PDA

View Full Version : Grayson Highlands to Damascus

Tuckahoe
08-05-2010, 23:12
Planning a hike from Grayson/Wise shelter to Damascus, Virginia for early to mid-October. Would love any insight from those that have hiked this portion of the trail.

Phreak
08-05-2010, 23:18
I did this stretch with Egads a couple years ago. Great stretch of trail.

copperjohn
08-05-2010, 23:25
Did VA 16 to Damascus last week. This is a great section to hike. Expect the area around the Thomas Knob shelter to have a good bit a overnight campers around. The weather should have turned already and the trees will be changing colors, which will be nice. Good smooth run pretty much all the way down to Damascus. Good trip!

10-K
08-06-2010, 05:36
Atkins to Damascus is my favorite hike - you picked a great section!

sherrill
08-06-2010, 09:52
Hiked to Mt. Rogers this weekend, starting at Massie Gap. One cautionary word of advice for this section: Bring a hat and/or use sunscreen.

I say this because we were in clouds the whole day, yet I still got a pretty nice sunburn on my face.

Bare Bear
08-06-2010, 11:18
Nice section, enjoy. I am jealous of anyone out now whereit is cooler than 92F. At least there is no oil on the beach here.

Bearpaw
08-06-2010, 12:32
You'll have great views in the Grayson Highlands SP area, as well as Elk Garden and the west side of Whitetop Mountain. Be prepared for sun protection. You'll be pretty exposed. I wore a full-brim hat the last time I hiked this section and was happier for it versus a ball cap.

It will be cooler than the surrounding area because of the extra elevation. I hiked the area the last week of June. While Damascus was in the 90's, the highlands region was only in the upper 70's. Expect about a 10-15 degree difference before the Mt. Rogers area and Damascus. Plan accordingly.

I would highly recommend considering a walk along the Virginia Creeper Trail for the last 10 or so miles into town, unless you are section hiking with the goal of eventually submitting paperwork for a full AT hike. Compared to the AT route, it is easier(very gentle downhill or flat), shorter (saves a couple of miles), has more open space for views, offers creekside walking and water nearly the whole way, and even gives the chance for a town break/meal at one of the snack bars or the cafe in Taylors Valley.

And enjoy yourself. It's a fantastic walk.

For some ideas, you can check this trip report (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63397) from June.

TexasEd
08-06-2010, 12:32
I started at Dickey Gap last August for a 50 mile hike which we did in 3.5 days.

Fox Creek is another popular starting point and puts you in before pine mountain where we found a lot of wild blueberries.

The side trail to Mt Rogers is nice, but there is no view at the top since it is heavily forested.

There is a section between Mt Rogers and Whitetop Mtn that you cannot camp in.

Buzzard Rocks and the Rhododendron tunnel right after it were very cool.

JEBjr
08-06-2010, 13:24
October? I would wear some blaze orange, preferably some Va Tech Hokie Orange in SW Virginia. I think bow season starts October 2.

Hiking the last few miles into town on the Creeper Trail might not be a bad idea. I don't recall many eventful sights between where the AT left the Creeper and Damascus. But the view in the Fall might be better from the ridge above Saunders Shelter. I could seldom get a view out because of all the foilage in May.

Big Dawg
08-06-2010, 18:04
Awesome section!! Beautiful views!! Cool ponies!!

orangebug
08-06-2010, 19:16
Bring carrots for the ponies. I echo the recommendations to start at Fox Creek and use the Va Creeper trail. There is no good reason to cross the road and climb that empty ridge just to walk into town. If weather is bad at all, there is absolutely no reason to White Blaze it. Get a better map than the ATC version, as there are multiple connecting blue blaze options between Fox Creek and Mt Rogers.

A few years ago Almost There and I did 11 miles from Bear Gap (camped on the side trail in snow) into Damascus inside of 4 hours. We had hypothermia conditions and had to essentially run or freeze. The cafe wasn't open outside of tourist/bicycle season.

