PDA

View Full Version : Route suggestions for a 3-night Presidentials

amac
08-10-2010, 06:02
I am considering doing the Presidentials in the Fall. I've been able to map out several options, however, my campsites aren't near enough to water. Can anyone suggest a 3-night route considering these:
I prefer about 8-10 miles/day in the Whites. I don't want to rush.
I like to camp in the vicinity of water (less than 2 miles).
Since I hammock, I'm not limited to designated camp sites.
Trailheads for start point and end point don't have to be the same place, but within a mile of parking.

rickb
08-10-2010, 07:00
Where are the campsites for your current plan (the ones not within 2 miles of water)?

sixhusbands
08-10-2010, 07:53
You can start on Rt 302 , south of the highland Center where the AT crosses and take the webster Cliff trail. You can camp at Mizpah Springs/Nauman Tent sites the first night or duck down into the Dry river area.
Second day is the grandest part of the hike. Start at Mizpah Hut and take the AT over Clinton, Eisenhower and Monroe up to the Mt washigton summit. This is easily done in the morning. Then take the AT down over Jefferson and Adams and on to one of the shelters ( Gray Knob or Craig camp) or if you prefer the Perch. These are the only places to cmp near the ridges ( within a mile or so) that have reliable water.
The last day takes you over Madison and down to Pinkham Notch on Rt 16. You can reverse the trip as either way will work and you can use the Hiker shuttle to get you back to your car.

Enjoy the hike

fredmugs
08-10-2010, 11:03
Places to camp are one thing - places to hammock in the Whites are another. Will any of these places allow for hammocking?

Jack Tarlin
08-10-2010, 19:00
As long as one obeys the known rules and regulations for the Whites (i.e. not camping at or above treeline; not camping near existing structires, Huts, shelters, caretaker campsites, etc.) there is no reason at all why one should avoid hammock camping there. Other than camping on bare-rock summits (which is pretty much frowned on anyway), you're not going to have any problem hammock camping in north-central New Hampshire.
You are, after all, in a National Forest. There's no shortage of trees there.

Addendum to above: One can also hammock camp at shelter/tentpad/caretaker campsite locations, as again, there's no shortage of trees. If a careaker is present, you might want to ask them about the best place to do this, but as for having problems doing this in the White Mountains, the answer is no, people hammock camp up there all the time.

amac
08-11-2010, 17:34
Where are the campsites for your current plan (the ones not within 2 miles of water)?

You can start on Rt 302 , south of the highland Center where the AT crosses and take the webster Cliff trail. You can camp at Mizpah Springs/Nauman Tent sites the first night or duck down into the Dry river area.
Second day is the grandest part of the hike. Start at Mizpah Hut and take the AT over Clinton, Eisenhower and Monroe up to the Mt washigton summit. This is easily done in the morning. Then take the AT down over Jefferson and Adams and on to one of the shelters ( Gray Knob or Craig camp) or if you prefer the Perch. These are the only places to cmp near the ridges ( within a mile or so) that have reliable water.
The last day takes you over Madison and down to Pinkham Notch on Rt 16. You can reverse the trip as either way will work and you can use the Hiker shuttle to get you back to your car.

Enjoy the hike

Rickb, that's just the issue, other than the obvious water sources (hut or stream on map) I don't know where the water sources are. And that 2-miles I'm referring to means 'along the route of travel', I would prefer not to have to go very far off my route for water.

sixhusbands, that seems like a doable route. I'll have to look it over on my map. And thanks for pointing out Gray Knob, Craig camp, Perch. I wasn't aware of them. Thx.

rickb
08-11-2010, 18:31
Rickb, that's just the issue, other than the obvious water sources (hut or stream on map) I don't know where the water sources are. And that 2-miles I'm referring to means 'along the route of travel', I would prefer not to have to go very far off my route for water.

sixhusbands, that seems like a doable route. I'll have to look it over on my map. And thanks for pointing out Gray Knob, Craig camp, Perch. I wasn't aware of them. Thx.

If you are going in the Fall, the Perch should be open by then. Even though it may look like a ways off the AT, the blue blaze is mostly above treeline so its a great detour. I am guessing that a hammock hanger could find a spot the required 1/4 mile away from it, if you need it. Or just allow a bit more time for one of the other two RMC sites.

Note on treeline-- its defined as anywhere the trees are less than 8 feet tall. Not sure if that is relevant as a practical matter, but something to keep in mind.

Tinker
08-11-2010, 18:41
You could also go up the Dry River Trail, which is in a wilderness (we saw just two people on a fall trip) and stay at the shelter (if it's still there), or camp where it used to be or higher up (hammocking won't be a problem). Next day make for Crag Camp, Gray Knob, or The Perch, and the final day would be as mentioned above. Note: in wet wether the "Dry" River is anything BUT!