward.

budforester
08-04-2010, 20:15
I get a little more mileage from my hot cocoa, by stirring in a dollop of peanut butter. If that's breakfast, I still want something munchable... bread, cracker, cookie.

Rain Man
08-04-2010, 22:43
while you may be an excellent driver, your google fu (http://www.google.com/search?q=logan+bread&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a) is weak rain man. :D

LOL.... yeah, didn't try other iterations, just the term used in the post. My bad.
:D

Krewzer
08-04-2010, 22:46
Vanilla Carnation Instant Breakfast, Nido, favorite cold cereal, ziplock bag, spoon, just add water. Tastes great, last a long time....sometimes an hour or two before needing a snicker's.

Sierra Echo
08-04-2010, 23:02
I drink glucose free boost for breakfast every morning. it has 16 grams of protein and only 7 grams of fat!

leaftye
08-10-2010, 05:00
Got any tricks for getting that powder into your drink bottle? I disliked my powdered meals when it was windy or raining. My method was to use a 1/3 cup scooper to transfer the powder from a ziplock freezer bag to my mixing bottle.

I think something like those icing dispensers with the bag and a nozzle, but I have no idea how I'd reliably close off the nozzle, and that's if the powder even goes thru the nozzle well enough.

Miner
08-10-2010, 13:33
When I make trail shakes, I use a DIY funnel to pour the powder cleanly into the water bottle. I cut the top off a 16oz water bottle and you have an instant funnel. If you screw the lid back on it, you have a scooper.

mister krabs
08-10-2010, 15:07
Got any tricks for getting that powder into your drink bottle? I disliked my powdered meals when it was windy or raining. My method was to use a 1/3 cup scooper to transfer the powder from a ziplock freezer bag to my mixing bottle.

I think something like those icing dispensers with the bag and a nozzle, but I have no idea how I'd reliably close off the nozzle, and that's if the powder even goes thru the nozzle well enough.

You could use ziplock snack bags for individual servings and just cut off the corner. Make it just large enough to fit in the bottle top and you'll have no problem getting the powder in.

BTW, that's one of the two cheap ways to make an impromptu piping bag, the other is to make a cone out of a sheet of parchment and cut the tip off that.

leaftye
08-10-2010, 15:26
I currently put a full days worth of powder in each bag. Cutting a corner off the bag may work, but I need to come up with a secure way of sealing it back up.

The bottle funnel/scooper might not help much because I'm trying to prevent the powder from blowing away, getting soaked in the rain or getting sand blown in it. Also, eliminating the scooper would reduce the risk of contaminating my food.

mister krabs
08-10-2010, 15:44
I think you're not getting what I am saying, use smaller bags (snack size ziplocks) with one portion. if you're worried about weight or waste, use non zip sandwich baggies (thinner and lighter) and tie them closed with one serving inside.

sbhikes
08-10-2010, 16:18
Here's a "shake" recipe I've discovered. A generous portion of chia seeds combined with a packet of lemonade or other refreshing drink. Let the seeds soak in the water for at least 15 minutes. They turn into a slush sort of similar to boba (bubble) tea. I have not tried it with cold milk tea, but I bet it would be great!

Turtle Feet
08-10-2010, 16:46

Unless you're trying to save the bag, could you just snip one of the bottom corners of the and pour it in?

TF

boarstone
08-10-2010, 18:34
Mix instant breaksfast in the oatmeal...

leaftye
08-10-2010, 20:53
I think you're not getting what I am saying, use smaller bags (snack size ziplocks) with one portion. if you're worried about weight or waste, use non zip sandwich baggies (thinner and lighter) and tie them closed with one serving inside.

There are advantages with that too, but preparing that many baggies prior to a thru-hike would be excruciating. It'd be at least 500 baggies versus the ~100 I prepared for this years thru hike. I may ask my supplement provider if he can package my custom blend of powder in small rip-open packages. Actually, I think he already does...

BrianLe
08-10-2010, 22:10
"Cutting a corner off the bag may work, but I need to come up with a secure way of sealing it back up."

When I was doing protein shakes and breakfast shakes, what worked for me was a double quart ziplock bag. Double seemed to be important to keep shake powder from getting on other stuff. To pour it's just a sort of knack to hold the inner ziplock in such as way as to form a little pour spout and tap the bag to encourage powder to flow at a reasonable rate. I poured this stuff into a 20 oz gatorade bottle, i.e., something with a decently wide mouth, which also helps a lot.

And, I normally opened my tent and poured outside the tent ... no matter how good you get at this it seems like it's always possible to have a little powder go astray. In high winds I might just decide to defer the shake to another time (!).