PDA

View Full Version : Winding Stair Gap to Newfound Gap Schedule Review

Daydream Believer
08-04-2010, 10:00
I am trying to plan a section hike for October. I know I need to get this done asap so I can reservations in the GSMNP for shelters so I wanted to put this out for thoughts here on this forum.

I'd start at Winding Stair Gap where I left off in May. I'll only go a few miles to the first shelter and stop and then two full days to NOC. Overnight there, resupply, do laundry, shower and then head to Fontana in three days...resupply again and then the last 3.5 days in the GSMNP. I wish I had the time to go all the way to I40 but I'm not even sure right now that I can add on the Smokies this Fall. I may have to drop back to just WSG to NOC...so it might not matter...but I wanted to ask opinions in the planning stage as much as possible.

I was thinking of basing out of the Hike Inn and using their shuttle services and perhaps leave my car there...not sure on those details yet.

What is the weather like in October up there? I'd guess it can get pretty cold?

Anyway, here is my hopeful itinerary. I'm a late 40's woman...not too out of shape as I am active in my daily life but it will take me a few days to get my legs and feet toughened up. I made the 70 miles from Hogpen to Winding Stair Gap in May without too much trouble. My longest day was 14.4 miles in NC...Standing Indian Shelter to Brig Spring Shelter and I did not use the bypass at Albert mtn. My average speed is about 2 to 2.5 mph unless it's really steep. My hope is that by the time I get to the Smokies I'll toughen up somewhat....but I can bail out early if I get injured or overly sore. I've never hiked up there so I don't know if my plan is overly ambitious or not nor what the actual difficulty of the trail is. I will be solo so I do generally prefer to stay at shelters for company when I can but I can stop elsewhere if need be.

Thanks!

Winding Stair Gap Siler Bald shelter 3.7
Siler Bald Shelter to Cold Spring Shelter 12.1
Cold Spring Shelter to Nantahala Outdoor Ctr 11.5
Nantahala Outdoor Ctr to Sassafras Gap Shelter 6.9
Sassafras Gap Shelter to Brown Fork Gap Shelter 9.1
Brown Fork Gap Shelter to Fontana AT Crossing 11.6
Fontana AT Crossing to Mollies Ridge Shelter 12.4
Mollies Ridge Shelter to Derrick Knob Shelter 11.7
Derrick Knob Shelter to Mt Collins Shelter 13.5
Mt Collins Shelter to New Found Gap 4.5

BobTheBuilder
08-04-2010, 11:13
The whole plan sounds pretty reasonable to me. I have done that section in about those same miles per day, at the same time of year, and have used Jeff and Nancy at the Hike Inn for lodging and shuttle as well. A couple of notes - camping on top of Cheoah Bald is only a little further than the shelter and the sunset is very nice; don't leave your pack at the base of the side trail to the Shuckstack fire tower, as bears are rumored to watch for such abandoned packs; and check right before you leave to make sure none of the shelters you reserved in the Smokies are temporarily closed. If you hike the Smokies solo, expect to see some bears. I saw five between Fontana and Newfound Gap and it is the highlight of the hike.

daddytwosticks
08-04-2010, 16:05
With regards to the weather (not in the Smokys)...when are you going? Early October can still be warmish. Late October (last 10 days) will definitely be cooler days and frosty nights. :)

Daydream Believer
08-04-2010, 16:12
Thanks Bob! I love hiking solo. I saw some bears on Standing Indian Mtn also going solo...no worries as long as they run away! ;-) I appreciate the schedule review also and the tip on camping at Cheoah Bald. I just might do that!

daddytwosticks...I'm thinking mid October right now...maybe 2nd week to 3rd week but I'm honestly not sure. I don't mind nippy or frosty at night but I do not care to hike in snow or ice or bitter cold if I can help it. We did Blood Mtn in December and I nearly froze to death with 50 mph winds and 20 F. ;-)

What is November like up there? Getting pretty cold? I might find it easier on my personal schedule to do WSG to Fontana in one trip and make a second trip for the Smokies in early November.

springerfever
08-04-2010, 17:49
Sounds like a great hike.....beautiful country!

I would plan on taking a 20/25• bag and an extra layer in case a cold front pushes thru.

Good advice on the Shuckstack tower. Last time I was up there it was pretty shaky , so be careful. Well worth theT climb..spectacular views, especially in the fall.

Have fun!!

Kerosene
08-05-2010, 14:09
Remember that the later in the year you hike, the less daylight you have to cover your target mileage. In mid-October you'll have 11 hours and 38 minutes, while in mid-November you'll only have 10 hours and 20 minutes. While it it certainly possible to hike with a headlamp, you'll have to setup camp in the dark as the temperature plummets.

cevans
08-05-2010, 21:11
Last Year, Oct. 16, it snowed about 4 inches at Newfound gap, and 6 inches at Clingman's Dome, and all over the smokies from about 3500' up..Super beautiful, but watch the weather. They closed road down and gated it shut at Clingman's, and shut 441 down that Sat. Nite thru 10:30am Sunday morning as well..