PDA

View Full Version : Hiking end-to-end: how long on average?

swankerme
08-02-2010, 18:03
How long on average does it take a seasoned hiker to complete the Long Trail end-to-end?

I am leaving to hike north-south on Thursday, and have about 21-22 days. I am hoping to be able to finish the entire trail, but am wondering if I might be slightly cut short on time. I am young, in shape, tend to hike fast, etc.

Tuckahoe
08-02-2010, 18:13
I have never hiked The Long Trail, so please forgive me for butting in. However, as the trail is about 272 miles, a daily average of 15 miles would get you to the end with time to spare.

Mags
08-02-2010, 18:33
I did the LT back in 1997 in worse shape than I am in now, much heavier gear and no long distance hiking experience. Took me 18 days.

If you are in good shape and with light gear, 22 days is more than enough IMO.

stranger
08-06-2010, 03:56
A seasoned hiker, which to me means experienced and fit, should have no problem hiking the Long Trail in 3 weeks. That works out to 90 miles a week, even on a 6 day week you're only looking at 15 per day, which is quite reasonable.

Keep in mind that the LT is tough, especially from Canada to Route 4, so 15 miles might take 1-2 hours longer than you might expect, but might not.

I'll be out again in September, have a great hike!

mirabela
08-07-2010, 17:31
If you are indeed young, fit, and accustomed to big miles then that ought to be enough time. The northern part is really tough, though. There are places on the LT where 15 miles can be tougher than, say, 25 on the AT through the Whites. If you know the AT well, the best comparison I can give you is the Mahoosucs -- the stretch from Ap Gap to Camels Hump, for instance, or from Bolton Mtn. on up to Rt. 15 are a lot like that. You can do 20 mile days in there if you must, but you're sure going to earn them. On the other hand, once you get south of the Maine Junction, there are places you can really fly.

10-K
08-07-2010, 17:34
There are places on the LT where 15 miles can be tougher than, say, 25 on the AT through the Whites.

Wow, I can't even imagine it.

mdipi
08-07-2010, 23:51
I thru hiked NOBO in 28 days although the group we ended up finishing with did it in 21. There are parts where it's very, very slow going, so try to a couple extra miles any time you get the chance since the next day could be a lot rougher than expected.

Mags
08-08-2010, 19:54
There are places on the LT where 15 miles can be tougher than, say, 25 on the AT through the Whites.

I am not sure about that... While the LT had some very tough stretches ..I don't if it was THAT much more difficult than the Whites..at least for me. :)

DavidNH
08-08-2010, 23:09
How long on average does it take a seasoned hiker to complete the Long Trail end-to-end?

I am leaving to hike north-south on Thursday, and have about 21-22 days. I am hoping to be able to finish the entire trail, but am wondering if I might be slightly cut short on time. I am young, in shape, tend to hike fast, etc.

You can do the trail in 21-22 days. You will have to move along and keep zero days to a minimum. Starting at northern end you get the toughest part first and there are sections that are as tough or tougher than the whites. Plan to take no more than two weeks (14 days) down to route 4. If you an do that then you're golden.

David

Jester2000
08-10-2010, 01:36
I hiked it in 21 days. I was neither young nor in shape.