PDA

View Full Version : Lots of questions

CatchUp
08-04-2010, 09:42
I am not sure if this is the right place to be posting this - so don't mind me.

I have a lot of questions, and they keep popping up all the time.

I am a newbie, and I was wondering how one goes about finding a hiking partner or group? How it is that you can feel safe with them? What is the etiquette for this?

Also, how long should you practice and how do you train to be able to carry a pack for, say a 3-4 day trip?

Thank you guys for your patience if this is in the wrong place!

couscous
08-04-2010, 09:48
You might visit a local hiking club - http://www.nynjtc.org/content/member-clubs
They probably have hikes in the Greenbelt Conservancy (http://www.sigreenbelt.org/)
Others can tell you what works for them, but experience helps you determine what works for you.

CatchUp
08-04-2010, 09:52
I have done a lot of the piddly hiking around my area. A lot of it is completely overrun by brambles and poison ivy. From what I have seen of the AT, it's much much nicer.

I will check out the local hikers clubs...thank you!

couscous
08-04-2010, 10:39
Hiking clubs are usually a great way to meet people with similar interests, ask questions, borrow gear and participate in weekend or longer backpacking trips with a small group. I'd enjoy living that close to the AT, but I'm allergic to cities (https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=622&compid=1).
https://www.atctrailstore.org/images/imid622L.jpg

max patch
08-04-2010, 10:59
Check out the your local ATC club (links from appalachiantrail.org) mine (gatc) has a yearly schedule of hikes posted, bulletin board at local outfitter, or meetup.com for local hiking groups.

Best way to "practice" for a 3 day hike is to do a short out and back overnighter. Repeat.

Spokes
08-04-2010, 11:13
I'd suggest honing those "piddly hikes" into a couple of good shakedown hikes. Put together your gear as if you were going to be out for 3-4 days and go test it out. Before long you'll tweak your system.

In the meantime this article (http://www.backpacker.com/november_2008_american_classic_hiking_the_appalach ian_trail/destinations/12530) may be of interest to you.

Good luck.

Tinker
08-04-2010, 11:22
You might want to send a personal message to Sasquatch 2014. He lives in Pawling and probably knows a few other hikers in your area that you could hike with.

Rocket Jones
08-04-2010, 11:34
I believe BirdLegs is from NY too. Check the contact tab on her member page. She posted a pretty good Trail Journal too (also on her contact tab).

Scooby99
08-04-2010, 12:11
I live in Ossining, on the metro north Hudson line, my wife and I head up to Clarence Fahnestock Park and Bear Mtn regularly if you needed a ride to get on the AT.

sly dog
08-04-2010, 12:55
Make it out to one of the hiker gatherings such as the PA ruck. You will meet people and see a varity of gear types and how people pack. Also it can be a lotta fun. See ya out there sometime.

YohonPetro
08-04-2010, 13:10
I use Meetup.com and am part of several hiking and backpacking clubs. Some are more active than others, some charge a $1 fee. I have had great experiences, meet lots of good people, and even got 'promoted' to an organizer in one of the clubs. If there aren't any in a given area, you could probably make one and start scheduling group hikes.
I have never had a bad experience, the car-pools have always been good, and everyone seems really cool (the ones that RSVP 'yes' and actually show up, that is)

CatchUp
08-04-2010, 13:15
Scooby: Cool! Thank you!!!

CatchUp
08-04-2010, 13:16
Yohon: I think I tried this once, but it all seemed kind of surreal. I always worried about creeps on sites like that, and I kind of started to prefer meeting people in person. Maybe I am wrong?

YohonPetro
08-04-2010, 13:24
Yohon: I think I tried this once, but it all seemed kind of surreal. I always worried about creeps on sites like that, and I kind of started to prefer meeting people in person. Maybe I am wrong?

