PDA

View Full Version : ridgerest solar, anyone used it? thoughts

hikerinnc
08-05-2010, 19:42
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/camp-and-comfort/ridge-rest-solar/product

Like/dislikes would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

Foyt20
08-05-2010, 20:47
I use a z-rest. I found that to be more comfortable than the ridge rest. the egg crate makes it a bit thicker.

Miner
08-06-2010, 15:12
The RidgeRest has always had a better insulating factor over the Z-Rest, but the Z-Rest has always been more comfortable; at least for the first few weeks until the egg crate pattern collapses from use). However, that RidgeRest Solar is too heavy and you loose the typical weight advantage of using a foam sleep pad over an inflatible. I'm sure its warm, but unless you are winter camping, I don't think you need that extra warmth.

Toolshed
08-06-2010, 16:20
I have a couple of these from closeout at Rochester sports ($11) in 1994 and they're still kicking a$$, No loss of insulation and the stil look brand new. No foam degradation like the blue foam pads either. If you need 1 fail-safe pad, I would definitely conisder these.

Franco
08-13-2010, 23:57
The Solar version is new for 2010.
There are two version , the Ridge Rest (1.5 cm thick) , not out yet (AFAIK) and the DeLuxe (2 cm)
The DeLuxe now is rated at R3.5 up from the 3.1 of the previous version. Same weight.
Franco