PDA

View Full Version : South Taconic-AT loop in MA

burger
08-09-2010, 22:02
I'm thinking about linking up the AT and the South Taconic Trail in MA (plus a bit in CT and NY) to make a 30-mile loop. At the south end, it looks like the two trails connect via the trail to Mt. Frissell (which goes over the CT high point), and on the north end you'd have to road walk a couple of miles on Jug End Rd.

Has anyone done the South Taconic Trail or tried this loop? I've heard good things about the west side of the Taconics, but I've never been over there.

Migrating Bird
08-09-2010, 22:42
These are my favorite trails. Check out the map by Berkshire Natural Resource Council
http://www.bnrc.net/map.html Scroll down to the South Taconic Trail Map. It is a great map complete with a history of the area. If you start on the south end of the STT and hike north, parking for 2-3 cars. The hike up Brace Mt. will get your attention. If you arrive late in the day there is a great campsite (30 min hike) at the top of the climb up from your car - the trail makes a sharp left and turn right, cross a small stream in 100 ft and the large campsite is located on the south side of the stream at the top of the falls. The last time I was there, there was considerable bear sign in the campsite. Views to the west are outstanding as is Bash Bish Falls - be sure to hike down to the bottom of the falls as the STT crosses at the top. . When you get to the northern terminus, at Rt 23, road walk or shuttle over to Jug End Rd and take the AT south and go over Mt. Everett, Race Mt great views to the east (short side trip down to Race Brook Falls, If time permits, continue south up over Bear MT great views and down the south side to Riga Junction then turn left (downhill) and loop back on Paradise trail (awesome cruising trail) back to Sages Ravine, cross the At at the north side of Bear Mt and go out to AMC hut, cross West St go up over Round (I think) & Frissell to Brace and south on the SST back to your car. If you need any other help let me know.

Migrating Bird
08-09-2010, 22:46
Forgot about the great views from Alander Mt. There is also a small cabin in a notch just south of Alander. Water could be a little tight this time of year on the SST so plan on carrying enough for 15 miles which would put you at Bash Falls.

John S
08-10-2010, 01:53
The link below is an interesting thread about possible bushwhacking routes to complete the STT/AT loop at the northern end. I’d recommend having a decent map handy while reading it.

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32789&highlight=south+taconic+trail (http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32789&highlight=south+taconic+trail)

burger
08-10-2010, 08:01
Great responses! Thanks, guys.

Cosmo
08-10-2010, 12:26
A variant to Migrating Birds route: Start at the MT Washington State Forest HQ, hike west on the Alander Mtn Trail. Campsites less than an hour in on a trail to the left, or the cabin near the top of the mountain (it's not in great shape, and tenting spots are pretty limited). Take a left turn on a trail parallel to the STC for some nice views. Eventually it descends to the SCT. Continue south on STC to the Mt Frissel trail and turn east. This trail crosses East street and continues past the AMC NW cabin to junction with the AT. Take the AT north to Mt Everett parking area (Guilder Pond) and take the access road down to East St for a 20 min road walk on a quiet road back to your car. See http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/western/mwas.htm for maps. This is a great 2 day hike for fall foliage or at the end of June for laurels.

Cosmo

Migrating Bird
08-10-2010, 20:33
A variant to Migrating Birds route: Start at the MT Washington State Forest HQ, hike west on the Alander Mtn Trail. Campsites less than an hour in on a trail to the left, or the cabin near the top of the mountain (it's not in great shape, and tenting spots are pretty limited). Take a left turn on a trail parallel to the STC for some nice views. Eventually it descends to the SCT. Continue south on STC to the Mt Frissel trail and turn east. This trail crosses East street and continues past the AMC NW cabin to junction with the AT. Take the AT north to Mt Everett parking area (Guilder Pond) and take the access road down to East St for a 20 min road walk on a quiet road back to your car. See http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/western/mwas.htm for maps. This is a great 2 day hike for fall foliage or at the end of June for laurels.

Cosmo

In my earlier post I said west street, sorry east street or Mt Washington Road further south and it is Bash Bish Falls not Bash falls sorry for the confusion.

