PDA

View Full Version : North Dakota

thecramers
08-04-2010, 15:04
Are there any past/present/future ND AT thru-hikers here? Having someone who's experianced the trail from a state that has no real mountains would be great.

Jeff
08-05-2010, 12:25
Flatlander is hiking this season (2010). He has a Trail Journal with contact info here:

http://www.trailjournals.com/about.cfm?trailname=9737

SonrisaJo
08-08-2010, 15:13
Yay North Dakota! I'm Minnesotan but spent a big chunk of my life in Fargo. The North Country Trail in ND doesn't really do much in the way of preparation for the AT, but then not much does. I found that when I started hiking through fields (they started in Vermont; I'm SOBO) I felt more at home. Many many people go out to the trail without experience in a certain area - camping, cooking outside, mountains, whatever. It's a learning experience, but that's half the fun. :)
If you can make the trip to the other side of Minnesota, the Superior Hiking Trail or Border Route Trail on the north shore are the closest to AT terrain that you can find for a long distance. There are no dramatic climbs on the SHT, but there are a dramatic number of climbs, and it makes for a really nice 2 - 3 week hike.

Tilly
08-08-2010, 15:27
If you've never been hiking before, I suggest you go out for a few weekends in order to get some experience. If you want to work out, just do something you like (biking, walking, lifting weights, whatever.)

I hiked the AT with zero preparation, since I had no way to prepare outside since most of Indiana is about as flat as ND, with zero injuries, only mild soreness on occasion.

The big thing is to remember to GO SLOW WHEN FIRST STARTING OUT. Hike 8-10 miles a day for the first few days. Pace yourself and take a lot of breaks. If you're tired or sore the first 5-7 days, go ahead and take a zero. The miles will come later.

If you are in ND I really recommend the Superior Hiking Trail in Minnesota. It is absolutely beautiful, a fantastic trail that anyone who like to hike would love, with lots of different scenery and features, nice campsites, and a true wilderness setting. Plus two great towns to go to, Duluth and Grand Marais. Check it out. It should be over 300 miles by now, too.

Good luck.

tiptoe
08-08-2010, 20:50
I met a thru named Bismarck near the C&O Canal last month.