PDA

View Full Version : Smoky's: Alum Cave Trail to Mt. LeConte

Lone Wolf
11-15-2004, 10:09
How tough/easy/steep/scenic is this trail to LeConte? Probably gonna hike it Wednesday.

The Solemates
11-15-2004, 10:36
Not that tough, but definitely steep in places. The falls makes it very scenic. You may even see llamas, so that would be more scenic. I really like the Boulevard route off the AT as well, perhaps even better. There is a shelter up top, as well as a nice lodge where you can stop to have a chat with the patrons and caretaker.

Groucho
11-15-2004, 10:47
How tough/easy/steep/scenic is this trail to LeConte? Probably gonna hike it Wednesday.

I went so many years ago that I don't remember much about it except that it was enjoyable, but a tough hike. All of my 3 trips to Le Conte were fogged-in at the top. You should have better luck. Alum Bluffs is spectacular.

HIKE DESCRIPTION (http://www.gsmnp.com/pages/alum_cave.html)

jbarnes
11-15-2004, 10:58
I hiked this trail down from Mt. LeConte this past September. I went up the Blvd trail. I didn't care for the Blvd trail but then again we were socked in by clouds the entire time on the hike up. The views from Alum Cave Trail were very good. We have a perfectly clear day coming down. I couldn't really say how tough going up on the Alum Cave Trail would be but that's the way I'm going next year when I hike up to the lodge for an overnight stay. For the 1st 2-3 miles I would say the Alum Cave Trail is a moderate hike. After that it's steep and very steep in some sections.

Rain Man
11-15-2004, 11:15
... You may even see llamas, so that would be more scenic. ....

Llamas on the Alum Cave Trail to LeConte? I have met the llama train on the Trillium Gap Trail, and was told that was the only trail used by the llama train.

Then again, I've not yet done the Alum Cave Trail, which I'm told is the shortest, and therefore the steepest, trail up LeConte.

:sun
Rain Man

Lone Wolf
11-15-2004, 11:48
Thanks for the replies. I'll let y'all know how it went when I get back.

The Solemates
11-15-2004, 13:11
Llamas on the Alum Cave Trail to LeConte? I have met the llama train on the Trillium Gap Trail, and was told that was the only trail used by the llama train.

Maybe it is. Sometimes I get my trails confused.

TakeABreak
11-16-2004, 00:03
L Wolf, it is a nice hike up there and nice view once you get there. One suggestion though, at this time of year you may run into some icy spots. I have done some day in the smokies in the winter and found using my pole and carrying a set of 4 point crampons really came in handy. they are easy to put on and take off and really don't weight much. They helped me more than once going out to charlie's bunyon and back. Just a thought.

Uncle Wayne
11-16-2004, 04:24

My wife and I hiked this trail the last week in March 2004 and recommend it. Very scenic, steep in places but the shortest trail to Mt. LeConte.
Here's a web site that has info on certain landmarks to look for as you hike the Alum Cave Trail. It made the hike a little more interesting for us.

http://www.mtleconte.com/acblocations.html

Be sure and continue on another 3/4 mile or so to Myrtle Point for the outstanding view point. Repeat has some photos on his visit there in his photo gallery.

Jaybird
11-16-2004, 06:37
LeConte is steep but not too bad....in the winter..i actually took a wrong turn off the A.T. & wound up on Mt. LeConte. (while hiking several trails in the Smokies)

i saw "Papa Smurf" (class of '02) yday...he said he had almost done the same while hiking in snow & sleet last spring. :D

9 Mules
11-16-2004, 08:17
Consider looping up Rainbow Falls and down BullHead, you'd avoid the crowds and the view is great.