The Cabin on Alander was in decent shape when I was last there in March. Roof fixed, stocked with some provisions. There is a very large hand carved compass rose in the fir strip floor. If you do start at the State Forest Headquarters on the Alander Trail you will cross a small brook, then the Charcoal Pit Trail on your left, (the trail is an old roadway complete with "corduroy" ) then the larger Ashley Hill Brook. Cross the AHB, the trail turns right up hill. Follow the brook downstream (crystal clear water) on the west side. You will see the remnants of a very old mill dam, there is a great campsite and mini gorge, deep pools and neat rock formations. It is a level 100 yd walk. It is a great "secret spot" for watching the brook trout and meditation.

Cool Hands
02-24-2011, 14:48
I'm reviving this thread! I had a similar idea, but because I hate leaving portions unfinished, I would get dropped off at the southern terminus of the South Taconic Trail, hike north to the Catamount ski area, and take a bike that I would have hidden in the woods earlier to get to the Appalachian Trail a few miles east. I would bike east on Route 23 (Hillsdale Road) and down Route 41 (North Undermountain Road), this being the only route nearly completely downhill, pick up the AT near a couple fields, hide my bike in the underbrush to prevent theft, and hike southbound all the way past Bear Mountain + Lion's Head, getting picked up at the road crossing.

Using the bike would prevent the roadwalk, and using this route would avoid having to cut across on some side trails before the beautiful views on the ridge near Brace Mountain and south of this, as well as the significant portion of trail south of Bear Mountain which I hear is very pleasant. I plan on doing this around April 22 -- does anyone know if the leaves will be out (or atleast partially out) by then? It would make the hike much more pleasant.

Anyways, that's my plan. Anyone else thought of anything similar?

Cool Hands
02-24-2011, 14:54
Forgot to mention:

Here's a kick-ass map that covers the entire range. http://www.pdcarto.com/common/STR.jpg

Driver8
02-24-2011, 17:06
Anyone here hike to the top of Mt. Ashley, say, by summitting Frissell then turning north? Is it forbidden? Is there an unmarked trail?

Snowleopard
02-24-2011, 17:46
Anyone here hike to the top of Mt. Ashley, say, by summitting Frissell then turning north? Is it forbidden? Is there an unmarked trail?
According to the Mt. Washington State forest map, the top is inside the state forest. Going from Frissel to Ashley, you wouldn't leave the state forest.
http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/western/mwas.htm click on the trail map link in the middle of the page.
My recollection of the Ashley Hill Trail is that it should be possible to bushwhack up from there (it's been a looong time, so forgive me if I'm wrong). There might be patches of mountain laurel or rhodendron that could be hard to get through but you could probably go around. I don't remember how bad the underbrush is on Frissel. It might be easier now than in the summer, less brush, no ticks, no rattle snakes.

johnnyblisters
02-24-2011, 17:53
The DCR map is a really good resource for this area as lots of the trails are less maintained than the AT. As long as you have the map, I say go for it, the views on Frissell and Alander are spectacular.

Driver8
02-24-2011, 22:49
It might be easier now than in the summer, less brush, no ticks, no rattle snakes.

I'm thinking November would be the time to do it, before the snows come in. This year, especially, it'll be messy for a while yet, then before long it'll get thick with leaves and the snakes'll come out.

Snowleopard
02-25-2011, 12:50
I'm thinking November would be the time to do it, before the snows come in. This year, especially, it'll be messy for a while yet, then before long it'll get thick with leaves and the snakes'll come out.
I've camped there in late October just after the leaves came off and it was a really nice time to be there. For November, just check on hunting seasons.

Driver8
02-26-2011, 08:14
I've camped there in late October just after the leaves came off and it was a really nice time to be there. For November, just check on hunting seasons.

I'm headed out that way today for a waterfalls tour - Race Brook, Bash Bish and Greylock area. Should be awesome!

