PDA

View Full Version : Hubba Mildew?

Smile
08-09-2010, 23:53
This is my second MSR Hubba tent, and used this new one for about 20 days, it was never packed wet, well maybe a little dew in the a.m., but set up mid afternoon and fully dried out. It's developed mildew that can't be washed off, it's in the 'middle' of the fly material.

Anybody have this problem, or perhaps a solution?

Called MSR and they have no warranty or replacement for anything mildewed.:-?

Anumber1
08-10-2010, 00:34
You ever see the movie Shawshank Redemption? Remember Andy Dufresne wrote a letter every week until he got money and books for his library? Then he decided to write two letters a week?

My suggestion to you is just keep calling and keep complaining. You're off to a good start with this post on white blaze. I've never had this problem with my Big Agnes

jrwiesz
08-10-2010, 03:53
...It's developed mildew that can't be washed off...perhaps a solution?...:-?

Have you tried Lysol? Supposedly it kills mildew.

Just a thought. :sun

Smile
08-10-2010, 07:06
Set it up last night on the deck, then in the a.m. today went out with a white washcloth, while wet with dew tried to rub it off, starting from the 'dry' or underside, the cloth did pick up some black, but I could not see any significant removal of the mildew stains.

Same thing for the outside - it was no dirtier, and it took lots of elbow grease to get some of the mildew off - but visually you could still see it 'in' the fabric.

This happened to my hubba hubba too, they are both less than a year old, with under 60 bag nights each.

I dont' want to saturate the material with lysol, since it seems it's 'inside' the material, which is odd.

Well, I'm still listening if anyone else has had this happen?

Spokes
08-10-2010, 07:28
Smile, mine did the exact same thing. Little black mildew spots all over but mostly on the fly. Never affected the performance but looked like crap.

I removed them by soaking the tent and fly in a bathtub of warm water and a couple scoops of no scent OxyClean. Rinsed well and air dried. Took a couple soakings to do the trick.

Good luck.

flemdawg1
08-10-2010, 13:24
Or you choose the biblical route and burn it. :-D

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus+13&version=NIV

garlic08
08-10-2010, 16:50
If the mildew has penetrated the fabric, it is ruined, and it's not a defect. No manufacturer should be expected to replace a mildewed piece of gear, unless they really want to promote goodwill.

You may be able to stop further growth and kill the active mildew with bleach solution or UV radiation (direct sunlight), both of which will cause further damage to the fabric, unfortunately. But some damage has been done. If it's enough damage to cause leaks, replace the item. If not, it's just cosmetic and you may be lucky.

sheepdog
08-10-2010, 17:00
I use peroxide and water on mildewed life jackets. spary and leave in the sun. usually works

Mrs Baggins
08-10-2010, 17:06
Our hubbas are 3 years old, used in rain, dew, fog - no mildew. But the curtains in our tent trailer developed lots of mold spots and they were always dry. We keep Damp Rid in the trailer. Who knows why they molded. I tossed the curtains in the washer with hot water, detergent, Clorox and OxyClean - the mold would not come out. They smell clean so that's all I can do.

Smile
08-10-2010, 18:21
Have had in the sun all day for five days now, has not helped the mildew. It's just that it's so new, that's what's bugging me! Will try the cleaning trick.

I don't want to whine, just want to know I'm not the only one this has happened to with this fabric. I'm wondering if this was a 'second', since the zipper seems to be put in backwards also on the main part of the tent, just noticed that today!

JERMM
08-10-2010, 18:32
where ever you've been storing your tents may not be as dry as you think

Smile
08-10-2010, 18:40
It's new, I've only been using it for 20 nights :) Never stored, yet. It came out of the bag new and perfect - that's why I'm perplexed out why mildew so fast!

JERMM
08-10-2010, 19:02
It's new, I've only been using it for 20 nights :) Never stored, yet. It came out of the bag new and perfect - that's why I'm perplexed out why mildew so fast!

have you had it inside your house, basement, garage or storage shed when not in use? If so that would be considered stored, IMO.

kmac
08-10-2010, 20:47
Was planning on purchasing for an AT thru hike, I am now reconsidering...

Don H
08-10-2010, 21:41
McNett has a product called MiraZyme that is supposed to remove mildew. I've never tried it myself. Go here and scroll down to the "Deodorize a tent" segment. http://www.mcnett-outdoor.com/Repair-Guide/Tents/220.aspx

pistol p
08-16-2010, 22:19
I had the same problem with my Hubba. It was put away dry this winter, even stored it next to the furnace to keep it dry. Took it out this spring and there was mildew/mold. I ended up scrubbing it with watered down Pine Sol and hanging it out in the sun. The spots stayed but the musty smell went away. I ended up selling it and I bought the Hubba HP instead. I hope this one won't get mildew/mold. The fly SEEM to be a different material. Who knows..:-?

Smile
08-16-2010, 22:38
Sorry you had the problem too. This one was never stored, it mildewed out of the bag after being shipped new.

The mildew does not have a smell, but I've had it outside for four days "spinning" several times a day for maximum sun exposure, think it's starting a garden of black mildew now.....not able to return it, just buy a new fly from MSR from what I was told - way expensive.

Might just sell this one on ebay as is, and start over. :)

What's the different with the HP?

pistol p
08-21-2010, 13:45
The biggest difference with the HP is the coverage. There is only mesh on the top quarter of the tent. I kept having wind issues in cold weather with the standard. It isn't as liberating in the summer if you are sleeping with out the fly. But, I don't need tons of tents lying around, so that is my sacrifice.

DapperD
08-22-2010, 17:49
It's new, I've only been using it for 20 nights :) Never stored, yet. It came out of the bag new and perfect - that's why I'm perplexed out why mildew so fast!I'm wondering if MSR has changed the manufacturer for their tents and where they are manufactured. I see on their site for the Hubba (http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/fast-and-light-tents/hubba/product) that they are currently made in Taiwan. I was wondering if this is where they have always been manufactured or if this is something new:-?.

Franco
08-22-2010, 19:22
I am pretty sure that all of the Hubbas have been made in the same Taiwanese factory since 2004 , nothing new here.
The fabric is the possible problem (if it isn't humidity/bad storage) and that has nothing to do with where it is cut/assembled. The fabric is not made by the people that assemble tents, just like a tailor does not make his own cloths .
Franco