I thought that a bit too at first, I brought a friend the first time. But I found no creeps, interestingly. And I even picked up some people for car-pool... though that was probably the oddest part. Once at the trail head with 5 or 10 people the likelihood of creeps would diminish. And once you get to know the people, there are regulars that show up a lot, and you really get to feel comfortable. I drove to Trail Days with the group - that was a really fun trip!

CatchUp
08-04-2010, 13:37
I thought that a bit too at first, I brought a friend the first time. But I found no creeps, interestingly. And I even picked up some people for car-pool... though that was probably the oddest part. Once at the trail head with 5 or 10 people the likelihood of creeps would diminish. And once you get to know the people, there are regulars that show up a lot, and you really get to feel comfortable. I drove to Trail Days with the group - that was a really fun trip!

Well I think you've pretty much convinced me. I'll have to check it out.

First: break in the shoes. I might just end up in my trusty Nikes until then. heh.;)

sbhikes
08-04-2010, 16:51
I curious, if you have very little experience with backpacking, why would you want to tackle such a long trip for your first time? I don't mean that in a disparaging way. I mean, is it kind of like going on a backpack through Europe? You don't really have to practice for that. You just get a bug to do it and go.

Anyway, I would definitetly do some overnighters as practice before going. It's not going to be quite the same as on the trail because you won't have the camaraderie of the other hikers. But you'll at least know how to use your gear and hopefully you'll learn what not to bring so you aren't staggering under a heavy pack. The best training for backpacking is backpacking because there's no exercise in a gym you can do that simulates hiking up hill on rocks in the heat with a backpack on.

Also, I'd recommend doing as much urban hiking as you possibly can. Load up your laundry and hike to the laundromat. Do your grocery shopping on foot. Go for long walks on the weekend. I do that to stay in relative shape and it does work so long as I walk almost every day.

CatchUp
08-05-2010, 10:05
I curious, if you have very little experience with backpacking, why would you want to tackle such a long trip for your first time? I don't mean that in a disparaging way. I mean, is it kind of like going on a backpack through Europe? You don't really have to practice for that. You just get a bug to do it and go.

Anyway, I would definitetly do some overnighters as practice before going. It's not going to be quite the same as on the trail because you won't have the camaraderie of the other hikers. But you'll at least know how to use your gear and hopefully you'll learn what not to bring so you aren't staggering under a heavy pack. The best training for backpacking is backpacking because there's no exercise in a gym you can do that simulates hiking up hill on rocks in the heat with a backpack on.

Also, I'd recommend doing as much urban hiking as you possibly can. Load up your laundry and hike to the laundromat. Do your grocery shopping on foot. Go for long walks on the weekend. I do that to stay in relative shape and it does work so long as I walk almost every day.

I have very little backpacking experience, however, I have a lifetime of experience in "avant garde" camping along with day hiking, and a little kayaking. Also, currently I live in NYC, which required TONS of walking (fast and furious), very often with groceries and other heavy items..:)

In any case, your advice is very valid, and I am going to purchase a second hand pack, put a gallon of water in it with some other long day-hike essentials and start practicing and building some strength. :)

Thank you!

Old Grouse
08-05-2010, 10:32
Why wait? Study the schedule for Metro North's Harlem line to the AT station in Pawling. On a nice Saturday morning throw a sandwich & a couple of liters of water in a day pack and catch the train there. Hike a few miles out, eat lunch, and then hike back to the station. You'll have done your first AT miles, simple as that. Betcha you'll be hooked!

beartripper
08-05-2010, 10:44
SBHikes in post 16 said it all, "The best training for Backpacking is Backpacking."

CatchUp
08-05-2010, 11:30
Why wait? Study the schedule for Metro North's Harlem line to the AT station in Pawling. On a nice Saturday morning throw a sandwich & a couple of liters of water in a day pack and catch the train there. Hike a few miles out, eat lunch, and then hike back to the station. You'll have done your first AT miles, simple as that. Betcha you'll be hooked!

I am planning for next Saturday with a good friend...leave early, return late :) I am totally addicted already (only being the the trail 4-5 times) LOVE IT.....