PDA

View Full Version : Flavor Additives for Water?

Turkey Sandwich
08-03-2010, 21:08
Does anyone have any good suggestions for something to add to water to spice it up and take the drudgery out of drinking the same thing for a week? I've heard some people dump a little Kool Aid mix in, or some Emergen-C. Has anyone tried these? Any other recommendations?

HiKen2011
08-03-2010, 21:16
Gatorade, propel powdered mix is what I like.

kayak karl
08-03-2010, 21:22
lipton has green tea, but most of the time you just got to settle for what they sell in town.

Lostone
08-03-2010, 21:27
the drink mixes are great.. I usually treat myself to one or two a day. They are light weight and you can carry a variety in a small zip lock bag. Most wally worlds have a nice selection of them. Tea's, electrolyte replacement drinks, or crystal light style drinks in a multitude of flavors.

My kids carry their own selection of them and take great care in selecting and packing......I have heard some lengthy discussions about selection and when to drink it.......Son saved his favorite for last and ended up drinking it in the car on the way home.

Kids are great.

Cabin Fever
08-03-2010, 21:35
Another product out there is Nuun tablets. I tried some and didn't care for them. I opt for gatorade powder. I just wish they sold the powder in more flavors. Once in a while, I will see the little sleeves of Gatorade.

Mango
08-03-2010, 21:40
To me, emergen-C tastes bad, so i add Gatoraid or Crystal light or instant tea when I use it. Kroger has a house brand called Essence-C that is practically identical in content and about 60% the price of Emergen-C. It also tastes lousy but has good nutrition.

couscous
08-03-2010, 21:41
To mix with 16.9oz of water - Propel fit powder packs weigh .2oz, G2 Powder packs weigh .5oz and Gatorade Powder packs weight 1oz .. but all can make a big sticky mess if you spill the powder over your stuff while it's raining.

turtle fast
08-03-2010, 23:00
Normally I use the Crystal light or store brand drink mixes that come in the tubes for 200z bottles. Normally I find that half of a mix per liter is good.
I had just purchased some Fizzies and they work GREAT! It is drink tablets that are like an Alka Seltzer and come in great flavors.

Many Walks
08-03-2010, 23:02
Arizona Tea makes about 4 different flavors packed in individual tubes that work well for hiking. If I use a bladder I like to use the Camelback tablets that have electrolytes and don't leave gunk buildup. My favorite is just simple individual packets of all natural powdered lemon, lime and orange juice from True Lemon. They have no sugars, preservatives, sodium, or gluten. It just gives a nice bit of citrus flavor to the water. If I'm drinking from from a good mountain spring nothing is added as that water can't be beat.

turtle fast
08-03-2010, 23:11
I almost forgot to say Fizzies comes in Blue Raspberry, Fruit Punch, Lemon Lime, Orange, Root Beer, and Sour Apple. The Orange was good and not sweet with some fizziness and refreshing. Suffice to say I am adding it to my pack supplies.

Wise Old Owl
08-03-2010, 23:45
Prior to 2008 I posted how to make your favorite from scratch, The thread has dropped off the end of the earth... So from what I remember take a caffiene pill and crush it in a morter and pestle. The other is a pill of potasium, if its 90 mg devide it in half, there is something about too much potasium. mix & cover the parts with fruit and dry mixes.

jrwiesz
08-04-2010, 00:57
Powdered Country Time Lemonaide works, those little single packets of Kool-aid work also.:sun

schnikel
08-04-2010, 08:15
I have found that most of the packets like gatorade, Country Time, G2, all taste way to sweat and sugary for my taste even when added to 1 liter of water. The best I have found was Propel which is lighter on the taste buds than the others IMO. My favorite flavor is the berry.
Schnikel

dscostu
08-04-2010, 08:48
I love the nuun cola. The other coices are good too...they are just kind of mellow. I feel cola is the best choice. It is the next best thing to having a coke or pepsi with you. Also it doesn't have all the crap that Gatorade and the others mentioned have...no HFCS. amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Nuun-Hydration-Tablets-Tube-Cola/dp/B001RMYBHS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1280926031&sr=8-3) has them pretty cheap. Enjoy!

sly dog
08-04-2010, 09:47
I usually use the vitamin propel packs but I do take a treat like kool aid packets too. I only take one or two of the kool aid ones cuz they are a lot bulkier than the propel with all that sugar in them but on a hot day they are awsome little treat and have a lotta flavor compared to the smaller type propel or that kind of mix.

dcmidnight
08-04-2010, 09:56
I'll occasionally throw a couple of packets of Amino Vital in there.

