PDA

View Full Version : Pa campsites

Halesy
08-02-2010, 16:18
I've looked around but couldn't find any other thread to answer my question. Planning about a thirty mile SOBO hike next week from Swatara State Park to Duncannon. Rausch Gap Shelter is only 4 miles from our starting point and the next shelter is more than 20 miles (a bit too far for us in one day). Does anyone know if there are campsites to throw the tents up in that first 10-15 miles? Also, how might the springs be running?
Thanks.

Wags
08-02-2010, 16:42
nope no shelters there. that's just a big day you'll have to do. most of it across farm fields, and then 2 big ups and downs into duncannon. plan on no water at darlington shelter. it's notorious for being dry...

Jester2000
08-02-2010, 17:41
nope no shelters there. that's just a big day you'll have to do. most of it across farm fields, and then 2 big ups and downs into duncannon. plan on no water at darlington shelter. it's notorious for being dry...

Darlington is also notorious for being South of Duncannon, so whether it's dry or not probably won't be an issue.

To the original poster, there aren't any shelters between Rausch Gap Shelter (the first close one you mentioned) and Peters Mountain Shelter, which is a bit more than 17 miles.

But you can camp along the way. I don't know how the springs are running, but I would recommend watering up at 325 road crossing before heading South of there. It's annoying to carry water uphill, but the water at Peters Mountain is waaaay down the hill and occasionally unreliable. Which I suppose means always unreliable.

BadAndy
08-02-2010, 22:16
There are a few good campsites through the area. The Yellow Springs Village site (about 3 miles past Rausch Gap Shelter) has a ton of great sites, not sure about water. There is a nice spot close to the Rattling Run creek, and a nice spot on top of Stony Mountain.

Wags
08-02-2010, 23:25
oh whoops. i was on the wrong side of duncannon :D

Wags
08-02-2010, 23:29
so basically disregard my entire 1st post :D

on that note, one of the lookouts near 325 had a sweet copperhead den last year.

ki0eh
08-03-2010, 07:20
Last weekend there was a rattler IN the trail between the turnoff for The General and the Yellow Springs site. That stretch is green tunnel certainly not an expected basking area. I had to detour crashing through the laurel to get around it.

Also, just in case the reply to the other similar thread wasn't seen, search on "325" and previous threads discussing camping and water will show up. Not enough time today for me to go cutting and pasting, alas.

flemdawg1
08-03-2010, 12:59
I've looked around but couldn't find any other thread to answer my question. Planning about a thirty mile SOBO hike next week from Swatara State Park to Duncannon. Rausch Gap Shelter is only 4 miles from our starting point and the next shelter is more than 20 miles (a bit too far for us in one day). Does anyone know if there are campsites to throw the tents up in that first 10-15 miles? Also, how might the springs be running?
Thanks.

I did this hike July '09:
Rausch Gap from Swatara Gap 6.1 miles
Peter's Mtn Shelter from Raush Gap 18 miles
Doyle Hotel from Peter's Mtn ~12 miles

Got water at Rausch Gap, the creek at PA 325 and then Peter's Mtn Shelter (those steps truly sucked after a 18 mile day).

I did see some campsites between Rausch Gap and PA 325 near the Yellow Springs Village.

Halesy
08-03-2010, 14:00
Thanks alot everyone. It should be easier to plan this hike now. This site's the best.

Wise Old Owl
08-03-2010, 21:05
One of the best preview tools after the books is Google Earth with the shelters and trail loaded kml's.