PDA

View Full Version : How would you improve management of public lands?

Bucherm
08-04-2010, 18:18
The Guv'ment has a website dedicated for the citizenry to propose ideas on how to improve public lands in the United States. Over here (http://ideas.usda.gov/ago/ideas.nsf/ProductMostRecent?openview&Start=1&Count=20).

While there are some good ideas being listed, there are some real mouthbreather ones as well (only allow ATVs on trails in the backcountry) and stuff that is otherwise just general in nature("treat the environment better"). What ideas do you like? Don't you like?

Luddite
08-04-2010, 18:45
Ban the sale and use of all Trekking Poles - Thats a bit extreme.

Ban rule-breaking Hikers from all National and State Parks - Not a bad idea, maybe a 3 strike rule for more serious offenses like poaching.

Forbid firearms in National parks & monuments - I like that idea but I know alot of people don't.

gas guzzling recreation should be discouraged. Please no more public lands given over to ORV (or OHV use) American, get out and walk, for heaven's sake. Have these people ever heard about lowering our carbon footprint? Are we going to have a future or not? How stupid would it be to add more ORV capacity???? - Good idea IMO.

Allow mushroom picking for personal use on most public lands. - Bad idea.

Great site. I already registered.

couscous
08-04-2010, 19:48
Allow mushroom picking for personal use on most public lands. - Bad idea.

No, good idea. Mmmmmmmm :D
http://www.twchikers.com/mta/mushrooms.jpg

Luddite
08-04-2010, 19:56
Actually I didn't see that it said "on most public lands". I thought it said in nation parks and monuments. It should still be regulated, though.

Luddite
08-04-2010, 19:57
No, good idea. Mmmmmmmm :D
http://www.twchikers.com/mta/mushrooms.jpg

Those look like sea sponges and are those bananas in the middle? :-?

SweetAss03
08-04-2010, 20:07
Oh those look so good. Just like picking steak off the ground. Gotta freezer full of them this year!

couscous
08-04-2010, 21:03
Gotta freezer full of them this year!

Freezer full! :eek: Well that backfired. :( I was hoping to get some others hungry for mushrooms but the thought of a freezer full ... mind is drifting to a frying pan with butter .. frying up morel mushrooms.
Need some help freeing up space in your freezer? :banana

JAK
08-04-2010, 22:29
Education shouldn't be indoors so much. More field trips. Public lands should be used for education purposes, to teach kids about natural habitats and environments. It shouldn't be limited to scouting and summer camp activities. Field trips to public lands should be an integral part of the public education system. Maybe get some work out of the kids while they are there also, at least the older kids, picking up garbage, cleaning up trails and campsites, and maybe taking samples for b

JAK
08-04-2010, 22:30
biological studies or whatever.

Bucherm
08-04-2010, 22:36
Education shouldn't be indoors so much. More field trips. Public lands should be used for education purposes, to teach kids about natural habitats and environments. It shouldn't be limited to scouting and summer camp activities. Field trips to public lands should be an integral part of the public education system. Maybe get some work out of the kids while they are there also, at least the older kids, picking up garbage, cleaning up trails and campsites, and maybe taking samples for b

A lot of High Schools now mandate some kind of civic service for graduation(I comped it with my Eagle Scout project). It's tempting to translate that to "have them pick up trash on trails during the summer", but for some reason the idea of forcing several dozen million kids out into the woods when they don't want to be there stricks me as a potential for a high-impact disaster.

JAK
08-04-2010, 22:40
Well, we teach math and reading and writing whether they want it or not, so why not environmental studies? Either we educate them, or we leave it to the ATV salesman.

JAK
08-04-2010, 22:41
I say brainwash early and brainwash often.

Bucherm
08-04-2010, 22:49
Well, we teach math and reading and writing whether they want it or not, so why not environmental studies? Either we educate them, or we leave it to the ATV salesman.

I'm not saying don't teach them enviromental studies, just pointing out that sending several (additional) million teenagers swarming over the mountains may end up being detrimental to the enviroment.

Mind you, this is NOT an argument against Boy Scouts, programs to rescue disadvantaged youth through wilderness programs...just an argument against opening the proverbial floodgates. I think the vast majority of American youth aren't of the crowd that would go out and buy(and use) ATVs anyway. Gets in the way of XBOX.

