PDA

View Full Version : 90 mile NY - 6 day trip this week!

ExosC3
08-05-2010, 18:07
leaving for my NY thru tomorrow. cant wait. scheduled to do 15 miles a day over 6 days...greenwood lake to CT state line. Pack is ready to go and weighs out at a solid 42 lbs. Thats WITH 6 litres of water, about 13lbs just in water. we will see how the sources look (i have a filter) and decide to carry all 6 each day or cut down. the rest is mostly food weight. tons of cliff bars and then knorr sides and tuna for dinners...

anyway, cant wait to get out there...gonna be hot but hoping it will cool down a bit and water wont be tooo scarce.

also ill be breaking in my new osprey atmos 65 pack...im coming from an exos58 so not too different but should be nice to support the extra weight.

nice thing to know is that at the end of the day the pack will only be 29lbs once the waters gone lol

anyone else gonna be out there or have been recently? any water along roadsides? how are the sources?

jersey joe
08-05-2010, 20:40
leaving for my NY thru tomorrow. cant wait. scheduled to do 15 miles a day over 6 days...greenwood lake to CT state line. Pack is ready to go and weighs out at a solid 42 lbs. Thats WITH 6 litres of water, about 13lbs just in water. we will see how the sources look (i have a filter) and decide to carry all 6 each day or cut down. the rest is mostly food weight. tons of cliff bars and then knorr sides and tuna for dinners...

anyway, cant wait to get out there...gonna be hot but hoping it will cool down a bit and water wont be tooo scarce.

also ill be breaking in my new osprey atmos 65 pack...im coming from an exos58 so not too different but should be nice to support the extra weight.

nice thing to know is that at the end of the day the pack will only be 29lbs once the waters gone lol

anyone else gonna be out there or have been recently? any water along roadsides? how are the sources?
Good luck on your trip Exos. I still can't believe you are leaving with six liters, but you will have no problem putting that down in this weather. Are you starting at the state line trail? Give us a trip report when you get back.

Kerosene
08-05-2010, 20:57
You shouldn't need the full 6L starting from Greenwood Lake, as you will definitely hit running water at Fitzgerald Falls. I can't quite recall how far that is from NY-17A, but it can't be more than 2-3 hours.

ExosC3
08-05-2010, 20:58
Good luck on your trip Exos. I still can't believe you are leaving with six liters, but you will have no problem putting that down in this weather. Are you starting at the state line trail? Give us a trip report when you get back.
yea i know, i cant believe it either...i really wish i didnt have that extra weight but id rather have more ater and the pack get lighter as the day goes on. can always just refill one of the bladders.

were starting at greenwood lake at the marina taking the blue trail up to the state line. ill definatley report when we return

perrito
08-05-2010, 23:59
Have a great trip! Quite ambitious. I'll be looking forward to your trip report. :)

jersey joe
08-06-2010, 08:11
yea i know, i cant believe it either...i really wish i didnt have that extra weight but id rather have more ater and the pack get lighter as the day goes on. can always just refill one of the bladders.

were starting at greenwood lake at the marina taking the blue trail up to the state line. ill definatley report when we return
State line trail(blue off greenwood lake) is the way to go, puts your right on the NY/NJ border. It is just straight up the ridge and not marked great, though hard to lose. Took me about an hour to get up there with the wife and kid a couple weeks ago.

Raul Perez
08-06-2010, 08:31
I still hear water is scarce and Fits falls is but a trickle now. But trail magic is out there.

Have a great trip

sasquatch2014
08-07-2010, 09:09
You shouldn't need the full 6L starting from Greenwood Lake, as you will definitely hit running water at Fitzgerald Falls. I can't quite recall how far that is from NY-17A, but it can't be more than 2-3 hours.

We did get some rain here near the CT line but it didn't really make that big an impact. Some NoBo's I talked to two days ago said that with a bit of work they were able in about 10 min to fill a coke bottle 16oz from the "Falls" don't plan on water sources get it whenever you can and camel up bigtime. Both Telephone Pioneer and Wiley Shelters are completly dry.

ExosC3
08-11-2010, 10:49
hey guys i figured id do a little report now that we are back from the trip.

for one thing, water is SCARCE...there were some lucky pick ups at roads from trail angels for the first 2 days but after that, basically nothing...fitz falls was bone dry, everything was bone dry...ran into a trail angel at bear mtn.. captian someting, he had left 15 gallons at one road crossing, which we had passed int he morning..he said by night, all 15 were empty..by the time i got to bear mtn, we were both 100% out of water and feeling not compltely normal..
anyway, we made our way to the top of bear mountain and decided to cut it short and finish up in fall...did about 40 miles...disappointing really. the terrain in this section is very steep climbs on rocks and boulders, then steep decent, then straigh back up again...rough stuff..it was simply too hot and too dry, but we had a good few days out there..planning to finish the rest in last sept or october

ExosC3
08-11-2010, 10:50
also, we did run into a number of thru hikers...

Connecticut
Gypsy Girl
Watermelon

a few others as well...they were all hopped up on ice cream from the creamery to notice that there was no water haha

jersey joe
08-11-2010, 10:55
Thanks for posting your trip report Exos...don't feel bad, this heat and lack of water cut my trip short too a few weeks back...it can be brutal out there. And it is amazing how just a day without much water in this humid 90 degree heat can really take a toll on the body/mind.

ExosC3
08-11-2010, 17:06
yea it can happen quick...the last climb on the 3rd day was just so insanley steep and the sun was just blazing down on us with no coverage...think we got a little heat stroked there and were unable to properly re-hydrate that night due to lack of water and uncertainty of tomorrows water...the next day i finished my last liter and then i was dry for about 3 miles of climbing and decending to bear mtn with no water, was probably about 90 by the time we got to the top..$2.00 bottles of water were worth it to regain consciousness