Tuts
04-21-2012, 17:45
I'm doing this "loop trail" with a buddy in a couple of weeks. I'm going to film the experience (my first film with another person), and would like to come up with a name for this trail that we can all share. I was thinking something like "Taconic Loop Trail" but it sounds a little bland... any ideas? If we all get together on a name, maybe we could make this a promoted trail...

rocketsocks
04-21-2012, 17:55
I'm doing this "loop trail" with a buddy in a couple of weeks. I'm going to film the experience (my first film with another person), and would like to come up with a name for this trail that we can all share. I was thinking something like "Taconic Loop Trail" but it sounds a little bland... any ideas? If we all get together on a name, maybe we could make this a promoted trail...Hey Tuts,always look forward to your videos,web site looks great.The "Taconic Loop Trail"name works for me,have a great hike!:sun

rocketsocks
04-21-2012, 17:58
Hey Tuts,always look forward to your videos,web site looks great.The "Taconic Loop Trail"name works for me,have a great hike!:sunMaybe after you have finished the
"Flavor" of the trail will present some sugestions for a name.

1azarus
04-21-2012, 22:25
Seems like an interesting area... so I just made a maprika map of the South Taconic Range. Not really high resolution, but let me know if it looks helpful and I'll work on it. the map is gps synched... Get the maprika iphone or droid app (free) and search the map list.

Tuts
04-26-2012, 10:27
Came up with the name Taconic Ridge Loop Trail... any other ideas?

1azarus
01-24-2013, 10:36
John S (above) refers to a views from the top thread on this subject, where i found a post by Will, as follows:

Appalachian Trail (AT)/ South Taconics Trail (STT) Jug End Connector v 0.1a
11/29/2009

The most challenging is right at the start, the old trail here is faint and
obscured for the first 100 yards or so. Spend a few minutes to get this right
and you'll be fine.

Going N the AT slabs across NE slope of Mt. Undine then passes the Elbow Trail
on the R. Then, just before taking a slight left to cross a leafy depression on
the trail (frequently a pool) and then immediately swinging R to climb a slight
rock outcropping, turn L (W) instead at N42 07 14.1, W73 25 54.0 and immediately
find yourself on top of a very low rocky knoll running S-N. About halfway across
the top of the knoll look W (a tiny bit S of W) and try to pick up the trail
traces/lines of least resistance for about 65 yards. Your target is N42 07 13.8,
W73 25 57.7, where the trail becomes more distinct.

Step down from the knoll and give it a shot. Go back to the knoll and re-sight
if needed. If you've gone anything like 100 yards west of the knoll without the
trail firming up, you've gone too far. Err to the right.

The now reasonably distinct trail swings NW for about 100 yards to a path
intersection. Bear R (N). The trail improves, though there are some blowdowns,
mostly just light branches, but in about 200 yards is the mother of all
blowdowns, which maybe is best crawled under.

You are now descending an old woods road, occasionally thinning to a path, NNW
to the Jug End Loop Trail and Fenton Brook.

A little less than 1/2 mile past the blowdown there is a tricky little section
at N42 07 37.6, W73 26 09.1. Trail seems to go left, and that's OK. but there
follows a confusing, torn up area it may be hard to pick up the track out of, on
the other side. Instead, look to the R and you'll see a path leading up and then
around that area. After tending R for a short while, more N than NNW, the trail
then resumes NNW.

SKIP THE NEXT PARAGRAPH AND PICK UP WITH THE BRACKETED SECTION [ ] BELOW, IF YOU
DON'T WANT TO GO "OFF TRAIL" AT THIS POINT.

At any point you like from here, or even a little before, possibly as much as
1/4 mile earlier, you can leave the woods road L and go directly downhill West-
ish through open woods and easy walking for 180-400 yards (depending on where
you start, and how directly you take the slope) to reach another woods road I
call the Low Road. Take a R (N or NNW, depending on exactly where you hit it) on
the Low Road to reach the blue-blazed Jug End Loop Trail at its southernmost
point. Cross the Fenton Brook and reach an old furnace. This off-trail is much
more direct and is nicer and drier than the on-trail alternative that follows.

[[ THIS SECTION IS _ONLY_ IF YOU SKIPPED THE LAST PARAGRAPH.

In a little less than 1/2 mile trail swings L to descend along a stream bed.

Leave woods road at N42 07 56.9, W73 26 23.8 to take faint path L (W).

Intersect blue-blazed Jug End Loop Trail in about 130 yards at N42 07 57.3, W73
26 28.3. Turn L (S).

After about 300 yards turn R (W) to cross Fenton Brook. The Low Road enters from
the left just before the crossing.]]

