PDA

View Full Version : First section hike with my kids

bert304
08-07-2010, 16:25
Today my daughter Ashley (9) and my son Matthew (5) and I (38) went on our first section hike. We went from the parking lot on Route 501 to Round head Vista South then down the Shower steps (what a fun mistake that was, 500 steps down the mountain). Then out to the road and back to the car. Total miles around 6 trail miles and walking 2 road miles back to the parking lot. It was a really nice hike. We saw our first Rattlesnake at the look out about 2.5 to 3 feet long. Very nice day hike 6 hours total

JAK
08-07-2010, 17:16
Awesome. It doesn't get any better than that.

bpitt
08-07-2010, 21:21
That's awesome. My kids want to hike the AT with me, and I can't wait. We've done some flat land trails, and they seem to do fine. We've done a few trails in the Smokies, nothing over 6-7 miles, and they've done better than expected.

My oldest is 10, and she has already told me that for her 'senior trip' at the end of high school, that she wants me to take her and her cousin on a thru-hike, lol! Booyah! You don't know how pumped that makes me feel. My 4 yo begs to go longer at the end of our easy hikes, it's awesome. Kids rock!