Rocket Jones
08-04-2010, 11:40
Cheap scotch. Good scotch should never be watered.

Farr Away
08-04-2010, 12:01
An herbal tea bag in your water bottle. Each bag will flavor a lot of water, so you can refill the bottle multiple times. I especially like Celestial Seasonings' Tension Tamer - it's mint with a couple of B-vitamins.

Migrating Bird
08-04-2010, 17:33
I liked the little packets of Ocean Spray Cran-Grape and little packets of pink lemonade, lightweight easy to use packets.

JAK
08-04-2010, 22:37
It doesn't take much to add a little flavour. Yellow birch adds wintergreen. A few spruce needles add some zip. Experiment.

Freedom Walker
08-05-2010, 18:25
I have never tried this, Vitalyte Electrolyte Drink (http://www.vitalyte.com/), but a friend highly reccomended it. Anybody else use it?

kanga
08-05-2010, 19:32
Does anyone have any good suggestions for something to add to water to spice it up and take the drudgery out of drinking the same thing for a week? I've heard some people dump a little Kool Aid mix in, or some Emergen-C. Has anyone tried these? Any other recommendations?

I have found that most of the packets like gatorade, Country Time, G2, all taste way to sweat and sugary for my taste even when added to 1 liter of water. The best I have found was Propel which is lighter on the taste buds than the others IMO. My favorite flavor is the berry.
Schnikel

y'all should really try the nuun in tri-berry. It's the only flavor I like. They're Gatorade or propel or any electrolyte drink but without the sugar.

An herbal tea bag in your water bottle. Each bag will flavor a lot of water, so you can refill the bottle multiple times. I especially like Celestial Seasonings' Tension Tamer - it's mint with a couple of B-vitamins.

I use the celestial sometimes too. Pomegranate!

daddytwosticks
08-06-2010, 07:39
Agree with the NUUN in tri-berry. I didn't like it at first since it had an "interesting" flavor. It grew on me! I swear this stuff rejuvinates me better than any other water additive. May need to try the cola. :)

Bianchi Veloce
08-06-2010, 08:31
Singles To Go, Hawaiian Punch, Berry Limeade Blast flavor, two singles per liter of water in my used Gatorade bottles. $1 a box (contains eight singles) at Wal-Mart. Light weight, tasty, and cost efficient.

gunner76
08-07-2010, 18:32
I use the store brands of lemonaide in the straws, no measuring. I use one straw in my one liter water bottle.

One of the worse flavors I have tried is the Apple Juice, it was so bad I took two sips (the second sip was to confirm the first) and then threw it away.

My wife likes the tea flavors and I find the berry flavors ok buy keep going back to the lemonaide.

dmax
08-07-2010, 20:07
I sometimes use Jolly Rancher candies. There is many flavors to choose from.
I also use the Kool Aid singles and a few of the energy powders.

BigHodag
08-08-2010, 11:52
Having spent time in Desert Shield drinking 8 bottles of water daily, I know where you're coming from. To this day I have a hard time downing straight water.

I recommend you go with Propel. You'll be sweating and drinking water a lot and your electrolytes can easily get out of balance. You need to plan for that. I initially went with lemonade mix for one quart with lunch and tea bags during the day. That worked until muscles started cramping. Best advice a thru-hiker ever gave me was to use Propel diluted at one tube per quart versus the instruction's one tube per pint (soda bottle). Then take three gulps every 20 minutes. [Thank you, Josey Wales]

BTW, if you add anything to your water, take time once a day to rinse and clean your bottle cap and the screw top. A lot of funk builds up over just a week or two.

kayak karl
08-08-2010, 12:30
BTW, if you add anything to your water, take time once a day to rinse and clean your bottle cap and the screw top. A lot of funk builds up over just a week or two.
good point, i checked my threads one time and they were black. i scrub them with my tooth brush.

jhensley
11-21-2010, 13:59
Kroger has some self branded single serve water flavoring packets that I love and they have a significant variety of flavor selection as well.

HiKen2011
11-21-2010, 14:32
I love propel, different flavors.

Dogwood
11-21-2010, 20:45
I have never thought of drinking clean clear spring, mountain lake, or stream water as a drudgery! In fact, I VERY MUCH ENJOY AND PREFER drinking natural sources of clean trail water than the contaminated chlorine and fluride laced water claimed to be so safe spilling from the household tap! I've been consuming clean sources of trail water for so long that, to me, most tap water tastes like it came from a chlorine laced public swimming pool or the water treatment plant! Clean water consumed from the wilderness/trail is one of the outstanding attributes of trail life I enjoy!

RETRAIN YOUR TASTEBUDS!