Turn R (N) at old furnace to continue along blue-blazed Jug End Loop Trail for a
little more than a mile, crossing a feeder stream a couple of hundred yards from
the furnace.

Woods start to open up and you soon after emerge from the woods. Blue blazes
end. Bear left on grassy road through meadows.

Cross stream in about 250 yards, pass twin trees in meadow in another hundred
yards or so.

Bear L (W) onto another grassy road.

Reach dirt road at N42 08 44.3, W73 27 19.2. Turn R (N)

Follow this road about 300 yards N. A faint path to the L leads through the
beautiful meadows, to the northeast corner of the meadows at N42 09 0.1, W73 27
34.1, where a faint trail leads briefly due N, to a dry stream bed crossing,
then NNW 300-400 yards through flat and open woods to another dry stream bed
crossing and immediately a woods road running E-W at that point (N42 09 11.0,
W73 27 41.4). Turn L (W) up the slope of Mt. Whitbeck.

The road achieves a point high on the northern-descending ridge of Mt. Whitbeck
near a building to the left. From N42 09 11.7, W73 28 05.3 the route proceeds SW
along a maze of trails through mostly open woods, avoiding a climb to higher
ground on your right then climbing a knoll at the end of that high ground to its
top at N42 09 0.0, W73 28 17.4. Though this area is riddled with trails and
traces, it is best just to head SW from the building, using the trails when you
can, because especially high up there is some thickish shrubbery, but keeping to
the SW heading, climbing to the knoll to establish a known reference point. Nice
break spot. The route then descends from this knoll W and then SW, with
occasional trails, traces and dry stream beds through gently sloping ground with
excellent footing. The route reaches a S-N path along the high bank of Karner
Brook at N42 08 52.6, W73 28 42.8. Along this path you can choose your way down
the somewhat steep bank and up the opposing bank to Mt. Washington Rd. I prefer
a long gentle slab down to the left, and a shorter slab to the right on the
other side, to reach Mt Washington Rd at N42 08 53.1, W73 28 46.4.

Proceed approximately 250 yards north on Mt Washington Rd and turn left onto a
dirt road that we've been calling the Chip Woods Road, but I'm now renaming as
the Wood Chip Road because it sounds more rustic, at N42 09 0.3, W73 28 40.5.

This 250 yards of street walking can be eliminated by a steeper and more direct
crossing of Karner Brook to the R (N).

Follow the woods road up about 5/8 mile to reach the edge of a clearing
surrounding a structure at the top. A distinct trail leaves the woods road to
the L (W) and swings around R (N) to join the STT in a few hundred yards.

An alternative to the woods road is a path paralleling it on the other side (L)
(S) of the stream it follows uphill. Though a distinct trail, it is mostly quite
overgrown and there are blowdowns (just branches but frequent). I found it
unpleasant.

... so how crazy is trying this? i guess i'll need to figure out how to get gps coordinates from my droid...

Another Kevin
01-24-2013, 18:46
... so how crazy is trying this? i guess i'll need to figure out how to get gps coordinates from my droid...

GPS Status and Toolbox. (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2&hl=en) Free app. Reads out all sorts of useful information about your GPS system. PM me if you need help with it.

Backcountry Navigator (http://www.backcountrynavigator.com/) ($10) is a pretty decent backpacking GPS app for Android. I do custom maps for it, so if that VFTT post had a link to a GPX file with the tracks, I can transcribe it, especially if I'm invited along. ;) It'll be some work (work that I want to do at some point anyway) because I've only done NY state maps so far, and the different states have different geodata.

I'm cool with no-blazing, given that detailed a description. (I'd need to look at the VFTT thread more thoroughly, though - there seemed to have been some posters reporting altercations with landowners?)

Guess, if this plan firms up, someome needs to join Berkshire Natural Resources Council (http://www.bnrc.net/maps/) to get the "dead trees" trail maps.

Snowleopard
01-25-2013, 11:48
Guess, if this plan firms up, someome needs to join Berkshire Natural Resources Council (http://www.bnrc.net/maps/) to get the "dead trees" trail maps.
It's probably worth joining BNRC, they seem to do good work. I bought my copy in Great Barrington, which you probably need to go through to get to the start. The South Taconic map is excellent. There's a couple of other places on the BNRC web site that carry their maps.
The Bookloft Barrington Plaza Rt. 7 Great Barrington, MA

1azarus
01-29-2013, 11:32
...my wife just got told she needs to go to a conference, so my trip is on:cool:. i think i need a wise-ass emoticon with a ski hat on. will be going Feb 28th thru March 3rd -- between trips to bradley airport! Now I have to try to understand all the stuff everyone has posted! always good to see other wb'ers out there. let me know if you're tempted.

