PDA

View Full Version : Stargazers alert ; Perseid Meteor Shower August 12th

johnnybgood
08-08-2010, 11:28
Perseid Meteor Shower is an annual occurrence with the peak night to witness " shooting stars " coming August 12th. The viewing this year should be good since the moon will be setting in the sky around 10 pm, giving us a moonless sky which is perfect for star gazing. Hopefully the sky is clear after midnight on Thursday so those out there still hiking the trail can see Mother Natures' light show.

Does anyone have a favorite place you like to go to watch meteor showers or just go to star gaze ?

Here's a website for viewing tips and future meteor events.

http://stardate.org/nightsky

sbhikes
08-08-2010, 16:11
I can never see the meteor showers. Too much fog and light pollution where I live. I'd have to go somewhere inland, anywhere but here.

Different Socks
08-08-2010, 18:55
Every other year on average the new moon occurs during the Persieds. I watch every year I can and hope this years is a good one.

greenmtnboy
08-09-2010, 18:44
Thanks for the alert. I was able to make it to both "Stellafane" the anual telescope makers and astronomy enthusiast gathering of about 2000 folks in Springfield, VT over the last weekend and the Long Trail festival, a good distance away.

Halesy
08-09-2010, 19:12
I'll be somewhere between Swatara and Duncannon. Hope there's going to be someplace to get a view.

Tailwinder
08-09-2010, 21:56
Have a backcountry permit to watch the Perseids from a site high in Rocky Mountain National Park. Unfortunately, it's been unseasonably rainy this July and August. Hope the nights clear up so we can watch the show just as John Denver sang about in "Rocky Mountain High!"