JAK
08-04-2010, 23:00
Well I think kids need to be put in the woods even more than we do, whether they want to or not. But that's just me. If there are not enough trails, build more trails. If there is not enough public lands, make more public lands. If there are too many people, make less people. Keeping people cooped up in cities will not work. The cities will eventually take over, and destroy natural habitats one way or another. We have to get the kids out there and make citizens of them, or we are doomed. We are anyways, but what the heck, give it a shot.

JAK
08-04-2010, 23:05
I love the while Norse Mythology thing, where all the heros go and drink mead and eat meat until its time to fight the final battle, and lose. It's the way it is, and the way it should be, when you think about it. More and more I feel like the way the native people must feel and have felt, as the invaders kept coming. Europeans went through the same thing themselves of course. Its the same the world over. How do you stop it?

If you can't beat them, keep trying.

Bucherm
08-04-2010, 23:20
How do you stop it?

Space colonies.

(I'm serious.)

bloodmountainman
08-05-2010, 06:00
I don't believe this government will take ANY advice from the public "peons".
These decisions are best left to the elite class. They haven't listened to the public on any issue so far.

Bucherm
08-05-2010, 06:12

You mean like the last one, and the one before?

These decisions are best left to the elite class. They haven't listened to the public on any issue so far.

Yeah, frankly I'm not seeing the real problem with the "elite" being the ones making decisions. Our politicians should be better and "more elite" than the general population.

So, do you have anything to offer towards the website that the elitist-ignoring-the-public administration put up? Or did you just decide to bring your politics into this thread just for the hell of it?

Fiddleback
08-05-2010, 09:38
Meanwhile...back at the OP (wow!...did I really write that...?;))...

To help our public lands, provide more funding for follow-up and enforcement of those protections and regulations that already exist. Attack poaching, penalize motorized vehicles in prohibited areas, stop the speeders in Yellowstone...

And ensure that the penalties truly penalize. Those that have been caught poaching or running snow mobiles off-road in YNP have been fined pittances.

FB

full conditions
08-05-2010, 09:44
Is 'elete' a bad thing? I always thought it was a good thing - something to aspire toward. I want to be operated on by elete sugeons. I want my auto mechanic to be one of the eletes of his profession. The best thing about the 'elete' status is that anyone with the talent and gumption can achieve it.

Pedaling Fool
08-05-2010, 09:46
This is such an open-ended question and forum (link the OP provided) that it's useless. How you manage land depends on the type of land, so to ask such a general question as to how to best manage public lands is just more political trickery.

Do you'll really believe someone (who has any real power) is reading the replies to this website. It's like reading the remarks at the end of a newspaper article...idiotic and complete waste of time.

No wonder why the "elite" doesn't take the general public too seriously.

sbhikes
08-05-2010, 13:16
I think we should get more kids out into the wilderness. Especially kids who have never been. I also think all teachers should confiscate cellphones at the classroom door (maybe bosses should do this too to anyone under age 25). It's really quite shocking to me the level of ignorance and fear about the out-of-doors. I meet so many people whose first reaction to being in anything even remotely resembling wilderness is fear. That people believe a world of industrial machinery and computer screens is more real and safe than the nature that sustains us all is the deep root of many problems facing our public lands and the whole earth, too.

flemdawg1
08-05-2010, 13:48
Always take the time to voice your learned opinion to the Gov't whether your party of choice is in power or not.

full conditions
08-05-2010, 13:51
I think we should get more kids out into the wilderness. Especially kids who have never been. I also think all teachers should confiscate cellphones at the classroom door (maybe bosses should do this too to anyone under age 25). It's really quite shocking to me the level of ignorance and fear about the out-of-doors. I meet so many people whose first reaction to being in anything even remotely resembling wilderness is fear. That people believe a world of industrial machinery and computer screens is more real and safe than the nature that sustains us all is the deep root of many problems facing our public lands and the whole earth, too.
May I humbly recommend "Last Child in the Woods" by Richard Louv - it's the standard text covering "nature derangement syndrome" - primarily in children but adults as well - interesting and distressing read.

sbhikes
08-05-2010, 13:53
It's been recommended to me a number of times. I should go to the library and check it out.