1azarus
01-30-2013, 20:03
so now that i'm planning my boutique taconic loop hike, i wanted to share that, according to that unimpeachable source, wikipedia, "In October 2009, AOL Travel named Bash Bish Falls as one of the "Most Dangerous Tourist Attractions" in the U.S." How exciting is that??? I just can't wait!!! Any other must-see or do adventures on the "loop?" I figure a stay at the Hemlocks is probably in order, and was thinking about a meal at Catamount Ski area...

hikerboy57
01-30-2013, 21:09
...my wife just got told she needs to go to a conference, so my trip is on:cool:. i think i need a wise-ass emoticon with a ski hat on. will be going Feb 28th thru March 3rd -- between trips to bradley airport! Now I have to try to understand all the stuff everyone has posted! always good to see other wb'ers out there. let me know if you're tempted.
im tempted but i dont think i can take off the 28th.last day of the month and all that.im thinking of going up that way in a couple weeks, weather permitting.ws even tempted to go somewhere this weekend. im off sunday and tuesday, might ask for monday and find somewhere to do a quick 3 day.

hikerboy57
01-30-2013, 21:11
so now that i'm planning my boutique taconic loop hike, i wanted to share that, according to that unimpeachable source, wikipedia, "In October 2009, AOL Travel named Bash Bish Falls as one of the "Most Dangerous Tourist Attractions" in the U.S." How exciting is that??? I just can't wait!!! Any other must-see or do adventures on the "loop?" I figure a stay at the Hemlocks is probably in order, and was thinking about a meal at Catamount Ski area...
youve never been to bash bish?

burger
01-30-2013, 22:16
FYI, if you are doing the loop counterclockwise (going south on the STT), the trail kind of disappears around the falls. You follow the road up to the falls. Then you keep going up the road, above the falls, to the upper parking lot follow the STT from there. The trail from there goes up super steeply. If there is snow or ice there (there might be in late February), you'll want some kind of traction device.

Sarcasm the elf
01-30-2013, 22:25

Me neither, I've been on MT Race countless times, but never stopped in to the park.

hikerboy57
01-30-2013, 22:37
Me neither, I've been on MT Race countless times, but never stopped in to the park.
went up there maybe 10 or 12 yrs ago in late spring, the falls were beautiful, very steep climb up along side then standard ridgeline walking with the usual ups and downs, but fairly tame if i remeber coerrectly. its been a while

coach lou
01-30-2013, 23:45

1982........believe it or not, cowboyed with X.....first time she'd ever camped out:sun

1azarus
02-08-2013, 15:14
It is finally really snowing in CT! Looks like guaranteed winter conditions for the next month! Time to play!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

hikerboy57
02-08-2013, 15:15
It is finally really snowing in CT! Looks like guaranteed winter conditions for the next month! Time to play!

mid 40s by tuesday.

WingedMonkey
02-08-2013, 15:55

I'm going crazy trying to figure out how to get my butt to the Berkshires while I'm still harvesting and planting my garden here at home.

Migrating Bird
02-08-2013, 16:51
[QUOTE=1azarus;1412497]It is finally really snowing in CT! Looks like guaranteed winter conditions for the next month! Time to play!

The SST is one of my favorite trails, there is a great campsite at the top of the steep climb up from the southern terminus ( go south instead of north on the SST cross the small brook and it is in the Hemlocks at the top of the falls., plus the cabin (always open) in the saddle just below Alander summit. There are two ways around Bash Bish Falls, first as described above, above the falls but you have to cross the brook - can be sketchy in winter, better is the trail on the south side of the falls - the two trials intersect near the top of the steep climb. Speaking of steep climbs, try the trail up along side the falls on the north side. There are some pictures in the gallery of some rattlesnakes I took on the SST a couple of years ago. (4) in one day.

FYI, BNRC map of the South Taconic Range is the best I have seen.

