PDA

View Full Version : Hows the snow?

sbhikes
08-06-2010, 15:21
My section hike is coming up August 15. How's the snow? Is there any left? Any flowers left? Overall what has the weather been like? It's been freezing cold where I live in So Cal so I'm curious if we're having a cold summer everywhere in California.

fiddlehead
08-06-2010, 17:10
A buddy of mine just returned from WA state. (PCT)
Too much snow to hike so he bailed.
That was about 10 days to 2 weeks ago.

eagleJ
08-07-2010, 01:11
Just finished section from Red's meadow to Yosemite, had a couple of patches on Donohue Pass but no where else. Take a bug net just south of the Pass was pretty bad.

Helmuth.Fishmonger
08-09-2010, 13:04
Snow was big in early July, but by now there's little left. Snow is never the problem - it's the runoff and the high creeks you get from it. This year's Bear Creek crossing was something else... people were openly asking for assistance, as it was scary fast and deep, and that was around July 20, when in dry years you can boulder-hop across that thing.

sbhikes
08-09-2010, 15:50
It's going to be nearly a month later than July 20 when I go. Do you expect creeks will have improved? Also, how are the daytime and nighttime temps this summer (on the JMT, don't care too much about Washington, nice as it is there.) Seasonable? Unseasonable? Not that it'll make much difference in what I bring, but I am curious if I'm ever going to see summer this year. I've worn a down jacket almost every single day this summer in Santa Barbara.

ChinMusic
08-09-2010, 16:04
I just finished Reds Meadow to Happy Isle. There was about a 100-yard section of snow around Donahue Pass, but it was nothing more than a curiosity. The snow in this area had those red patches that say "don't eat".

Donahue is a bit over 11,000 for comparison.

edit: Weather-wise the temps were a bit colder than I expected at night. While getting my permit I told the ranger that I had a 40 and 30-degree bag in my car. He said, "take the 40". He was wrong.

I had two nights were I recorded 27° on my Kestrel. I sleep pretty warm but 27 in a 40 bag was a bit colder than I wanted to be.

sbhikes
08-10-2010, 16:21
Thank you ChinMusic. That is helpful, timely info. I leave on Friday! I hope the creeks are manageable.

ChinMusic
08-10-2010, 17:03
Thank you ChinMusic. That is helpful, timely info. I leave on Friday! I hope the creeks are manageable.
Creeks were a non-issue from Reds to Happy Isle.

I only remember wading once (Lyell area) and that was by choice. I could have rock-hopped but considered that worse than getting my shoes/socks wet (that actually felt good and dried quickly).

Bugs: They were out most everywhere. I'm not a good judge of them as they don't affect me very much (clothing treated with Permethrin). I'd just swat the few during the day and apply dope (Ultrathon) to my hands, neck and face once in camp. It was cool enough once reaching camp to put on a jacket right away. I didn't want to dilute my sunscreen during the day. I burn fairly easily and keeping my skin intact was my biggest challenge. That unrelenting sun at elevation is nasty.