PDA

View Full Version : Stove fuel

Different Socks
08-03-2010, 00:15
How readily available is white gas on the FT?

mmais68569
08-03-2010, 20:24
I hiked the FT in the Ocala National forest from Clearwater Lake to the 88 store & back down the west corridor this past February & unless they sell it at the 88 store which I do not know. There is NO PLACE in that 100 + miles to buy fuel.

I would suggest canister fuel & do a mail drop with a new can to the 88 store.
If I can be of anymore help let me know as I have done a lot of trail work in the above area & can help you out.

Mike

Mountain Dog
08-04-2010, 13:41
I'm dating myself but when younger, white gas referred to any "Non Leaded" gas. It was used in camping gear. The only place selling "white Gas" was AMMOCO. "White Gas" is everywhere now. So, if you have an old system that referrs to White Gas it probably means unleaded gas. If "Coleman" fuel or equivalent is meant to be "White Gas" then I guess unleaded fuel could possibly be dangerous.

Different Socks
08-06-2010, 00:29
Coleman fuel, and yes you are "old school".

JAK
08-06-2010, 00:42
Well, if he was really really old school he would be running his automobile on it. :)

I couldn't sleep so I went out on the patio to make some tea from the herb garden. It's raining so I have the umbrella up on the patio table. Heating up honey water with a sterno. Added chamomile flowers, lemon verbsomethingorother, spearmint, and peppermint. Beeswax candle for light. Some insense but bugs not too bad. Coming to a boil now in my stainless steel mug. Using a ceramic mug to dring from.

I think I might take my ceramic mug on my next hike. I like drinking from it.

JAK
08-06-2010, 01:09
Tea's kicking in nicely now,
but I might stay up for a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXxPzqk4dDU

Mountain Dog
08-07-2010, 10:44
I use a cannister stove but if you are worried about fuel and are doing a really long hike, think about an MSW Whisper Light. I started with one a few years back and it had jets that gave you the choice of coleman or car gas.