Another Kevin
02-08-2013, 18:31

mid 40s by tuesday.

And rain on top of the snow. No significant snow up here near Albany yet, we've got less than an inch so far. As usual, totally different weather east and west of the Berkshires.

1azarus
02-12-2013, 16:12
Update -- Another Kevin and 1azarus are definitely in for the Taconic loop starting Thursday morning, February 28th, and finishing Sunday, the 3rd of March. We'll be starting at the Mt Washington State Forest Headquarters and hiking counter clockwise, with the intention of using Another Kevin's stellar map making and orienteering skills to off-trail connect the AT and the South Taconic Trail near Jug End. Let us know if you'd like to join us for all or some of the trip. Personal interest: Hammocking. Call it a group hang if that works for you!

Another Kevin
02-12-2013, 21:10
Personal interest: Hammocking. Call it a group hang if that works for you!

I'm going equipped as a ground dweller. I don't have a hammock, and I've never tried one on the trail. I suspect that I'd not sleep well in one, but I'm mightily curious.

I'll repeat the invitation to join for all or some of the trip. I'm nowhere near as fast a hiker as 1azarus, so I'd love some company if he decides to charge on ahead and leave me in the dust (or at this time of the year, more likely in the slush). I might make up for it by having more recent practice going off-trail. Last summer I did a few of the trailless Catskill 3500's. My signature sums up my orienteering skills. (Then again, it sums up everyone's, doesn't it? ;) )

coach lou
02-13-2013, 08:48
Update -- Another Kevin and 1azarus are definitely in for the Taconic loop starting Thursday morning, February 28th, and finishing Sunday, the 3rd of March. We'll be starting at the Mt Washington State Forest Headquarters and hiking counter clockwise, with the intention of using Another Kevin's stellar map making and orienteering skills to off-trail connect the AT and the South Taconic Trail near Jug End. Let us know if you'd like to join us for all or some of the trip. Personal interest: Hammocking. Call it a group hang if that works for you!

I am dying to get out, I anticipate getting some type of game*s that weekend (first week of tournaments). I would like to squeeze in a day hike.

Another Kevin
02-14-2013, 01:46
Waypoints from the trip report that 1azarus reposted are at http://goo.gl/maps/K3OAg .

Download KML from http://kbk.is-a-geek.net/maps/20130214/stt.kml or GPX from http://kbk.is-a-geek.net/maps/20130214/stt.gpx.

Another Kevin
03-01-2013, 23:47
I'm off trail from doing half the loop; I came down with a nasty case of bronchitis and decided that I wasn't up to any more ascent in the snow. 1azarus is still going strong. I'm resting up at home and I'll write a trip report when I'm feeling better. For me it was a great - but challenging - trip. I didn't know I was getting that sick until today, but it was affecting my hiking ability. Normally those Connecticut/Massachusetts hills would be perfect for me, enough to huff and puff, but not enough to plead for mercy. Not this week.

1azarus
03-03-2013, 11:58
...and i'm home now, too. I just wanted to share my admiration of Another Kevin's back country navigation skills. He made the 5 mile bushwhack from Jug End to the South Taconic trail look like, ummm... a walk in the park! I couldn't have done it without him. At the risk of making him the go-to guy for this sort of thing -- he is the go to guy for this sort of thing!

The rest of the loop? Great winter hike. I loved every minute, and would recommend it heartily.

coach lou
03-03-2013, 12:01
_. .. _._. .

Another Kevin
03-03-2013, 18:27
·-·· --- ··- -·· · -·- · ----· - ···- ·-· ·· --· ···· - ··- ·- ·-· · --- -- ···· ·· ···· ··

1azarus was right - it was a great trip for me right until I realized that I was having too bad a breathing problem to make the remaining climbs. The cabbie who took me back from near Catamount to my car was alarmed enough at the sound of my breathing that she offered to take me to the hospital in Great Barrington. The antibiotic seems to be working, my chest is clearing now.

Thanks again to 1azarus for putting up with my pace - I was going painfully slow, even worse than my usual slow pace. And thanks for at least pretending to like my dal bhaat tarkari. (Well, I like it. I don't usually cook things I don't like, at least more than once.)

