PDA

View Full Version : Atkins to Pearisburg

sore ankle
08-10-2010, 07:03
I am planning a trip from Atkins/I-81 to Pearisburg toward the end of August, and have the folllowing questions.

1. What is the current condition of the water sources?
2. How would you rate the difficulty of this section?
3. Are there any features that you think are "must sees" or "must dos"?

Anything else you want to share about this section would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Rain Man
08-10-2010, 10:51
I'm leading a hike over a section of your section, Aug 20-23, if that interests you. I'm posting a thread about it.

Just did the section south of there last month. Water was very slow at Trimpi Shelter, but otherwise fine.

Rain:sunMan

John B
08-10-2010, 12:35
My thoughts in no particular order: I thought that section was comparitively easy, although the climb up Chestnut Knob shelter was endless and tough for me, but maybe it's because I did it at the end of a 21-mile day. I don't recall much noteworthy about the section other than the bridge over Kimberling Creek is worth a picture. Davis Path Shelter is gone (the privy still stands) but you can tent in that area in a pinch. In one area, you'll be hiking adjacent to or through cattle pasture -- enormous green space that's pretty cool. Wapiti Shelter is creepy as hell and I was in an absolute hurry to get past it as fast as I could so I didn't stop and look around. One thing that's not in my trail guide is that at Laurel Creek, there's a maintained trash can where you can dispose of your garbage. Absolutely great tent sites there, too (when you see the trash can, you'll see tent sites; however, hike another 100 yards and there are even better ones). My guide book shows water just north of the I-77 crossing at Kimbering Creek, but personally I found that site to be trash filled and disgusting, and I'd pass on getting water there unless death is fast approaching. I remember that section having quite a number of stiles. I hiked the section in early spring when water was plentiful, so I've zero clue about how things are now.

I always write a trail log every section that I do, so if you'd like, send me your email and I'll send it to you.

Added to say that JEB's post reminded me of Dismal Falls. Doh, how could I forget that. Very nice place to see and tent. Also, a good section of the trail approaching Kimberling Creek is ridgeline with nice views into one of the prettiest farming valley that you'll ever see

Dogwood
08-10-2010, 13:04
I think if you had the AT Data Handbook you would have most of your questions answered.
There are also AT trails descriptions you can view free online.

JEBjr
08-10-2010, 13:49
Hopefully it will be a wet August, that would help your water concerns. The ridges along the section you are hiking are pretty dry when I was thru there. The earlier poster is right about the garbage in the creek below I-77. Unfortunately their isn't any water between this point and Laurel Creek and north of the creek the source at Helvey's Mill is a considerable distance of the trail. Jenny's Knob water source was nothing more than a puddle back in the Spring.

Sights along the way: The view from Chestnut Knob is pretty cool. Nice open bald, the shelter is an rock cabin for a forest ranger, if I remember correctly. View out into Burks Garden is nice if you can see thru the trees. I camped at Davis Farm Campsite just South of Jenkins Shelter, about a half mile off the trail. Good water source and a great view, but some loud cows. Kimberling Bridge was mentioned earlier. Trent's Store for a burger and then grab a six pack and head up to Dismal Falls and camp. Next night you have to stay at Wood's Hole - Nevil and Micheal are great. View from Angel Rest just before you start down into Pearisburg is pretty cool. I love Rice Field Shelter but it's just north of your destinatiion.

I am sure I missed many sights, but those where the highlights for me.

Have a great hike.

10-K
08-10-2010, 15:36
I remember this as a particularly unremarkable section although we did enjoy a cheeseburger and fries at Trents, about .4 miles from the trail.

As I recall, the last 10-15 miles are the best.

Big Dawg
08-10-2010, 16:29
I'm doing this section mid October,,, good info.

Bare Bear
08-13-2010, 13:41
Stop at Woods Hole and tell Nevell BARE BEAR SAYS HEY. I haven't met her fiancee yet, or have they married? Her grandmother was a great woman.

Bare Bear
08-13-2010, 13:59
Davis Farm is a good campsite (and the only water for a long way) although it was .5 miles DOWN from the AT and there is only room for a few tents, the rest of the area is very steep hills. In Ocotber you should not have a problem. I liked the mooing actually.

G. Rabbit
08-13-2010, 14:22
I was just hiking that section from July 27th- Aug 1st.

Just north of Atkins the trail goes through a few cow pastures. Say hello to the little black/brown one for me. At one point there were about 25 young ones following me. Great company! :)

Chestnut knob is quite nice, but the trail south of the shelter for a few miles was bushwacking through waist high grasses and thorny brush. If they've taken care of it in the past week or so it will be a splendid. Once into the clearing remember to look behind you as the view is magnificent.

Near Waipiti shelter is the Ribble Trail. It's about 2 or 3 miles and maintained fairly well if you want to blueblaze. It connects up to the AT again a few miles later. It's fairly steep in sections. Not too much to see except a cool wash/mudslide/thingy, a very old AT shelter(?), and lots of rhododendron though.

Jenny knob shelter a few miles south of the Trent's store road (VA#606) has a very unreliable spring this time of year. It was completely dry when I was there. The register said to go up the dry creek bed in case that happened, but no luck with that either. Entries in the register said there had been a small puddle the week prior. About a mile or so north is a little water in a creekbed, but it was fairly stagnant/filmy/smelled awful.

Dismal Falls is worth checking out, though not huge wild or spectacular. It's more of a peaceful creek, fishing hole, small falls. There are some cleared places to camp on the side trail to it. Looks like the locals call it home on the weekends.
Angels Rest and the ridgewalk before it are very nice when it's not clouded in.

Keep an eye out for blackberries and deer friends. Happy hiking!

Rain Man
08-13-2010, 21:50
I was just hiking that section from July 27th- Aug 1st.

Just north of Atkins the trail goes through a few cow pastures. Say hello to the little black/brown one for me. At one point there were about 25 young ones following me. Great company! :)

Thanks for the info. I'm headed back out there next weekend. Here are your buddies, from my last hike (in July), through those cow pastures.

Rain:sunMan