PDA

View Full Version : musical instrument case?

sbhikes
08-06-2010, 16:59
I would post this in the ultralight forum because I like to go light, but I suspect that ultralighters don't bring musical instruments with them.

I have a stringed instrument I would like to take on a trip. I think the case it has is just too heavy and would like to protect it somehow with something lighter. I am wondering how other people protect their guitars or ukes or whatever other instruments. Mine is a strumstick. It's long and skinny and I worry about getting it scratched up or snagging the strings on stuff. Any suggestions?

fiddlehead
08-06-2010, 17:06
I believe they (sturmstick) a lot like the Martin "backpacker" which is what i normally carry.
My backpacker came with a soft case which is what i carry it in on the trail.
I cut off all the straps and outer stuff and then I had my sil nylon raincover made special for the part that sticks up after i strap it to the side of my pack.
I have used it on 3 thru-hikes and although i wore won out, Martin sent me another guitar for free and it wasn't because of the case that it was worn out. JUst too much use.

So, try to check out the case that you get when you buy a new backpacker and see if your instruments fits inside.
I have seen people make some other, perhaps lighter cases but i don't think they would hold up as good as the one i use is padded.

Have fun.

RGB
08-06-2010, 17:18
I also have a Backpacker. I bet you could find the gig bag for it separately online.

sbhikes
08-06-2010, 18:31
I have the bag for my strumstick, but it is really very heavy. I'm wondering if there's a sufficient replacement anyone has tried. Plastic bag? Sew your own? Cardboard? Hmm.

Tinker
08-06-2010, 22:10
Check out kayak bow storage sacks. They are flotation sacks which have a roll top closure so you can fit gear inside.
I made a liner out of 6 mil plastic sheeting and duct tape for a short trip a few years ago for my backpacking guitar. The bottom was a roll closure and I strapped it to my pack downside up.

Rocket Jones
08-07-2010, 08:29
I like Tinker's idea. If you're more worried about protection from scrapes and scuffs, check with a plastics supplier for thin-wall tubing big enough to slip the instrument into. They may have caps available, or you can improvise with plastic and duct tape.

Does the post office or fed-ex have a foldable cardboard tube that will work? I'm thinking about one of those triangular ones.

Sassafras Lass
08-07-2010, 15:55
Hey, I work at Woodwind & Brasswind, and I would suggest that you get Bubble Wrap and line the inside of a homemade corduba nylon pyramid tube (or something similar that is more lightweight) - you could always cover the outside of something like that with a raincoat material . . . . Bubble Wrap is probably the only thing I'd trust day in and day out; we use some other materials for shipping but nothing is as sturdy in the long run, it seems . . .

As far as gig bags for the backpacker-style guitars, I'm not seeing that we carry anything for that particular style; all of the gig bags available, even for 3/4 guitars, are going to be noticeably larger I'm afraid - on the other hand, that would give you room to install bubble wrap.

http://www.wwbw.com/Dean-Gig-Bag-for-Baby-Guitars-540995-i1151459.wwbw
http://www.wwbw.com/Squier-Mini-Gig-Bag-540037-i1150902.wwbw

Also, as a courtesy to my fellow AT aficianados, I would be more than happy to help anyone get a travel guitar. I don't work on commission, but I play music myself and DH is a musician, so I understand the need for good gear at an equally good price. I hope this isn't considered avertising, I'm not a salesman, after all . . .

RGB
08-07-2010, 17:02
Check out kayak bow storage sacks. They are flotation sacks which have a roll top closure so you can fit gear inside.
I made a liner out of 6 mil plastic sheeting and duct tape for a short trip a few years ago for my backpacking guitar. The bottom was a roll closure and I strapped it to my pack downside up.

I like this. I'd be a little worried about scratches...but I shouldn't be. It's a backpacker, I should expect it to get beaten up. Ugliness won't affect the quality of the sound.

sbhikes
08-08-2010, 16:08
Bubble wrap is a great idea. I found some in a box and cut it and taped it together to fit. I think just bubble wrap alone should be sufficient. With the case that the strumstick comes with most people think it's a gun, which can be troublesome. The case weighs almost as much as the instrument, too. I wish I had gotten the smallest strumstick instead of the biggest.

Tinker
08-22-2010, 22:56
I was thinking about this subject yesterday and remembered how tough the string ends (at the tuning heads) were on the inside of the bag. I figure that a small heavy nylon stuffsack cinched over the headstock would prevent the string ends from snagging or scratching the waterproof cover. Had I used my guitar for more than three days on that trip (or since) I would have figured this out back then.

sbhikes
08-25-2010, 16:48
Just to let you know, the bubble wrap worked well. By the end of the 5 day trip it had a hole in it around the pegs, but otherwise, I felt like my strumstick was protected well.

As an aside, I really enjoyed having my strumstick along. I've always brought a pennywhistle but they are very loud. Strumsticks are quieter.

nativesun
08-30-2010, 19:58
I would post this in the ultralight forum because I like to go light, but I suspect that ultralighters don't bring musical instruments with them.

I have a stringed instrument I would like to take on a trip. I think the case it has is just too heavy and would like to protect it somehow with something lighter. I am wondering how other people protect their guitars or ukes or whatever other instruments. Mine is a strumstick. It's long and skinny and I worry about getting it scratched up or snagging the strings on stuff. Any suggestions?

I have a Martin Backpacker; I created a lightweight case for it by using the instructions on this site - http://joesacher.com/?p=9
My waterproof case weighs 18oz.

- NS