Another Kevin
03-03-2013, 19:04
I just wanted to share my admiration of Another Kevin's back country navigation skills. He made the 5 mile bushwhack from Jug End to the South Taconic trail look like, ummm... a walk in the park! I couldn't have done it without him. At the risk of making him the go-to guy for this sort of thing -- he is the go to guy for this sort of thing!

The real credit goes to Will on VFTT. His directions made the navigation a piece of cake. Everything was right where he said it was.

Wil
07-09-2015, 18:39
The Appalachian Trail to South Taconic Trail link at Jug End has been updated/improved.
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?32789-Bushwhacking-from-AT-to-South-Taconic-Trail/page4

burger
07-09-2015, 19:11
The Appalachian Trail to South Taconic Trail link at Jug End has been updated/improved.
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?32789-Bushwhacking-from-AT-to-South-Taconic-Trail/page4

Nice to see. This is, by far, the best loop backpacking trip in southern New England.

1azarus
09-30-2015, 11:01
... I am planning to revisit the South Taconic Range Loop/bushwack this november... In preparation I've taken the latest off trail info from that VFTT site and superimposed it on the wonderful South Taconic Range Map... so the whole thing is easily referenced. I have posted the new map combination to the free Maprika smartphone app, where it is GPS synchronized. It is entitled "South Taconic Range Loop Trail." It is also attached here.32161

LIhikers
10-02-2015, 19:45
My wife Kathy and I spent a couple days hiking around in Mt. Washington State Forest some years back. We talked about doing a loop with the AT but that's as far as the idea got. How many miles is this entire loop?

1azarus
10-02-2015, 20:36
Hello! there are long and short versions of the hike. My planned "long" loop is to park at the Jug End Loop Trail trailhead, (i hope i am allowed to leave a car there overnight -- I'll check) and take the loop trail south to the closest intersection with the bushwack, then to head northeast to connect with the South Taconic Trail. I'll take the South Taconic Trail to the intersection with route 344, then take the side trail up alongside Bash Bish Falls, ford Bash Bish above the falls and continue up to meet up again with the South Taconic Trail on Bash Bish Mountain. The trail is quite sweet continuing south -- over Alander, Frissell and Round Mountain, down past the AMC North West Camp, then up the Bee Line Trail (...I got pretty lost in the brush and snow on that trail the last time, but that is another story...) to Bear Mountain, where the trail circuit joins the AT and turns north. just past the Elbow Trail junction I'll pick up the balance of the bushwack and head west, over to the Jug End Loop Trail to complete the trip. The AT from Bear Mountain to the Elbow Trail is just over 8 miles... the whole bushwack is 5 miles, and my guess is that the full circuit is in the neighborhood of 26 miles-- but you want to get Another Kevin's attention if you want a better mileage estimate than that... I am really looking forward to hiking it in the fall, without snow on the ground.

Starchild
10-02-2015, 21:45
The trail diversion from the S. Taconic trail to Bash Bish, crossing at the upper or lower falls is, well status unknown. The blue trail does not exist officially anymore and the blue blazes are painted over black. I lead group here about a month ago, and noticed the change, but the route is the route and one I know very well (plan ahead and prepare, LNT and all). I was informed by one of my stragglers by a MA ranger that the trail no longer exists and the black blazes should have given that away, it was closed because it was too dangerous.

So officially it is now a bushwack, but is that allowed there??? There are some parks in NY that bushwacking is not allowed, not sure about MA.

1azarus
10-02-2015, 22:03
Oh my, starchild, this loop just gets better and better. When I last went through there it was in January and the stream was frozen two or three feet in from both banks, and I was proud of my decision not to ford alone. I walked back down the falls to connect with the taconic trail and took the long way around. I only saw the intersection of trails as I headed south over bash Bish mountain. Walking that trail is a big part of the reason I want to go back!

JGrusauskas
03-02-2017, 12:47
I'm thinking about linking up the AT and the South Taconic Trail in MA (plus a bit in CT and NY) to make a 30-mile loop. At the south end, it looks like the two trails connect via the trail to Mt. Frissell (which goes over the CT high point), and on the north end you'd have to road walk a couple of miles on Jug End Rd.

Has anyone done the South Taconic Trail or tried this loop? I've heard good things about the west side of the Taconics, but I've never been over there.

