PDA

View Full Version : Organizing Group Thru-Hikes

DapperD
08-04-2010, 10:29
I was reading here at Whiteblaze where a 2010 "Circle Expedition" was undertaken with a group of individuals organized to hike the AT together. I was wondering why not have organized thru-hikes every year where a date to start can be chosen and people can all start their hikes together? Say everyone can meet up at Amicalola Falls or Baxter State Park and begin. Seems this would help in getting people to attempt a thru-hike if other's were there for support, especially at least when starting out, even if everyone doesn't stay together. What do other's think?

Tinker
08-04-2010, 10:39
Warren Doyle has done (coordinated) a number of them in the past. I can only imagine that it must be a logistical nightmare.
There are informal "partnerships" which form and fall apart as hikers proceed north or south. Most prospective thruhikers prefer to hike alone or in small, intimate groups.

Slo-go'en
08-04-2010, 10:40
If you start out late March, early April, all kinds of other hikers starting too. Can't have everyone starting out at the same time anyway - no place to put them all. It has to be spread out at least a little.

Tinker
08-04-2010, 10:54
Right. Could you imagine a group of 12 all hiking together (would have to be slowly to all stay together) pulling into a shelter at dusk, all wanting a bunk space? From what I've seen of the camping opportunities near the shelters, in most cases there wouldn't be enough tent space for all those folks (plus the individual hikers on the trail), even if they slept two to a tent.
Fuhgeddaboudit on weekends in popular areas!!!!!!!

max patch
08-04-2010, 11:06
No offense, but that would be just about the worse way to experience a thru that I can imagine. The only thing worse would be one of Mr. Doyles "expeditions" where you hike at a predetermined schedule and get to camp at all the scenic road crossings.

Tinker
08-04-2010, 11:11
No offense, but that would be just about the worse way to experience a thru that I can imagine. The only thing worse would be one of Mr. Doyles "expeditions" where you hike at a predetermined schedule and get to camp at all the scenic road crossings.

I just had a mind picture of a modern "Trail of Tears" ;).
I'm aware of what the historical Trail of Tears was, and don't wish to diminish the tragedy which was forced upon the native peoples.

DapperD
08-04-2010, 16:17
No offense, but that would be just about the worse way to experience a thru that I can imagine. The only thing worse would be one of Mr. Doyles "expeditions" where you hike at a predetermined schedule and get to camp at all the scenic road crossings.I don't know anything about Warren Doyle's "expeditions", all I was saying is maybe having people organize starting out together, say a specific date to simply be able to meet up, start out together, and give each other encouragement, something that could benefit each hiker during the initial stages of the hike. Also, huge groups were not what I had in mind. The glass can be half full occasionally instead of half empty:rolleyes:.

Mags
08-04-2010, 17:40
I don't know anything about Warren Doyle's "expeditions", all I was saying is maybe having people organize starting out together, say a specific date to simply be able to meet up, start out together, and give each other encouragement, something that could benefit each hiker during the initial stages of the hike..

http://www.siechert.org/adz/

Different trail..perhaps the same idea?

Probably not as workable for the AT, however. (Huge amount of people at start).

max patch
08-04-2010, 20:30
Start out on a weekend during the prime thru season and you'll have more help and support than you'll know what to do with.

warren doyle
08-05-2010, 07:45
This is my eighth, and probably my last, AT circle expedition. It is a great group and I hope that we will have an unbroken circle atop Katahdin a month from now.
It will be the end of a 35-year era of long distance hiking history.
When I return from the trail to start the Appalachian Trail Folk School in September, I will be open to advising people on how to organize a group thru-hike (but only face-to-face).

northernstorm
09-06-2010, 01:53
i think its a great idea, however i personally wouldnt want the group to be larger than 4 maybe 5 folks. if there are 4 or 5 folks out there thru-ing in 2011 on or around march 5th NOBO, count me in mates!

:banana

The Weasel
09-06-2010, 03:21
How anomalous to find a way to 'be alone' in the woods, with a huge group.

TW

peakbagger
09-06-2010, 06:39
My hats off to Mr Doyle for pulling it off over the years.

