PDA

View Full Version : Silk liners really warmer?

sierraDoug
11-15-2004, 03:19
I've read a bunch of posts saying silk liners add anywhere from 3 to 10 degrees to a sleeping bag's low end comfort level. Seems like a widely varying amount. What do you all base this on (those who make these claims)? How thick and heavy is the liner you use? I'm wondering if I should even consider getting one.

TakeABreak
11-15-2004, 03:49
Doug, Like everything the true answer in on whether or not to get or use a silk liner is different for everyone. I carried one the first 200 miles of the A.T. and my start date 2/12/00. I never used it, as a mater of fact I loaned it out to others almost every night. I found that I was warm enough without one. What I would ask is what time of year are going to start and what of sleeping are you going to use and do you (as an individual) sleep better when it is cool out or warm out.

I am a warm sleeper and sleep better when it is cool out.

Second, a silk liner usually gives about a 10 or 15 degree improvement from everything I have read, the one I bought from Campmor was in this range. I tried mine before my hike by stripping down to my skivies, climbed into my liner on a cool evening while watching tv on the couch watching. I noticed while in the liner I was comfortable, when I was out, and laid there I got a chill.

But like I said originally it reaaly depends on a lot of variables on whether or not you as an individual need a silk liner.

NICKTHEGREEK
11-15-2004, 08:12
I've used a silk liner with a down bag for several years and in addition to adding warmth it helps keep the inside of the bag clean. I think for a through hike, that would be a major plus. Anyone who has spent the better part of a day laundering and drying a down bag will appreciate a liner. A silk liner also makes for a decent bag by itself in the summer when the lows are still in the 70's.

Rain Man
11-15-2004, 11:33
May I butt in to ask a second question. How do you attach your silk liner to your sleeping bag?

Or, if you don't, then don't you get all twisted up in it as you toss and turn at night?

I have an old down bag, with a matching (same manufacturer) silk liner, with snaps all around it. Works great.

But I have not noticed how retro-fit silk liners sold separately attach to a sleeping bag.

Rain Man

bigcat2
11-15-2004, 11:40
In response to how the silk liners attach, they usually don't. I bought a Jag Bag this year for my section hike through GA. I used it as a bag itself and it was plenty warm enough. As has been stated before, it does help keep the inside of your sleeping bag cleaner and the liners are a lot easier to clean than your bag. I'm not sure what type of sleeper you are, but I have had no problems w/ my liner bunching up on me. The only thing I am not totally satisfied w/ is that the liner has no zips and you have to get into it from the top end and pull it up, but that is more of an inconvienience rather than a major problem. Just thought I would put my 2 cents in.

Youngblood
11-15-2004, 12:00
In response to how the silk liners attach, they usually don't. I bought a Jag Bag this year for my section hike through GA. I used it as a bag itself and it was plenty warm enough. As has been stated before, it does help keep the inside of your sleeping bag cleaner and the liners are a lot easier to clean than your bag. I'm not sure what type of sleeper you are, but I have had no problems w/ my liner bunching up on me. The only thing I am not totally satisfied w/ is that the liner has no zips and you have to get into it from the top end and pull it up, but that is more of an inconvienience rather than a major problem. Just thought I would put my 2 cents in.

That's why I started using silk long johns. I like them, guessing they add about 5 degrees or more warmth. Comfy, dual purpose, light weight and the wind doesn't go through them like it did with my polypro long johns on those night time nature calls. But, they are stretch fitting and can develop 'runs'... so if you are fashion conscious they may not be for you. The stretch fit and slipperyness with nylon is a plus when you are using them under clothing on those frosty mornings.

Youngblood

Footslogger
11-15-2004, 16:35
I started out carrying one last year on my thru. After a while I sent it home. Didn't really notice the difference and got tired of grappling with it inside my sleeping bag. Know of other hikers who used and liked them so I think it's a personal thing.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Alligator
11-15-2004, 16:47
May I butt in to ask a second question. How do you attach your silk liner to your sleeping bag?

Or, if you don't, then don't you get all twisted up in it as you toss and turn at night?

Campmor sells blanket pins, which look like BIG safety pins. I never got around to buying them for my non-silk liner, which was always twisting up as I roll around in my sleep. I have since bulked up my warm clothing, so I no longer use the liner. Youngblood's suggestion might be the better option IMO.

A-Train
11-15-2004, 16:53
I used one from JagBags.com on my thru-hike. I really like it. I forget exactly when I sent it home, but not till sometime in Virginia. It was good for keeping my bag clean, though it did get pretty smelly, especially on the nights I was warm and sweaty in my bag. Its only an extra 4 ounces or so, so I thought it was worth it. Better than taking a chance on being cold, though I tend to sleep colder than most folks. That and the fact that we had a cold and rainy spring in 03' it was nice to have. And Hey, if the weather happens to get really warm, you can always just sleep in the liner. It works really well with a summer bag, a lot of options there

Alligator
11-15-2004, 17:37
Youngblood got me interested on this one. Some rough numbers, a set of men' silk longjohns, 6.8oz at Campmor. A coccoon silk liner at REI, 4.7 oz.

Hmmm...
I'll definitely switch out my polypro longjohn's in the future.

TakeABreak
11-15-2004, 23:27
Not being able to get in and out of the liner easily was another problem I also had with it, as someone stated above. Granted they do help to keep the bag from getting raunchy as quickly as without. I think the silk long johns are a good alternative and I will definitely try them on my next major.