Lone Wolf
08-06-2010, 19:55
don't feed the ponies. seriously

mtnkngxt
08-06-2010, 20:04
I'll reiterate what Lone Wold said. DON'T FEED THE PONIES! The more people feed them the more they think people equal food, and the more they'll harass people in the highlands. Enjoy them, take a picture, and move on.

Big Dawg
08-06-2010, 22:19
nor should you "handle, molest, or harass the ponies in any way" :rolleyes:,,, a request made by this sign...

JEBjr
08-06-2010, 22:54
Parking might be safer at Masseys Gap, rather than Fox Creek. But I have never had problems at either place.

Tuckahoe
08-06-2010, 23:48
Thanks for the thoughts so far. And dont worry I have no interest in feeding or bothering the ponies.

At the moment we're hoping to be able to park in Damascus and get a shuttle to Grayson Highlands.

Bearpaw
08-07-2010, 18:44
don't feed the ponies. seriously

I'll reiterate what Lone Wold said. DON'T FEED THE PONIES! The more people feed them the more they think people equal food, and the more they'll harass people in the highlands. Enjoy them, take a picture, and move on.

nor should you "handle, molest, or harass the ponies in any way" :rolleyes:,,, a request made by this sign...

In 1999, Biohazard and I were packing up at Wise Shelter when a pony tried to chew into Bio's foodbag in the top of his open pack. I shouted at it to no effect. I approached from the side and gave it a smack on its hind quarter. It immediately tried to square up on me.

I grew up around horses and knew it was about to kick me, so I moved to the side, but if I hadn't I would have been hurtin for certain when it lashed out with both rear hooves. After that one kick, it wandered on, leaving us alone.

On three trips to the area since, I've not had problems with the ponies while I was camping, but I make sure not to feed them.

Big Dawg
08-07-2010, 21:54
but I make sure not to feed them.

fed one once,,, but only what it was already eating on the ground... :D

orangebug
08-08-2010, 10:56
don't feed the ponies. seriouslyOkay, my bad!

I'm a bad Dad who brings the kids with carrots. I'll cut it out.
:o

Lone Wolf
08-08-2010, 20:05
Okay, my bad!

I'm a bad Dad who brings the kids with carrots. I'll cut it out.
:o

not a bad dad at all. but teach the kids to feed ALL animals not just ponies. bears included

orangebug
08-12-2010, 00:31
not a bad dad at all. but teach the kids to feed ALL animals not just ponies. bears included
LOL! The bears just seem so jumpy and scared around me. Haven't been able to hand feed them ever!

It is fun in Spring to set up near salt blocks and enjoy pony visits during the night.

George
08-12-2010, 07:46
when the ponies bite at you a backhand swat to the nose should send them away, otherwise they may follow you and keep biting at your stinky pack and body

Tuckahoe
08-12-2010, 22:40
What sort of weather should I plan for in October?

Marta
08-13-2010, 07:09
The high numbers could probably be in the 70s during the day, and sunny. There is a lot of unshaded walking, so a broad-brimmed hat would be good.

On the cold side, it could be wet and very windy, and excellent hypothermia weather (40s). It could easily get down around freezing at night, depending on the altitude you're sleeping at, and whether you're sheltered from the wind.

Marta
08-13-2010, 07:09
PS--Check the hunting seasons around your exact dates. Wear blaze orange!!!

Tuckahoe
08-13-2010, 07:16
Already checked Virginia hunting regulations and other than archery archery season, firearms hunting does not begin until the end of October 30 for some areas of the state.

gsctx
05-26-2011, 17:39
I know this is kind of an old thread and not sure anyone is still checking it but I'm bringing a group of 10 girls scouts and six adults up in a couple weeks and we're hoping to do the section from Grayson to Damascus in four days. The girls are 12- 18 yrs old and have all done at least a weekend backpacking trip. I'd love any advice on this section - mileage, camping spots that could accomodate us all, water, opinions on whether this would be a good section for us... Thanks in advance! Happy trails to you all!