PDA

View Full Version : Just introducing myself

One Half
08-06-2010, 10:00
I just wanted to say hello to everyone out there. I haven't hiked in a few years but my husband and I were pretty into it before having our son. We have done some hikes with him but none in the last couple of years (he's 12 now). We were trail adopters for a few years so that got us out at least a couple of times a year with our son. Really itching to get back into it. Hiking was always my meditation.

We plan on thru hiking once our son is old enough to go with us or old enough to stay alone or with family/friends for an extended period of time. Looks like it will be at least 4 years.

I am a personal trainer, I run my own company, so if anyone wants advice about conditioning for hiking or how to handle injuries give me a holler. I know what it's like to have to sit on the sidelines when you want to be on the field.

Storm
08-06-2010, 10:26
Welcome to WhiteBlaze.

You'll probably get more questions on conditioning than you can handle.:welcome

Bare Bear
08-06-2010, 11:16
Unless you are the 'knee fairy'..........
welcome to WB

Kerosene
08-06-2010, 14:39
You should realize that 12 years old isn't too young to do a thru. Of course, you'll have to support him more and he may not be ready to be removed from his electronic tethers for 6 months at such a formative stage, but younger kids have done it! Of course, if you wait 4 years then he should be big enough to carry some of your gear!

There are a lot of us young-at-heart, aging-in-body hikers here that are dealing with knee issues. Personally, I've been leaving burnt offerings for the knee gods as I've found fairies to be less than helpful.

Hikes in Rain
08-06-2010, 18:16
You should realize that 12 years old isn't too young to do a thru. Of course, you'll have to support him more and he may not be ready to be removed from his electronic tethers for 6 months at such a formative stage, but younger kids have done it! Of course, if you wait 4 years then he should be big enough to carry some of your gear!

There are a lot of us young-at-heart, aging-in-body hikers here that are dealing with knee issues. Personally, I've been leaving burnt offerings for the knee gods as I've found fairies to be less than helpful.

I've tried that to, but it was dinner. :o

Back when I was 12, I was doing short solo hikes, and enjoying them very much. Things are different now, of course. The dinosaurs are gone, for one thing. But that was a small town, the "wild woods' were usually one of the farmer's woodlots.

One Half
08-06-2010, 18:32
Unless you are the 'knee fairy'..........
welcome to WB

Depending on the issue I may be able to help. PM me and we'll see if we can put together a game plan for you.

DapperD
08-06-2010, 20:30
I just wanted to say hello to everyone out there. I haven't hiked in a few years but my husband and I were pretty into it before having our son. We have done some hikes with him but none in the last couple of years (he's 12 now). We were trail adopters for a few years so that got us out at least a couple of times a year with our son. Really itching to get back into it. Hiking was always my meditation.

We plan on thru hiking once our son is old enough to go with us or old enough to stay alone or with family/friends for an extended period of time. Looks like it will be at least 4 years.

I am a personal trainer, I run my own company, so if anyone wants advice about conditioning for hiking or how to handle injuries give me a holler. I know what it's like to have to sit on the sidelines when you want to be on the field.Welcome PennyPincher! I also would like to someday attempt a thru-hike, but right now family obligations are more important. Hiking dayhikes are available to me right now, and I enjoy this whenever I can. I also enjoy a variety of other physical pursuits, including bike riding, road walking, and body-building. It must be great to be a personal trainer. I would love to have access to some of the bigger machines found in the Professional Gyms. Right now my home gym is what is available to me. I think hiking/backpacking has to be one of the best exercises for overall fitness and weight management.

canoehead
08-06-2010, 20:38
:welcome ...................

Tinker
08-06-2010, 22:07
Hi, Penny. Welcome, and thanks for the offer. I'll keep it in mind! :)

Zeno
08-07-2010, 06:45
Welcome Penny. I'm all ears on the conditioning thing. Since I am new to this also, I've gleaned mucho info from here at WB, as you will too. everyone is ready to help. just ask!

Big Dawg
08-07-2010, 08:24
:welcome to WB!!!