I have done the South Taconic trailfrom its *NEW* Southern terminus at the Shagroy Road Ore Mine inMillerton NY. Great little pond. I started there and went over BraceMt, Allander Mt. And down to Bash Bish Falls, where I got a ridehome. I have bushwacked quite a lot around this stretch too, andwould be happy to answer questions about whats around.

I have hiked the AT on this same ridge,starting on route 41 to Lions Head, over Bear Mt., Race Mountain, andMt. Everett. I have never connected the two trails this far north,but I have hiked from the AT over to the Taconic trail via the redblazed Mt. Frissel trail.

Someone told me this is one of thelargest uninterrupted tracts of forest in New England, but I cantverify. I do know I LOVE the south taconic range. Great views andsunsets from the taconic trail, great views from the AT side of theridge as well. Some cool hidden lakes and marshlands on top of theridge, and lots of blueberrys to pick. South Pond (part of Mt Rigacorp.) is paradise on earth, but Privately owned. If you have afriend who has a pass, you can ride with them to the swimming spot bythe dam on East St.

I wish I could see what it was likewhen Native American's inhabited this amazing spot, and then wheneuropeans came over and clear cut all of it to feed their ironfurnaces. Heres a shot looking at the ridge from the west, Brace Mt., Frissell, and Round mt. visible.38457

tdoczi
03-02-2017, 12:54
[QUOTE=J

Someone told me this is one of thelargest uninterrupted tracts of forest in New England, but I cantverify. [/QUOTE]

someone was talking a whole lot of total nonsense.

i suppose it may depend on what "one of the..." means exactly. it may indeed be one of the 100 or 200 largest. it isn't top 5 or top 10

JGrusauskas
03-04-2017, 15:28
thats sorta what i thought! from wikipedia: Taconic State Park is located within one of the largest unfragmented forests between Virginia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia) and Maine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine), an area of 14,400 (5,800 ha) contiguous acres of protected open space spanning three states and designated as one of America's "Last Great Places" by The Nature Conservancy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nature_Conservancy).

tdoczi
03-04-2017, 17:43
thats sorta what i thought! from wikipedia: Taconic State Park is located within one of the largest unfragmented forests between Virginia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia) and Maine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine), an area of 14,400 (5,800 ha) contiguous acres of protected open space spanning three states and designated as one of America's "Last Great Places" by The Nature Conservancy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nature_Conservancy).

weird word that unfragmented. i've walked roads there, both at the boundaries and in the center. if roads do not count as fragmentation then i don't see how GMNF and WMNF and baxter state park and a few other places couldnt easily dwarf it.

ok, maybe it might be #9 or #10.

x

burger
03-04-2017, 18:30
weird word that unfragmented. i've walked roads there, both at the boundaries and in the center. if roads do not count as fragmentation then i don't see how GMNF and WMNF and baxter state park and a few other places couldnt easily dwarf it.

ok, maybe it might be #9 or #10.

x

Speaking as an ecologist who's studied fragmentation, small roads generally aren't considered a major factor in fragmentation. On the other hand, WMNF and GMNF have plenty of clearcuts, plus they're divided into parcels of various sizes surrounded by towns and highways. Those do contribute to fragmentation.

tdoczi
03-04-2017, 18:43
Speaking as an ecologist who's studied fragmentation, small roads generally aren't considered a major factor in fragmentation. On the other hand, WMNF and GMNF have plenty of clearcuts, plus they're divided into parcels of various sizes surrounded by towns and highways. Those do contribute to fragmentation.

interesting. i just think of the south taconics as being bounded by not just roads but major development on all sides, (as well as in the middle up on the north end) so the notion that it is a protected area of some noteworthy size does not compute.

1azarus
04-10-2019, 19:55
Finally finished the bushwack loop today. I think I've gotten brush bushwacking out of my system now. Still, pretty cool and sort of fun. Thanks, Another Kevin, for showing me the first half...

Sarcasm the elf
04-10-2019, 21:21
Finally finished the bushwack loop today. I think I've gotten brush bushwacking out of my system now. Still, pretty cool and sort of fun. Thanks, Another Kevin, for showing me the first half...
Awesome Laz! Glad to hear and hope you’re doing well.