Based on the hassle I have trying to get a group of dayhikers together, I suspect that trying to orgainize a group to do a long distance AT hike makes "herding cats" a real easy task :).

4eyedbuzzard
09-06-2010, 08:44
. . . I was wondering why not have organized thru-hikes every year where a date to start can be chosen and people can all start their hikes together? Say everyone can meet up at Amicalola Falls or Baxter State Park and begin. Seems this would help in getting people to attempt a thru-hike if other's were there for support, especially at least when starting out, even if everyone doesn't stay together. What do other's think?
In 2009 some 1500 hikers made NOBO thru-hike attempts according to ATC. Figure 90% or so started between March 1 and April 30 (give or take). That's an average of 1500 x .9 / 60 days = 22+ hikers per day starting out from Springer. Some days will be more, some less, but that's a lot of hikers on the trail and at shelters / camp areas all at once. Plenty of opportunity for companionship and support from other hikers if that's what one's looking for.

DapperD
09-06-2010, 12:43
In 2009 some 1500 hikers made NOBO thru-hike attempts according to ATC. Figure 90% or so started between March 1 and April 30 (give or take). That's an average of 1500 x .9 / 60 days = 22+ hikers per day starting out from Springer. Some days will be more, some less, but that's a lot of hikers on the trail and at shelters / camp areas all at once. Plenty of opportunity for companionship and support from other hikers if that's what one's looking for.I think a lot of my original thread when it was posted was not really clarified properly on my part and/or misconstrued. I think what I was really trying to say is I thought it would be good to have people communicate with and exchange knowledge between other thru-hike hopefuls (people planning similar start dates and times) and possibly making an attempt at starting out together (after getting to know other's better through online communication, say using this sight or through private PM's and/or e-mail). Then possibly narrowing it down further by maybe even having those who wanted to and who lived within a close proximity of one another to possibly make travel arrangements to head on down to Springer Mountain or up to Mt. Katahdin together, and start out. I guess I just thought it would be good to get people to know a little about one another first, and possibly help encourage each other. I know other's have a facebook or something similar which helps prospective thru-hikers get to know and communicate a little about themselves before the new season begins. I understand that many hikers begin their journeys between the peek months of March and April Northbound, and that the trail in the South is crowded during that time of the year:-?.

sbhikes
09-07-2010, 12:26
I think people already do that. There is a forum here for people looking for hiking partners.

Grampie
09-08-2010, 10:51
White Blaze always has a post for those who are hiking in the up-comming year. Just join in. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to get a group together to meet at Springer on a pre set date and start together..

hodaka trail
09-08-2010, 16:04
hello every one i.m looking to take a through hike from g to m in march of 2012 i no it a long way off but i would like to see if any body is interested and get to know some people maybe agroup of three to five i live in pa . thanks p.s. you have to get started somewhere

Hiker8261
09-08-2010, 16:53
A bunch of people getting together to hike and calling themselves an expedition is one thing. Once you start having someone organizing, scheduling, arranging food or lodging etc, they are a guide and are leading a group. There are rules for groups and regulations for guides to follow.
Twice during my thru hike I arrived at a shelter and was told by the two or three occupants that there was no space because others from a group were going to arrive soon. I rarely slept in the shelters anyway but I think every organized group that went out would lead to more and more trail conflict.

chris

rambunny
09-09-2010, 21:45
That's called northbound.

WILLIAM HAYES
09-10-2010, 19:18
just completed the 100 mile wilderness in Maine and met Warren on the trail several times -one of his circle of 12 told me at ABOL on sept 2 they started may 1 - they were all strong hikers and have finished
hillbilly

julia123xyz
10-16-2010, 21:55
Hi William, I'm planning on spending the whole month of August next year up in Maine, hiking The 100 Mile wilderness and the 100 miles or so leading up to it. What are the conditions up there that time of year?

WILLIAM HAYES
10-17-2010, 17:34
julia just saw your question check you email sent you a reply

Bill

warren doyle
10-19-2010, 23:47
The 2010 AT Circle Expedition only stayed in two shelters (i.e., in the Smokies) during our entire 127-day traverse. We usually camped at road crossings where our support van was.