PDA

View Full Version : 100 Mile Wilderness ?

SouthMark
08-05-2010, 11:04
Leaving August 17 from Baxter SOBO thru the wilderness. Would like to not have to carry 10 days of food. Would it be practical to plan to resupply at WHL. We are stopping there on 5. I know it will be more expensive and not a varied selection but in the photo on their web site their supplies it appears that I could stock up for 4 or 5 more days ok. What are the thoughts on this. As my wife says, "I eat to live, not live to eat" so basically I am caring the same stuff for the first 4 to 5 days that I could buy at WHL.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

couscous
08-05-2010, 11:31
It's 40.8 miles from Katahdin Stream Campground to Mahar Tote Road so if that's day 5 (8 miles/day) it would be another 8 days to Monson? An 18-year-old had to quit the trail yesterday after falling on slippery rocks (rained a lot on Tuesday) and injuring his knee. Since there was Verizon coverage at the Antlers Campsite (5.8 miles south of Mahar Tote Road), he could call the Appalachian Trail Lodge (http://www.appalachiantraillodge.com/) in Millinocket to pick him up at the Jo-Mary Road.

DavidNH
08-05-2010, 11:34
Hi Southmark,

Some hikers hurry through the 100 miles in 5 days or so but I personally think the area is way to beautiful to do that. 10 days is a good pace.

Regarding White House landing, yes you can re-supply there, even have a night off trail. Keep in mind that you do have to hike a mile on a side trail off the AT plus a short boat ride to get there. accommodations are simple, the food is very good and ample, though not all you can eat. They impose a surcharge if you pay via credit card (at least they did in 06), and expect to pay premium prices on most everything. WHL is not exactly half way, it's more like a couple days from Abol bridge and 5-6 days from Monson. The hiking will get tougher south of white house landing.

Hope that helps.

david

Jeff
08-05-2010, 12:21
You can search on Whiteblaze for all sorts of opinions about Whitehouse Landing....but, it is a good alternative to carrying the 10 days of food you mentioned southbound to Monson !!!!

SouthMark
08-05-2010, 12:36
Thanks for the input. To clarify, day 5 to WHL includes day 1's climb of Katahdin so it is really day 4 of the wilderness. I am planning in 12 days total including the climb of Katahdin. I'm old, slow and wnt to enjoy. I plan on an overnight at WHL. Who knows if we like it we may zero and do a little canoeing, etc. Once again thanks all for the help. I have 10 days of breakfasts, 5 lunches, 5 dinners and snacks in my pack now with weight at 19 lbs 7 oz. and my knees really like that.

kayak karl
08-05-2010, 13:00
there is one other stop. when crossing jo-mary road a logger asked if i wanted to go to jo-mary campground. said they had burgers and lured me in the truck.:) site was $20, but would of been same up to 4. wash and dry too. resturant food was great and some resupply. i let the campers across from me put their 2 boats on my site in trade for a BAR-B-Q. :banana

i left Baxter 8/20/09 mud, no bugs, but mud. lots of mud

call and check about re-supply. i told them what hikers were looking for. they said they would stock up for this year. 207-723-8117
hope you like Spam:)

boarstone
08-05-2010, 13:07
Correction to Jo-Mary campground!! NO MORE STORE or SNACK BAR!
Just camping w/showers and laundry.

BrianLe
08-05-2010, 23:28
Since you can get food at the Abol bridge store, the Katahdin climb isn't relevant to the calculation I would think ...

I was thru-hiking when I went through there (NOBO) late last month, so indeed I was fine going through with 4-1/2 days of food (and I felt like I enjoyed the scenery fine that way FWIW ...). I skipped WHL, but from what I heard it's a reasonable choice so long as you're not on a tight budget. When I was running low on food, one fellow hiker insisted on showing me a friggin' *video* of the one pound burger he ate at WHL, and it sure looked good (in the video) at the time ...

Indeed the southern part of the "wilderness" is tougher than the northern part, so not only is it a longer stretch but since a lot of it is tougher too (plan on doing less miles per day ...), that's your big issue for having enough food.

10-K
08-06-2010, 05:34
I stopped at WHL and enjoyed it well enough but I'd probably skip it if I had it to do over again. It's close enough to Abol Bridge that you don't have to carry *that* much more food out of Monson.

The one thing about WHL that I didn't particularly care about is that I felt like I was being monitored any time I touched something - hard to explain - but the way they run you a tab there I thought it was kind of creepy the way I was being watched when I looked at the food.

I guess they've had problems with stuff "walking away" but still, I didn't like it.

Phreak
08-06-2010, 10:04
I guess they've had problems with stuff "walking away" but still, I didn't like it.
They were using the honor system when I stayed there in 2007. They didn't monitor me or the amount of sodas or anything else I was consuming. I'm sure some a-holes abused this policy and they now need to keep a closer eye on things. Nothing wrong with it IMO. They are operating a business and need to make sure they aren't being ripped off.

Bare Bear
08-06-2010, 11:42
I would definitely cut the weight and make the Landings stop. One extra day and you can go the Gulf Hagas route which is much more scenic but longer; unless you are doing this as an AT Section hike of course.

MattBuck30
08-06-2010, 11:48
The White House Landing is an absolute must. One of the best stops along the entire trail. It is expensive, but you can definitely get a decent re-supply there.

SouthMark
08-06-2010, 12:53
The White House Landing is an absolute must. One of the best stops along the entire trail. It is expensive, but you can definitely get a decent re-supply there.

Thanks. I am definitely stopping there. I am not rich but this is a section hike and I may never get back that way again. Sure would hate to miss it. The only things in life that we regret are the things that we did not do.

10-K
08-07-2010, 05:15
Thanks. I am definitely stopping there. I am not rich but this is a section hike and I may never get back that way again. Sure would hate to miss it. The only things in life that we regret are the things that we did not do.

For reference, I stayed there 1 night and spent around $75. That included lodging, a hamburger (massive), a pizza, 3 whoopie pies and a few candybars for the road.

weary
08-08-2010, 10:44
.....One extra day and you can go the Gulf Hagas route which is much more scenic but longer; unless you are doing this as an AT Section hike of course.
That's carrying "purism" to a foolish extreme. It's all part of the AT corridor. And the Gulf Hagas loop starts and ends at the same point on the AT. There is an MATC constructed shortcut that cuts off a mile or two of flat trail if one wants to be sensible, rather than White Blaze pure. But I consider any trail within the corridor that has been built and maintained by a maintaining club -- and that results in a longer walk to be ultra pure.

Weary

steve84
08-10-2010, 17:34
Please help, Im looking to do the 100 mile wilderness, are there other groups/people planning to go, I know im phy fit, hiker tested, I just dont know where to begin, is there any sites/ info ?? any leads??
any help would be most appreciated

Thanks

Steve

boarstone
08-10-2010, 18:26
This is the site to search on, just put 100 mile wilderness in search bar, you'll get more than enough to help you.

Bare Bear
08-13-2010, 13:33
Hey Weary, I agree with you myself but thought the guy should decide on the facts that best suit him. I've done the Wilderness three times and ever since doing Gulf Hagas I steer folks that ask to take the time to do it. It is the very best of the Wilderness IMO. I truly believe that it should be included as a part of the AT itself. I met a guy in 06 that said he does a new AT section each year then drives to Monson and does the Wilderness and Katahdin. He says he does it every year and had made like 25 trips up to Baxter Peak. I thought that was a cool way to end his sections yearly.
Thanks for your Trail work. I hope we meet out there someday.