PDA

View Full Version : High Top Hut

kncats
11-15-2004, 14:36
Stayed here the night of 11/12/2004. Another in a string of basic, three sided shelters courtesy of Shenandoah National Park and the PATC. Great location, it's located pretty far away from Skyline Drive so no traffic noise. Mice were still active on a cold night in November, but they seemed pretty lazy. Went for the easy stuff but didn't try for food bags that were hung from nails. Spring was running very strong, located about 100 yards down a side trail from the shelter. 8 "designated" campsites. Inside of shelter was freshly painted and smelled it.

Cookerhiker
02-24-2006, 13:58
Just returned home after spending last night there. Howling winds all night but inside shelter was sufficiently protected. What's nice about winter on sunny days is the exposure as the sun moves across the landscape bathing and warming the inside of the shelter. In another few weeks, I suspect the sun will be higher and not shine in the shelter.

jlb2012
07-10-2007, 12:00
stopped by the hut this weekend - fireplace has been rehabed and looks good - carpenter ants are still chewing on the hut itself however - the poison that was placed around the hut to control the ants has washed away except for a few spots inside

jlb2012
08-12-2007, 15:01
dropped off a temporary register to fill in until PATC replaces the official register that is full - for no good reason I also cut up a bit of firewood since I had my saw with me

Cookerhiker
06-05-2008, 09:01
Spent 3 nights here as a base camp (I tented to leave the shelter for the thrus) while weekwacking the trail from here north to Skyline Drive. The spring is absolutely gushing and the deluge we received Tuesday night certainly didn't hurt.

Lemni Skate
10-13-2008, 13:31
Spent the night in late May. Shelter filled up with a lot of people doing section hikes and a lot of South Bounders. Shelter in great shape. Spring was shooting like a fire hose. Privy was in great shape and even had some bathroom reading available. Perfect distance off trail and also a flat walk off of the trail.

Kaptainkriz
09-22-2017, 17:12
Quiet night at the Hut. Spring working well. Huge wasp nest on the AT neat the top of High Top!403664036940370

Furlough
09-22-2017, 17:30
I am pleasantly surprised to see that the nest survived the busy portion of the hiking season. It has been up for quite some time. Wonder if it will survive the leaf peepers?

Kaptainkriz
09-22-2017, 17:44
It's a very cool nest. Hopefully peeper peeps will leave it alone.

I am pleasantly surprised to see that the nest survived the busy portion of the hiking season. It has been up for quite some time. Wonder if it will survive the leaf peepers?

Kaptainkriz
10-01-2017, 07:46
Spring photo seems to have gone wonky in my last post: 40453

Quiet night at the Hut. Spring working well.