PDA

View Full Version : Where to start???? I have a question..

nawlunz
08-06-2010, 22:02
I just completed the trans-sierra route, (High Sierra Trail) which runs West to East (Sequoia to Mt Whitney)..I am now interested in the JMT segment coming from North to South ending at the Portal....I would like approx. 4 day hike before Whitney...with that in mind, what is a reasonable trailhead to enter?
Anybody done that segment? How is it?

Helmuth.Fishmonger
08-09-2010, 13:11
Taboose Pass is about 4 days, but it's a PITA pass to get up, and you do have to do 15+ miles a day to get to the portal in 4 days. You need to do Pinchot, Glen, Forester and Whitney from there - better be acclimated and in shape if you choose that route.

Sawmill Pass is closer, but extreme as it starts way down in the desert, and there's no water until you get way up. Nicer than Taboose up high, but I'd never want to walk that thing uphill. Some start that trail at night, which may not be a bad deal - it's desert for the first 5 miles, then a burn zone, but after that it's a real nice pass.

Never been to Baxter Pass, but that's probably ideal for a 4 day, however, also starts deep in the desert and is not maintained at all. Drops you on the JMT just below Rae Lakes.

Kearsarge Pass probably best. Shepherd Pass is even closer, but you need to climb more elevation to get over it, nor will you see Forester, Bullfrog Lake and a few other sights. South of Forester the JMT gets rather dull - other than Bighorn Plateau, I find it to be one of the most boring stretches of the entire thing - we usually power through all that in a day just to get it the heck out of the way.

nawlunz
08-09-2010, 18:19
Taboose Pass is about 4 days, but it's a PITA pass to get up, and you do have to do 15+ miles a day to get to the portal in 4 days. You need to do Pinchot, Glen, Forester and Whitney from there - better be acclimated and in shape if you choose that route.

Sawmill Pass is closer, but extreme as it starts way down in the desert, and there's no water until you get way up. Nicer than Taboose up high, but I'd never want to walk that thing uphill. Some start that trail at night, which may not be a bad deal - it's desert for the first 5 miles, then a burn zone, but after that it's a real nice pass.

Never been to Baxter Pass, but that's probably ideal for a 4 day, however, also starts deep in the desert and is not maintained at all. Drops you on the JMT just below Rae Lakes.

Kearsarge Pass probably best. Shepherd Pass is even closer, but you need to climb more elevation to get over it, nor will you see Forester, Bullfrog Lake and a few other sights. South of Forester the JMT gets rather dull - other than Bighorn Plateau, I find it to be one of the most boring stretches of the entire thing - we usually power through all that in a day just to get it the heck out of the way.

THANKS, So, it sounds as if I need to start further North....What is I decided to break up the JMT into three ten day segments...each to be done over a summer....would you recommend starting at Yosemite and doing ten days, then the mid section? My question if I do this is where is a natural break/trailhead to start and stop each section.

THANKS

Helmuth.Fishmonger
08-11-2010, 17:41
THANKS, So, it sounds as if I need to start further North....What is I decided to break up the JMT into three ten day segments...each to be done over a summer....would you recommend starting at Yosemite and doing ten days, then the mid section? My question if I do this is where is a natural break/trailhead to start and stop each section.

THANKS

I've done the entire trail in 10 days...

really up to your pace, but if you are taking 30 days total for the trip, you can do whatever you want, because on any given day, you can put in a double day according to your planning and make up the time. My kids have no real problems covering 15 miles a day, and we've put in a number of 20 mile days, too. Most hikers I met up there complete the entire trail in less than 20 days.

Helmuth.Fishmonger
08-11-2010, 17:44
oh - and breaking it up into 3 sections:

Happy Isles to Reds Meadow

Reds Meadow to somewhere over Bishop Pass, and then from that Pass to the end. You could use Taboose Pass instead, although it's further south than any 10-day hike would require and it's a real pain to get there unless you use the shuttle service from Lone Pine (plan in $100 for that trailhead). If you go over Bishop Pass, you will probably be able to hitch a ride into Bishop.

nawlunz
08-14-2010, 21:50
oh - and breaking it up into 3 sections:

Happy Isles to Reds Meadow

Reds Meadow to somewhere over Bishop Pass, and then from that Pass to the end. You could use Taboose Pass instead, although it's further south than any 10-day hike would require and it's a real pain to get there unless you use the shuttle service from Lone Pine (plan in $100 for that trailhead). If you go over Bishop Pass, you will probably be able to hitch a ride into Bishop.

...that you did the entire trail in 10 days!! You must be in great shape!! The 5 passes in 5 days in the southern part of the trail look like a killer!!

Damn, seriously, I am very impressed!!

Helmuth.Fishmonger
08-16-2010, 10:57
...that you did the entire trail in 10 days!! You must be in great shape!! The 5 passes in 5 days in the southern part of the trail look like a killer!!

Damn, seriously, I am very impressed!!

The trail isn't hard at all - it's all built for freaking horses, so the word "steep" does not apply. A few steps here and there but the rest is more long distance cruising than mountain hiking.

Record for the trail is about 4 days - read post by Ian Alloway a few messages down on this page

http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=67989&page=1&gonew=1#UNREAD

that guy is in shape - funny thing is that his record was obliterated by another hiker just a few days later.

sbhikes
08-21-2010, 22:24
If you carry a light pack and hike after the snows have melted, it's really quite an easy trail. It isn't really steep. It's just high altitude with long climbs and bone crunching descents that go on forever. And I might be weird, but I feel like I can breathe a lot better at high altitude.

Bishop Pass is a really good pass to exit. Dusy Basin is really pretty. After you get to the trailhead, there's Parcher's Resort just one mile down the road from the trailhead where you can get a $5 shower or some snacks/drinks and then hitch a ride to Bishop. From Bishop you can take a bus to your car.