PDA

View Full Version : Harpers ferry parking

stunt man
08-09-2010, 01:04
im planning my thru for next year but in a couple weeks from now i will have some time off of work so i just decided that im going to go hike a section to test some of my equipment and ect. harpers ferry is the closest part of the trail to me and thats still 4 1/2 hours away. my question is, is there anywhere in harpers ferry that i will be able to leave my car without any worries? any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Bucherm
08-09-2010, 01:21
ATC parking.

You could also park up at the shuttle/visitor parking...I think you have to tell the NPS you're leaving it there for a few days.

stunt man
08-09-2010, 01:22
thanks! will it cost me any money to park it or is it free?

Bucherm
08-09-2010, 01:30
Where?

I seem to recall you have to pay to park at the NPS lot. In fact you may want to call ahead and determine how long you can park it there. Not sure what the rules are for the ATC parking.

stunt man
08-09-2010, 02:22
thanks alot for the help!

fredmugs
08-09-2010, 07:41
From what I recall the ATC does not want you parking there overnight bewcause of limited space. I had someone drive my car to the NPS lot and left it there for 5 days with no problems. They do lock the gate at night so you'll want to know what hours it will be open.

dcmidnight
08-09-2010, 08:43
Someone posted this for me when I was looking for similar information in the Shenandoahs:

http://rohland.homedns.org/at/at_menu.aspx

If you look at the HF section there is a phone number you could at least call to get current information.

dovecote
08-09-2010, 11:15
im planning my thru for next year but in a couple weeks from now i will have some time off of work so i just decided that im going to go hike a section to test some of my equipment and ect. harpers ferry is the closest part of the trail to me and thats still 4 1/2 hours away. my question is, is there anywhere in harpers ferry that i will be able to leave my car without any worries? any help would be appreciated, thanks!

For extended parking in Harpers Ferry most will use the National Park Service Visitor parking lot at the Cavalier Heights Entrance Station off US Highway 340. There is a one time park fee of $6. There is a two week limit for parking. You must fill out a "Request For Overnight Parking" form that you present at the Visitor Center during normal business hours. The form can be obtained from the park website http://www.nps.gov/hafe/planyourvisit/index.htm Click on the link titled "Request For Overnight Parking".

stunt man
08-09-2010, 22:20
thanks alot for the great info!!!

Country Roads
08-10-2010, 20:59
Nice place to park. A friend and I parked a vehicle there and got a shuttle to Wolfsville road. It was nice to ride the bus back to the park and know the truck was still in one piece.

The funny thing was that when we were catching the bus, the bus drive saw us, opened the door, we got on, she told us to go to the back of the bus and take our packs off. We did and then she took off. We were the only 2 on the bus.

I looked at my buddy and said "did she just tell us to sit in the back of the bus?". I think perhaps she had given a lot of stinky hikers rides and did not want to expose everyone else to our stink; heck we had only been on trail 4 days. That's not long enough to work up a really good stink! She was pretty nice though.